ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-31-2018, 12:38 PM

Default How good is this defense?

I like what i am seeing generally, but we did face a fairly easy schedule, and played some of the weakest QB's i could imagine throughout an entire season. So might need to temper expectations in these playoffs and next season.

Week 1 Andy Dalton - Joe Mixon
Week 2 Alex Smith - Adrian Peterson
Week 3 Carson Wentz making his seasons debut coming back from serious injury - Josh Adams
Week 4 DeShaun Watson - Lamar Miller
Week 5 Tom Brady - James White
Week 6 Sam Darnold - Isaiah Crowell
Week 7 Derek Anderson - LeSean McCoy
Week 8 Derek Carr - Doug Martin
Week 9 Bye
Week 10 Blake Bortles - Leonard Fournette
Week 11 Marcus Mariota/Blaine Gabbert - Derrick Henry
Week 12 Ryan Tannehill - Frank Gore
Week 13 Cody Kessler - Carlos Hyde
Week 14 DeShaun Watson - Lamar Miller
Week 15 Dak Prescott - Ezekiel Elliott
Week 16 Eli Manning - Saquon Barkley
Week 17 Blaine Gabbert - Derrick Henry

We managed to avoid most of the seasons leading passers in Roethlisberger, Mahomes, Ryan, Goff, Rodgers, Rivers, Cousins. I don't think i would consider any of the QB's whom we faced this season to have been pro bowl worthy.

Against the run throughout the entire season we have been very good, and we have faced some of the leagues best here.

I think we have a very nice platform to build from, but this defense is far from the finished article and would be ripped apart in my opinion by some of the better offenses/QB's in the league as it stands now.

Thankfully we are also playing well on offense, so who knows, maybe we can play ball with the top teams in these playoffs, fingers crossed that's the case.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:16 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

agree. even though, we are much further along than anyone imagined at the beginning of the season. it might not be great yet but its good and has done especially well shutting down some of the better running games in the league. another off season and some added talent and we could have something special. things are trending well for this team.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
sherck (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 01:24 PM

Thanked 4,297 Times in 1,758 Posts

The defense has definitely been helped out by inept offenses. They have been much better than I thought they would be
Old 12-31-2018, 01:44 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,662 Times in 961 Posts

This team still needs a pass rush and DL depth. Half of this DL or more will need to be replaced within 2-3 seasons, and this defense needs an elite pass rusher.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (12-31-2018), sherck (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 01:52 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

I guess we will see in the playoffs if we get past Texans and play very good to elite QB. I think Rivers and Mahomes might light this D up for 45+. I hope I would be wrong.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:56 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

You can only play the schedule you're given. In the second half of the season, the defense has played very well and has been top ten ranked. They shut out a hot Cowboys team. They have shut down some of the best runners in the league.

That said, for this scheme to be really effective they need to be able to pressure with just the front four. The Bears defense is the ideal model. We probably won't find a Khalil Mack, but we do need better interior and outside pass rush. Everything will improve if that does.

I will say that a lot of the players are growing and getting better. Kenny Moore has been growing by leaps and bounds.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 12-31-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
I like what i am seeing generally, but we did face a fairly easy schedule, and played some of the weakest QB's i could imagine throughout an entire season. So might need to temper expectations in these playoffs and next season.

Week 1 Andy Dalton - Joe Mixon
Week 2 Alex Smith - Adrian Peterson
Week 3 Carson Wentz making his seasons debut coming back from serious injury - Josh Adams
Week 4 DeShaun Watson - Lamar Miller
Week 5 Tom Brady - James White
Week 6 Sam Darnold - Isaiah Crowell
Week 7 Derek Anderson - LeSean McCoy
Week 8 Derek Carr - Doug Martin
Week 9 Bye
Week 10 Blake Bortles - Leonard Fournette
Week 11 Marcus Mariota/Blaine Gabbert - Derrick Henry
Week 12 Ryan Tannehill - Frank Gore
Week 13 Cody Kessler - Carlos Hyde
Week 14 DeShaun Watson - Lamar Miller
Week 15 Dak Prescott - Ezekiel Elliott
Week 16 Eli Manning - Saquon Barkley
Week 17 Blaine Gabbert - Derrick Henry

We managed to avoid most of the seasons leading passers in Roethlisberger, Mahomes, Ryan, Goff, Rodgers, Rivers, Cousins. I don't think i would consider any of the QB's whom we faced this season to have been pro bowl worthy.

Against the run throughout the entire season we have been very good, and we have faced some of the leagues best here.

I think we have a very nice platform to build from, but this defense is far from the finished article and would be ripped apart in my opinion by some of the better offenses/QB's in the league as it stands now.

Thankfully we are also playing well on offense, so who knows, maybe we can play ball with the top teams in these playoffs, fingers crossed that's the case.
We'll I guess we'll find out next year when we play a bunch of those - on the road too.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:53 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Agree that they’ve feasted on some bad QBs. That isn’t their fault obviously.

I think there are some obvious problems. They still vacate and concede the middle of the field too often which can lead to long drives. They still play too far off the receiver on 3rd down at times. They’ve done well without a premier pass rusher but as someone else said, adding one of those would help the entire defense significantly. An improved NT would help as well.

Overall I’m impressed with the job Eberflus has done.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:00 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

This defense kind of reminds me of the Miami no name defenses of 1972. The sum seems much better than the individual parts, ie they play as a team. I don’t think they are as good as Miami but what the hell do I know. I never in my wildest dreams thought that they would be as good as they are now. I’m beginning to believe. If Kelly can come back I think it makes our offensive line dominant and maybe, just maybe the football gods will take us to Atlanta
Old 12-31-2018, 03:05 PM

Thanked 1,673 Times in 800 Posts

Well the browns have put in a request to interview Eberflus.

Fuck.