ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-30-2022, 11:27 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I am going to call bullshit on Ballard being lucky. If many people here had had their way we would have signed someone immediately and not be there when Ryan came available. He signed Ryan and was able to do it because he continues to have a philosophy and doesn't move away from it even when things look hopeless. It isn't being a genius, but it is knowing who you are and what you believe in. Nobody is on any hot seat on this team, nor should they be. The team is headed in the right direction and will be a beast next year. Not because we will score a million points but because this will be a TEAM. Great on defense, good on offense and special teams. And it wont be a matter of luck that we are. It will be the organizational belief in a philosophy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
JAFF (03-30-2022), Racehorse (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 11:39 AM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Good. Fine. Wentz is gone and Ryan is here. What's done is done. Let's move on and get some more pieces in. Need WR, TE, CB, and S help.
CletusPyle (03-30-2022), Oldcolt (03-30-2022), rm1369 (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 01:01 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,668 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
I’m guessing Big Q had a huge voice in this

Could see and hear the frustration in the Tampa Bay game begging for a straight run call

Reichs love for Wentz clouded his judgment on game day
Ballard said something I thought was interesting. He said it would be good for Wentz to get away from familiarity. Or something along those lines. It Hey Siri’sreminded me of a kid who goes to work for dad but dad is too lenient and can only see his son. I wonder if that was the case here. Time for Wentz to go work in the real world, he won’t be coddled in DC. Will be interesting to see what happens there.

Also, the beat writers said a lot of people in the building were happy to see him go. Irsay may have made the call, but only after talking to a ton of people in the organization. He doesn’t make impulsive moves like Cowherd implied. Look at the process he went through to hire Ballard. He didn’t want to repeat his Grigson mistake. He fucking talked to everyone. To me, Wentz is a leadership vacuum. He got insecurity issues and I think it makes him aloof. That’s my read on the situation. Not even getting into his performance.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
apballin (03-30-2022), ChaosTheory (03-30-2022), CletusPyle (03-30-2022), Racehorse (03-30-2022), rcubed (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 01:29 PM

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I am going to call bullshit on Ballard being lucky. If many people here had had their way we would have signed someone immediately and not be there when Ryan came available. He signed Ryan and was able to do it because he continues to have a philosophy and doesn't move away from it even when things look hopeless. It isn't being a genius, but it is knowing who you are and what you believe in. Nobody is on any hot seat on this team, nor should they be. The team is headed in the right direction and will be a beast next year. Not because we will score a million points but because this will be a TEAM. Great on defense, good on offense and special teams. And it wont be a matter of luck that we are. It will be the organizational belief in a philosophy.
I didn't say he was lucky to get Ryan, I said he was lucky that Washington provided him the opportunity to get Ryan....big difference! I will give him credit for what he has done with the gift from the Commanders.
Oldcolt (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 01:54 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Also, the beat writers said a lot of people in the building were happy to see him go. Irsay may have made the call, but only after talking to a ton of people in the organization. He doesn’t make impulsive moves like Cowherd implied. Look at the process he went through to hire Ballard. He didn’t want to repeat his Grigson mistake. He fucking talked to everyone. To me, Wentz is a leadership vacuum. He got insecurity issues and I think it makes him aloof. That’s my read on the situation. Not even getting into his performance.
agree. I think Irsay acted very well during this situation. it was reported that he had his reservations and had to be sold on the trade for wentz, but went along with his two top guys. He ultimately didnt like the product but still took the time to meet with team leaders (players) to verify his point of view.

