ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-09-2019, 02:52 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
What games did you watch that gave you that impression? The tape I watched showed a guy with traits who needs to develop more. Honestly, I watched he and D'Andre Walker back to back and they graded out similarly to me. The biggest difference I saw between those two players is Walker could be had at 59 or 89, where Burns may be gone by 26.
Miami and VA Tech. Not full games. Admittedly I knew those and the Wake Forrest game were his best.

He's not a top 5 or 10 pick. He is physically mid-development. If he'd had a great Combine at 238 lbs. I would not be interested. But he showed high-end athleticism with 20 brand new lbs. on his body. He has a nice spin move. He showed he uses his hands well. If he had the same skill set at 265 lbs. I think we'd be talking about a top 5 selection, and we'd have zero shot at him. As it is, I think he might have a special skill set and can reach that body weight near the start of the season.

There's a very good chance we still don't get a shot at him.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:40 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Owen View Post
We, at Full Press Coverage Colts, got together and put down some idea's on what our dream, and nightmare, outcomes for this upcoming Colts draft would be. Great read, check it out and leave us your thoughts!

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2019/0...ares-and-more/
Decent article. My nitemare is Hakeem Butler in the first followed by a corner or RB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Lawrence Owen (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 06:29 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Miami and VA Tech. Not full games. Admittedly I knew those and the Wake Forrest game were his best.

He's not a top 5 or 10 pick. He is physically mid-development. If he'd had a great Combine at 238 lbs. I would not be interested. But he showed high-end athleticism with 20 brand new lbs. on his body. He has a nice spin move. He showed he uses his hands well. If he had the same skill set at 265 lbs. I think we'd be talking about a top 5 selection, and we'd have zero shot at him. As it is, I think he might have a special skill set and can reach that body weight near the start of the season.

There's a very good chance we still don't get a shot at him.
Burns has 3 legit rush moves (speed, spin, swim). Dam, if he were more consistent, he’d be a top 5 pick with his athleticism and skill set.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:24 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Burns has 3 legit rush moves (speed, spin, swim). Dam, if he were more consistent, he’d be a top 5 pick with his athleticism and skill set.
I like the athleticism, and, as you've mentioned before, the variety of at least rudimentary pass rush moves he already has to work with. I just don't see the dominance on film that makes me think top 5/top 15 pick. As an example, the thing that sold me on Robert Quinn way back in 2011 was his film against Anthony Castanzo. He made Castanzo, who was rated as the top OT in an admittedly weak OT class, look silly the whole game. Snap after snap Quinn was winning that battle and eventually forcing doubles and chips to his side. Comparatively, I watched Burns against Jonah Williams, and while Williams lost a snap here and there and occasionally got a chip or a double to help, for the most part Williams just stonewalled Burns. I'm not judging by that game alone, of course, and for all we know, Jonah Williams could be the next Joe Thomas, but it shows that at least right now, Burns would struggle against an NFL caliber starting LT, which isn't what I expect from a top 15 edge rusher. He definitely has traits that can be molded and potentially turned into a great player, but he's not there yet, and he should at least be a lot closer for top 15 consideration.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I like the athleticism, and, as you've mentioned before, the variety of at least rudimentary pass rush moves he already has to work with. I just don't see the dominance on film that makes me think top 5/top 15 pick. As an example, the thing that sold me on Robert Quinn way back in 2011 was his film against Anthony Castanzo. He made Castanzo, who was rated as the top OT in an admittedly weak OT class, look silly the whole game. Snap after snap Quinn was winning that battle and eventually forcing doubles and chips to his side. Comparatively, I watched Burns against Jonah Williams, and while Williams lost a snap here and there and occasionally got a chip or a double to help, for the most part Williams just stonewalled Burns. I'm not judging by that game alone, of course, and for all we know, Jonah Williams could be the next Joe Thomas, but it shows that at least right now, Burns would struggle against an NFL caliber starting LT, which isn't what I expect from a top 15 edge rusher. He definitely has traits that can be molded and potentially turned into a great player, but he's not there yet, and he should at least be a lot closer for top 15 consideration.
Your points about the matchup with Jonah Williams seem fair, but Castonzo was the 3rd tackle in that draft behind Tyron Smith and Nate Solder. Quinn was taken 8 spots in front of Castonzo. It isn’t apples to apples.

Edit: I take back my first statement. Alabama and Florida St didn’t play in 2018. I’m not reading into Burns performance against Williams in 2017 after the growth Burns showed in 2018. Not to be a dick, but there’s so much wrong or misleading in your last post that I feel it should be redacted.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 04-09-2019 at 10:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (04-09-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 02:26 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Your points about the matchup with Jonah Williams seem fair, but Castonzo was the 3rd tackle in that draft behind Tyron Smith and Nate Solder. Quinn was taken 8 spots in front of Castonzo. It isn’t apples to apples.

Edit: I take back my first statement. Alabama and Florida St didn’t play in 2018. I’m not reading into Burns performance against Williams in 2017 after the growth Burns showed in 2018. Not to be a dick, but there’s so much wrong or misleading in your last post that I feel it should be redacted.
Was the Alabama matchup 2017? I was watching it late at night and honestly don't follow college football much, so I didn't know based on watching the college season. It's certainly fair to say that tape from 2017 on a player like Burns isn't good evaluation material. Also, I'd honestly forgotten Tyron Smith was in that class, but Castanzo was considered the top OT prior to early entrants and was still widely considered the 2nd best OT. Nate Solder was drafted before him, but a lot of people thought he would have to move to guard because his pass pro was so bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 11:17 AM

Saw an article today on NFL.com about the possibility of Drew Lock falling if the Broncos don’t take him at 10. In that scenario, I wonder if Elway might offer 41 and 71 to come up to 26 for him. I could see Ballard being interested unless one of his top 15 prospects falls.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Saw an article today on NFL.com about the possibility of Drew Lock falling if the Broncos don’t take him at 10. In that scenario, I wonder if Elway might offer 41 and 71 to come up to 26 for him. I could see Ballard being interested unless one of his top 15 prospects falls.
I'd rather get their 1 next year than their 3 this year. For a 15 spot drop and the fact that they're coming up for what they must believe is a franchise QB, they should be willing to do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Discflinger (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I'd rather get their 1 next year than their 3 this year. For a 15 spot drop and the fact that they're coming up for what they must believe is a franchise QB, they should be willing to do that.
I'm not sure that's realistic. I would guess that several teams at the bottom of the 1st would be willing to take 41 and 71. There also might not be enough QB-needy teams that the Broncos would feel they need to jump. Also, if the Broncos like a QB that much, why wouldn't they just take him at 10 and avoid giving up their 1st next year?

Last edited by VeveJones007; 04-17-2019 at 12:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-17-2019)

Tags
colts, nfl