ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-22-2019, 08:42 AM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
I take your point, but would argue that there were multiple such games in 2017. He started 8 days after signing, went on to a 4-12 record and was sacked 52 times.

I don't view that he has anything else to prove in terms of his resiliency.
Very sound points and in some respects a testimony to what he is made of. You could make a point that in that season which was an absolute disaster, he never had one of these complete crapper games from the QB position- think Donald from last night... no scratch that, the local high school kid would resign in deference to the integrity of the game if he played that bad...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking forward to one of those games but I'm not naive that one isn't going to happen and when it does, my bet is he sacks up and comes roaring back ala Peyton or Luck and doesn't fade out like so many other "flash in the pan" guys have...
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Pez (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 09:48 AM

I think one big difference between most of the Manning led teams and the Luck led teams and this team is that if Manning or Luck had bad or even mediocre games, the Colts lost. This team has a bunch of contributors. All of them are capable of playing good or bad games, but there are so many, that opposing teams can't key on one, two or even three players to shut us down. You have 3 RBs with different skill sets, 3 TEs, several WRs (when healthy), studs on the OL and on defense, there are now some pass rushers, lbers and DBs that can impact the game with turnovers or sacks. The defense is not great, but getting better all the time. With this balance, it's possible for Jacoby to have a pedestrian game and the team still wins. With Manning and Luck, they needed to play well or we lost.

Last edited by albany ed; 10-22-2019 at 09:50 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to albany ed For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (10-22-2019), indycolts2 (10-22-2019), JAFF (10-23-2019), Oldcolt (10-22-2019), Racehorse (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 01:33 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Quietly, Brissett has:
4th most passing TDs in the league
3rd least interceptions
24th least pass attempts
I think a lot of the 'game manager' talk is just people latching on to a term and using it so they have something to say.

More accurately, Reich's game plan produces a different set of expectations from the Quarterback position than we see frequently. JB so far is filling the role. If Vinny had made one of his two missed FGs, or made his extra point In week 1, we would be a 5-1 team and the conversations about us would be different.

There's some interesting poultry going on: How much is Reich changing for Brissett and how mush is Brissett changing for Reich?
I think it’s just people trying to make an evaluation on limited data. It’s the culture we have created be first to get the word out no matter if it’s accurate or not.

We saw him take a backseat to the run game, so he was a game manager.

We then saw him throw a lot on a defense with a poor secondary and determined to stop the run, so now he is a game changer.

I think he is doing pretty well, but he also has a good team around him. The question I have about him is can he beat the best defenses at playoff time. When they have shut down the run game and he has to pass to win. A team that has a good secondary. Now scheme will help him a lot, but at some point he will have to make those impossible throws to win a game. Can he do it? Hopefully we will find out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Pez (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I think it’s just people trying to make an evaluation on limited data. It’s the culture we have created be first to get the word out no matter if it’s accurate or not.

We saw him take a backseat to the run game, so he was a game manager.

We then saw him throw a lot on a defense with a poor secondary and determined to stop the run, so now he is a game changer.

I think he is doing pretty well, but he also has a good team around him. The question I have about him is can he beat the best defenses at playoff time. When they have shut down the run game and he has to pass to win. A team that has a good secondary. Now scheme will help him a lot, but at some point he will have to make those impossible throws to win a game. Can he do it? Hopefully we will find out.
That last point you make is why I'm hoping Campbell gets healthy and becomes the weapon Colts brass envisioned and Funchess as well. I refuse to take shots at those receivers who are available because it seems they always are but Campbell/Funchess were supposed to be game changers and if faced with a top defense and having to pass in order to win JB needs them out there.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
By the way, I do think that if Brissett continues to play well, he WILL try his best to break the Colts' bank. I would do the same thing, so I don't expect anything different from Jacoby.
I hope we get to find out. I'm always intrigued by the mentality of QB's who feel setting the new bar is more important than still getting generational wealth yet making sure the team can still maneuver and not be handicapped by their contract.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:39 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycolts2 View Post
That last point you make is why I'm hoping Campbell gets healthy and becomes the weapon Colts brass envisioned and Funchess as well. I refuse to take shots at those receivers who are available because it seems they always are but Campbell/Funchess were supposed to be game changers and if faced with a top defense and having to pass in order to win JB needs them out there.
Funchess likely will become an outlet on blitz downs with mancoverage. Parris seems like a gadget weapon right now. He can run deep but JB has trouble knowing when to pull the trigger on those deep balls and is late often in his timing. Still should be a bit better with them.

Quote:
I hope we get to find out. I'm always intrigued by the mentality of QB's who feel setting the new bar is more important than still getting generational wealth yet making sure the team can still maneuver and not be handicapped by their contract.
Who does this? I can think of Brady and that’s it. Everyone else wants to get paid just like any other industry.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 10-22-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:03 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Where was this said that Funchess was supposed to be a "game changer"?
Old 10-23-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Where was this said that Funchess was supposed to be a "game changer"?
Not sure where it was said, BUT, there's 13 million rea$ons to think that Ballard thought as much.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:32 AM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o
(vs. TEXANS, 10/20)

Jacoby Brissett became just the 3rd QB in franchise history (1953 - Present) to have thrown 4 TD passes, 0 INT's, and 300 or more yards in a single game.

The other 2 to have done so ......... Johnny Unitas and Peyton Manning.

SOURCE: ) ESPN News Services

o

Jacoby was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Texans.

Congratulations to him - well deserved!

https://www.colts.com/news/jacoby-br...-week-7-texans
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (10-23-2019), Pez (10-24-2019), Racehorse (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 11:56 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
Not sure where it was said, BUT, there's 13 million rea$ons to think that Ballard thought as much.
That's the natural progression of salaries.

He's the 24th highest avg salary WR, and tied for 155th in overal league avg salary.

I still am not seeing why there is this expectation of him being a game changer.