I think that reich was blinded/hopeful with his man-crush on wentz. I think ballard saw that it wasnt working but may have been hesitant due to the capital he gave up to get wentz. I think irsay said its a sunk cost and to fix it, but get it right this time. so yes, it was ultimately irsays call but looks like he had a sound process and wasnt being impulsive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
apballin (03-30-2022), Chromeburn (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 01:59 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
I mostly agree. Ballard has his philosophy/process and sticks to it. But as in a lot of things in life, luck plays into it. If ATL doesnt inquire about watson, maybe ryan doesnt come available and we end up with jimmy g's bum shoulder, or baker, or who knows. Ryan fell into ballard's lap but as you said, his lap was open because he waited, bit of both I would say.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:01 PM

Thanked 1,649 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Irsay may have made the call, but only after talking to a ton of people in the organization. He doesn’t make impulsive moves like Cowherd implied. Look at the process he went through to hire Ballard. He didn’t want to repeat his Grigson mistake. He fucking talked to everyone. To me, Wentz is a leadership vacuum. He got insecurity issues and I think it makes him aloof. That’s my read on the situation. Not even getting into his performance.
I agree about Irsay. I think it's trendy to make him out to be the rogue, unfiltered, reckless owner. I also agree with Wentz being aloof. I don't know about him being insecure and whatever... could be. But some people are (some combination of) laid back, less passionate, introverted, whatever. Qualities that don't lend themselves to being a top NFL QB.

I want our QB to have some fire and assertiveness...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odJL9FSla5Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
I didn't say he was lucky to get Ryan, I said he was lucky that Washington provided him the opportunity to get Ryan....big difference! I will give him credit for what he has done with the gift from the Commanders.
If anything, I'd kind of see that opposite. Matt Ryan wasn't on the table until a few days before he signed with us. That part was lucky. But having patience not to settle for a QB early and go out and spend all your fucking money and build a team and situation that would be appealing for him to join... I can't call that luck.

Same with Washington. I suppose you could say we were lucky that somebody needed a QB. But selling Wentz for a 2nd and a 3rd and his contract... Washington didn't come to the table with that price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (03-30-2022), Discflinger (03-31-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 02:56 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
agree. I think Irsay acted very well during this situation. it was reported that he had his reservations and had to be sold on the trade for wentz, but went along with his two top guys. He ultimately didnt like the product but still took the time to meet with team leaders (players) to verify his point of view.

I think that reich was blinded/hopeful with his man-crush on wentz. I think ballard saw that it wasnt working but may have been hesitant due to the capital he gave up to get wentz. I think irsay said its a sunk cost and to fix it, but get it right this time. so yes, it was ultimately irsays call but looks like he had a sound process and wasnt being impulsive.
I think Ballard listens to his coaches and tries to give them what they want personnel-wise. Why we traded for Yannick but didn't try to sign him a season ago. After this season I think Ballard aligned with Irsay, Reich wanted to try another season but relented. Eventually apologizing to Irsay after reviewing the season and what happened.

I don't agree with everything Ballard does, but he sure isn't shy about moving on from a mistake. Grigson would have held the guy for 3 more years.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:58 PM
Post whore

Quote:
League has been a turnstile of QB movement lately. Wentz became available last year and you could say that was lucky since he has franchise QB potential (but maybe too broken now). But every year QB's have been moving. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kyler Murray available next year, maybe Lamar. Its not like it used to be, when a franchise QB stays with his team forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 03:00 PM

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory

If anything, I'd kind of see that opposite. Matt Ryan wasn't on the table until a few days before he signed with us. That part was lucky. But having patience not to settle for a QB early and go out and spend all your fucking money and build a team and situation that would be appealing for him to join... I can't call that luck.

Same with Washington. I suppose you could say we were lucky that somebody needed a QB. But selling Wentz for a 2nd and a 3rd and his contract... Washington didn't come to the table with that price.
The timing was lucky on Ryan, but he had other options and was willing to wait and not act impulsively, so I give him credit. Washington wanting Wentz was luckier than hell, I see no indication that other teams were interested and Washington was not the only team that NEEDED a QB. Maybe he got more for Wentz than other GMs could have, I don't know if that is true or not, but having someone willing to take Wentz off our hands after we totally shit the bed when we acquired him was pure luck in my opinion...but what does it really matter, I like how it worked out, I'm just not in awe of Ballard because of it.