ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-29-2022, 02:03 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
How do you trade wentz without anyone else on the roster?
You ask a guy in the stands to take his spot, that guy without any practice and no physical training would already be more ready to throw the ball on time than Wentz. It's reached a point, you can't run it back. If for nothing else Jim can't run it back due to the overwhelming vitriol coming out of the fan base. People will start wearing brown paper bags next year, or worse yet, pretending to be invisible if Wentz is still hear next year. He MUST go.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:32 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
How do you trade wentz without anyone else on the roster?
My view will not be popular (ChoppedWood I'm looking at you) but at this point I think we should roll with Wentz next year. First, I always looked at this as a two year deal, with Wentz not reaching his potential with us until the second year. Second, JAFF your point about nobody else being on the roster is well taken by me. Third, I don't believe we are one QB away from competing for the Super Bowl. We need a pass rush, our defensive backs are not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination, we don't have enough weapons on offensive (and don't use the ones we have-Hines). Our offensive line completely sucked in pass blocking and we are about to replace our entire (almost) defensive coaching staff. Roger/Wilson (the main guys people seem to want) are both sitting home watching the playoffs. They were incapable of doing it with their current teams and I see nothing in our roster that would indicate that the exact same thing would not happen here. On top of all of this there is a kind of insanity to changing your QB each and every year, continuity is needed to win consistently. Wentz is a knucklehead. Knuckleheads can win in the NFL.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:43 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
My view will not be popular (ChoppedWood I'm looking at you) but at this point I think we should roll with Wentz next year. First, I always looked at this as a two year deal, with Wentz not reaching his potential with us until the second year. Second, JAFF your point about nobody else being on the roster is well taken by me. Third, I don't believe we are one QB away from competing for the Super Bowl. We need a pass rush, our defensive backs are not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination, we don't have enough weapons on offensive (and don't use the ones we have-Hines). Our offensive line completely sucked in pass blocking and we are about to replace our entire (almost) defensive coaching staff. Roger/Wilson (the main guys people seem to want) are both sitting home watching the playoffs. They were incapable of doing it with their current teams and I see nothing in our roster that would indicate that the exact same thing would not happen here. On top of all of this there is a kind of insanity to changing your QB each and every year, continuity is needed to win consistently. Wentz is a knucklehead. Knuckleheads can win in the NFL.
I was firmly in his corner until Jax. Even the Raiders game I sort of attached to the whole team being overly confident and just sort of taking one for granted. After Jax, I just can't see them keeping him. That's an ALL-TIME stinker and you can tell Jim is super ticked. To me, Jim is so ticked that someone among the three of Ballard, Reich, and Wentz has to hit the street and I don't see him parting with either of the first 2. IMO that tweet from the other night was a rather Irsayesque way of telling Frank and Chris it's their job to get a better QB in here STAT and that he feels like he was whamboozled with the pitch of Wentz being a solid rehab project and he wants to see action NOW. Good for him because I am heading towards a landing spot that Ballard and Reich are Grigs and Chuck 2.0 - which sucks! We appear to be in year 5 of a 55 year rebuild. Seeing the Rams do what they have done, gonna shoot their shot for the Lombardi tomorrow and we didn't even get in the derby, I think Irsay is going to demand Wentz be removed to set a clear tone for EVERYONE in the org that things better change and they better change quick.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:58 PM

I get being pissed after the Jax game. How about being pissed that Kelly was the third worst center in the league in pass blocking (he also was that before his tragedy) or that we were like 30th in pass blocking. Overall our defense was ok but we sucked on 3rd downs and really sucked in the 4th quarter. Whoever is our QB next year it won't be a 'franchise' QB and even if it was we had one for two decades and got one Super Bowl our of it. The two we won we had a mediocre QB (against Dallas Unitas was a shell of himself and nobody would claim Earl Morrall was a frachise QB, we beat Chicago in a freaking downpour where QB play was minimized). And as for the Jax game, if the freaking defense had not let a rookie QB walk down the field and gain confidence immediately who knows how things would have turned out. Wentz was shit, I don't like him at all but you need to get rid of almost the entire team if you want to clean house of people who shit the bed in Jacksonville. I'm not claiming this is a good option, but to me it sucks less than the alternatives. Not happy at all where we are.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:12 PM

Thanked 1,325 Times in 749 Posts

It wasn't just the Jagoffs game. Wentz was for the most part really bad over the last 10 games of the season (I put a nice summary of each of those games in the Wentz or Darnold thread). His shitty play was just overshadowed by a great run game and a win streak.

A good QB would make a lot of our offensive woes go away. Wentz sucks at pre-snap reads, his pocket presence is horrible, and he also sucks at his progressions which makes him hold onto the ball for far too long. A QB who was good at those things would make a world of difference in our pass blocking.

Also, while we do need to upgrade our receivers, our current ones aren't that bad as evidenced in Warner's analysis. Wentz is just too fucking stupid to throw the ball to open receivers. And when by chance he does throw to an open receiver it's usually high or behind them, never leading them. Again, a QB who actually throws to open receivers and is capable of leading them with their throws will make a world of difference.

Maybe going after an ageing franchise QB right now isn't the best move, but if we can get somewhat at least decent then we'd probably at least win the division and be solidly in the playoffs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (01-29-2022), Oldcolt (01-29-2022), Racehorse (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 04:23 PM

Good write up, you make a good argument for dumping him. I think there is an equally good argument for giving it another year-neither one excites me. We find ourselves stuck in a river a shit without any paddle because we decided to roll with Wentz.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 07:31 PM

Colts got their stud QBs by being really bad. It's all about timing.

Mediocre and below mediocre is hard to get out of. The Colts are there.

Plus we would have no idea how the coaching would work out.

Manning and Luck didn't spend their 1st season holding a clipboard. I don't know if that trend of sitting a rookie QB actually works. It is different when they are a backup to a stud QB.