ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-04-2022, 07:42 PM

Thanked 1,331 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Ryan is not the problem outside of the fumbling. I'm not being a smart ass, I like a lot of what he's doing. But like I said in the other thread... a relatively simple negative play turns into a game-altering catastrophe. 9 fumbles is bananas. That's two games where the offense was moving, but we kept giving it away.

As for the OL... Reich basically said in coach-speak today that we're compensating for two guys. We have a guard playing LT and a back-up playing RG. Raimann needs to bump Pryor inside. I think that would help the run-game a lot, too.

For now, the coaches seem to think that the pass-pro was much better yesterday and I agree. They got beat a few times (other guys get paid, too) but there wasn't this non-stop onslaught collapsing the pocket every play like JAX/KC. If we can pass like yesterday going forward and Ryan can simply fall on the ball if he's in trouble... I think they can beat a lot of teams.
This is what should piss us of the most. How the hell did the coaching staff and FO not realize that Pryor isn't quick enough off the snap to block speed rushers or that Pinter isn't strong enough to play OG in the NFL? It's just fucking mind boggling.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 08:48 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
This is what should piss us of the most. How the hell did the coaching staff and FO not realize that Pryor isn't quick enough off the snap to block speed rushers or that Pinter isn't strong enough to play OG in the NFL? It's just fucking mind boggling.
Well, look, there's multiple aspects to this. For the guys we have... Pryor has been serviceable. Obviously he's not ideal, but he's not totally lost. He's just a guard. Pinter spelled Kelly last year and did decent. I'm really surprised at how poorly he played.

They still drafted Raimann to be the LT. It's clear they want him to take over with the rotation and unfortunately his injury halted that progress. By the way, he was full participation last Friday and looks like he's not on the injury report anymore. Hopefully this happens soon.

And then we just can't know about free agency except in regards to the teams that sign the guys. Like we talked about Terron Armstead a lot here. Did the Colts not like him? Was 5yr/$75m too expensive? Did Armstead just flat out say "No" to the Colts? I would love to know that kind of stuff, but unfortunately all we can know is that he signed with Miami.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
apballin (10-05-2022), Racehorse (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Well, look, there's multiple aspects to this. For the guys we have... Pryor has been serviceable. Obviously he's not ideal, but he's not totally lost. He's just a guard. Pinter spelled Kelly last year and did decent. I'm really surprised at how poorly he played.

They still drafted Raimann to be the LT. It's clear they want him to take over with the rotation and unfortunately his injury halted that progress. By the way, he was full participation last Friday and looks like he's not on the injury report anymore. Hopefully this happens soon.

And then we just can't know about free agency except in regards to the teams that sign the guys. Like we talked about Terron Armstead a lot here. Did the Colts not like him? Was 5yr/$75m too expensive? Did Armstead just flat out say "No" to the Colts? I would love to know that kind of stuff, but unfortunately all we can know is that he signed with Miami.
Pryor's been a turnstile a couple of games, and as you said he's a guard not a tackle. Why would the FO even consider handing him the starting job at the most important spot on the OL at a position he isn't suited for? They saw him in practice everyday for an entire season and unless they're completely incompetent (which they might be) they must know he's not suited to play LT.

Same goes for Pinter. Like you I am surprised that he struggled as much as he did, but you and I aren't watching him in practice everyday. I read that Pinter struggled all throughout training camp w/ bull rushes, which of course continued into the season. This can't be something new with him. You would think at least Strausser would have known that Pinter would be a disaster, and that he would let Ballard know this before Ballard let's guys like Glow and Reed walk with the expectation that Pinter could step in as a starter. Maybe the FO and coaching staff are working in silos or Strausser is too big of a pussy to say anything to Ballard.

Agree on Raimann, but it can't be wise to pin your hopes on a 3rd round rookie out of mid major who's only played the position for 2 years. Not to say that he's not going to pan out in the long term, but from a realistic standpoint he's probably going to struggle his rookie year.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Spike (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 12:32 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
You would think at least Strausser would have known that Pinter would be a disaster, and that he would let Ballard know this before Ballard let's guys like Glow and Reed walk with the expectation that Pinter could step in as a starter.
I think it was you and me that talked about it when it happened... But to me, letting Glow and then Reed leave were some of the more surprising moves they've made. Didn't like it then, don't like it now.

I can only guess that they were satisfied Painter's 2021 film and thought he could make the move to guard. His backup being young Will Fries might be part of the reason they stuck with him so long. Fries had much better pass-pro than Pinter.

But Pryor is massive and God knows we need some push in the interior. I really hope they're considering it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
apballin (10-05-2022), Racehorse (10-05-2022), Spike (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 12:08 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

My guess is they didnt want to pay glow and reed, I am surprised they didnt keep one of them. They bet on pinter and lost.

I get that maybe they couldnt get a LT to sign, but if truly believed that pryor was acceptable then they have major issues.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I think it was you and me that talked about it when it happened... But to me, letting Glow and then Reed leave were some of the more surprising moves they've made. Didn't like it then, don't like it now.

I can only guess that they were satisfied Painter's 2021 film and thought he could make the move to guard. His backup being young Will Fries might be part of the reason they stuck with him so long. Fries had much better pass-pro than Pinter.

But Pryor is massive and God knows we need some push in the interior. I really hope they're considering it.
Yeah, I hope they are too. And if Raimann isn't ready then put Dennis Kelly at LT and move Pryor to RG.

Agree on Glow and Reed. Especially Glow b/c based on what we've seen this year he may have been our best OL and the glue that kept the OL from turning into a shit sandwich. Also, I know Reed probably gave Minny a somewhat hometown discount, but you would think we could have outbid them for not much more than the 2 year, $4.5M contract they gave him if he was given a legitimate chance to start here.

Last edited by IndyNorm; 10-05-2022 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
My guess is they didnt want to pay glow and reed, I am surprised they didnt keep one of them. They bet on pinter and lost.

I get that maybe they couldnt get a LT to sign, but if truly believed that pryor was acceptable then they have major issues.
I'm sure the plan has been to have Pinter replace Glow from the day Pinter was drafted, which that type of thing is pretty standard across the league. It's just crazy how far off the coaching staff/FO was on his evaluation after having him on the team for 2 seasons.

Agree that we maybe couldn't have brought in a FA LT w/out breaking the bank, but there had to have been a better option than Pryor. Just go look at the link in Chromeburn's post. Pryor is completely lost out there.