ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-21-2019, 04:23 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Luck had 83 interceptions in 86 games. Brissett has 10 in 29 games. Brissett throws about 1/3 the interceptions and averages about half the TD's (about 2 per game for Luck vs 1 per game for Brissett) Makes sense, Luck was a full on gunslinger, Brissett isn't in that mold. We can win with either, just in different ways.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
For me, the bottom line is that I don't think JB will ever be an elite NFL QB, but that may end up being his greatest value. When it comes time for a new contract, he'll command a substantial raise, but not a bank breaking salary that forces a team to let other important parts of the team seek greener pastures elsewhere. Thus, we can keep the nucleus of this team together and continue to get stronger.
By the way, I do think that if Brissett continues to play well, he WILL try his best to break the Colts' bank. I would do the same thing, so I don't expect anything different from Jacoby.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:32 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Luck had 83 interceptions in 86 games. Brissett has 10 in 29 games. Brissett throws about 1/3 the interceptions and averages about half the TD's (about 2 per game for Luck vs 1 per game for Brissett) Makes sense, Luck was a full on gunslinger, Brissett isn't in that mold. We can win with either, just in different ways.
We had to play that way with the teams that Luck was at the helm of. The running game sucked. The defense sucked. The coaching was AWFUL and put them in bad situations. Brissett has a balanced team with a very good offensive line and a good coaching staff. He doesn't need to take the chances that Luck had to take.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (10-21-2019), Racehorse (10-22-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 08:46 PM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
We had to play that way with the teams that Luck was at the helm of. The running game sucked. The defense sucked. The coaching was AWFUL and put them in bad situations. Brissett has a balanced team with a very good offensive line and a good coaching staff. He doesn't need to take the chances that Luck had to take.
Boom!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:57 PM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts

I am thrilled with the play of Brissett to this point. He has played within the system and he has made the plays necessary to win games. We lost one game in OT and despite playing an overall blah game against the Raiders we were still in a position to tie it until he threw a bad INT- and then he STILL managed to throw a late game desperation TD to give us an onside chance.

To me the final piece will be how he responds to a real shitter of a game- and without question there is going to be one. I'm talking a 3 INT, 35-10 beat down game where he gets sacked and just looks like shit. If he bounces back from one of those- then we'll know we have the QB we need to lead this team for the long haul. Peyton had those games and you never worried that it would impact his long term trajectory and the next game out he would go for 400 and 4. That's the last piece of the JB mosiac I am looking for.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
By the way, I do think that if Brissett continues to play well, he WILL try his best to break the Colts' bank. I would do the same thing, so I don't expect anything different from Jacoby.
IMO, Jacoby will never be at Luck's level. Luck piloted a weak and uninspired team. His talents and nearly his talents alone lifted the team to the playoffs. Jacoby pilots a young, talented team with one of the best OLs in the game and what appears to be a great coach. I like Jacoby and I want him to continue to grow and lead this team, but not at the expense of a top five QB salary. I wouldn't pay him at that rate and I don't think any team in the NFL would, unless he improves by LEAPS AND BOUNDS over his current abilities.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:50 AM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I'll admit that Brissett has been pleasant surprise so far. His 14-3 TD/INT ratio and a 65% completion rate are pluses and much better than expected. Luck, by the way, averaged less than 1 INT per game for his entire career, so he really wasn't INT prone either.

I still can't say that I trust Brissett to maintain this pace for the remainder of the year. Perhaps that's just my inherent bias against backup QBs who are suddenly thrust into the starting role - I just figure their weaknesses will eventually be exposed once the other teams get enough tape on them, and they'll eventually implode. I never really bought into Ballard's pre-season statements about Brissett being a "top 20" QB (which, when you think about it, really just means they thought he was the 20th best starting QB in the league, which itself isn't THAT great). The league hasn't figured him out so far, however, and he appears to be getting stronger.

In any event, Brissett's proven me wrong so far. Whatever his weaknesses, he's done the job better than expected. It's all made a little sweeter that we got him from NE as well, I must admit. Dorsett's played OK for them, but we got the better of that deal for sure.
There is well over a full season of tape on Brissett out there already.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:05 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
I am thrilled with the play of Brissett to this point. He has played within the system and he has made the plays necessary to win games. We lost one game in OT and despite playing an overall blah game against the Raiders we were still in a position to tie it until he threw a bad INT- and then he STILL managed to throw a late game desperation TD to give us an onside chance.

To me the final piece will be how he responds to a real shitter of a game- and without question there is going to be one. I'm talking a 3 INT, 35-10 beat down game where he gets sacked and just looks like shit. If he bounces back from one of those- then we'll know we have the QB we need to lead this team for the long haul. Peyton had those games and you never worried that it would impact his long term trajectory and the next game out he would go for 400 and 4. That's the last piece of the JB mosiac I am looking for.
I am NEVER looking for us to lose that badly.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:23 AM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post

I take your point, but would argue that there were multiple such games in 2017. He started 8 days after signing, went on to a 4-12 record and was sacked 52 times.

I don't view that he has anything else to prove in terms of his resiliency.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
The Following User Says Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
southside asshole (10-24-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 08:27 AM
Accidental Administrator

Quietly, Brissett has:
4th most passing TDs in the league
3rd least interceptions
24th least pass attempts
I think a lot of the 'game manager' talk is just people latching on to a term and using it so they have something to say.

More accurately, Reich's game plan produces a different set of expectations from the Quarterback position than we see frequently. JB so far is filling the role. If Vinny had made one of his two missed FGs, or made his extra point In week 1, we would be a 5-1 team and the conversations about us would be different.

There's some interesting poultry going on: How much is Reich changing for Brissett and how mush is Brissett changing for Reich?

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (10-22-2019), Colts And Orioles (10-22-2019), Racehorse (10-22-2019)