ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-15-2022, 09:48 AM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post
I am waiting to judge Ryan and the first team offense until JT is lined up behind him.

I have always hated Hines lined up single back behind QB and running between the tackles. That is NOT who he is. We wasted at least one down per set of downs early running him like he is JT instead of NH. The draw for 14 yards was the only NH play they called for him. Get him out in space; run wheel routes and shallow outs. NH behind QB between the tackles is a wasted down.

This offense will run as JT (and to a lesser extent Lindsey Phillips) runs it. Play action and our passing game will come from an effective run game.
Reverse that.

But yeah, things will look different in a real game because everything is so basic in preseason. Not much scheme help. But you can still see if an OL misses a block, if a DE gets stood up, if a WR doesn't get separation.

WR for instance, these guys didn't look too great the other day, but it wouldn't surprise me if a more creative scheme helps them out a ton. They still need work, of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
JAFF (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 09:55 AM

Thanked 1,673 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post

No, I just think he is better than he showed us, especially down the stretch. Maybe the Washington coaching staff will do a better job getting the most out of him? In case anyone is interested, here's a look at his first TD drive....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSva-HBB8YQ
He made all the safe throws on that drive, the kind of stuff he didn't do with us. But wait until its a real game with pressure, and then see what he does...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (08-15-2022), Racehorse (08-15-2022), Spike (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 10:09 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
I am waiting to judge Ryan and the first team offense until JT is lined up behind him.

I have always hated Hines lined up single back behind QB and running between the tackles. That is NOT who he is. We wasted at least one down per set of downs early running him like he is JT instead of NH. The draw for 14 yards was the only NH play they called for him. Get him out in space; run wheel routes and shallow outs. NH behind QB between the tackles is a wasted down.

This offense will run as JT (and to a lesser extent Lindsey Phillips) runs it. Play action and our passing game will come from an effective run game.
They may be playing Hines more with Taylor if they cant find better option at the WR spot.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:44 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

It is beginning to look to me like this is going to be a defensive heavy unit this year. Banogu played well. If he could make a move it would be great for the defense. Cornerback looks like it is going to be a strength. The D line could be a terror. If we make a run this year it will be because we are a balanced team. This defense has a chance to be something special. Offense is still feeling its way so it is hard to say how they will be.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (08-15-2022), Ironshaft (08-16-2022), JAFF (08-15-2022), Racehorse (08-15-2022), Spike (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:

I get this vibe like the organization and the fan base is essentially trying to “will” Hines into being our own Darren Sproles.

I just don’t see it. To me, he’s a poor man’s Sproles. I will concede it’s hard to assess that given Wentz outright refusal to play competent football last year.

I genuinely get disgusted when I see him like up to return punts. Dude does not look like he feels natural fielding punts compared to someone life Rodgers, and when he does run I feel like the difference is soooo clear. I wish they’d just let Rodgers take ownership of all the return duties.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:41 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Session View Post
I get this vibe like the organization and the fan base is essentially trying to “will” Hines into being our own Darren Sproles.

I just don’t see it. To me, he’s a poor man’s Sproles. I will concede it’s hard to assess that given Wentz outright refusal to play competent football last year.

I genuinely get disgusted when I see him like up to return punts. Dude does not look like he feels natural fielding punts compared to someone life Rodgers, and when he does run I feel like the difference is soooo clear. I wish they’d just let Rodgers take ownership of all the return duties.
I agree, I like Hines, but I think his involvement will be difficult. He is a great player, but I don't see where playing to his strengths fits into our overall scheme.

If a place is made for him in our scheme, we definitely don't want him returning punts.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 08-15-2022, 05:13 PM

Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Reverse that.

But yeah, things will look different in a real game because everything is so basic in preseason. Not much scheme help. But you can still see if an OL misses a block, if a DE gets stood up, if a WR doesn't get separation.

WR for instance, these guys didn't look too great the other day, but it wouldn't surprise me if a more creative scheme helps them out a ton. They still need work, of course.
That is my thought. They have plays designed for JT, but Hines is in. It is not to see how Hines does, but to see if the line can do their job on those plays.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:37 PM

Thanked 1,673 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Session View Post

I have to say, there has been a shit ton of hype for Hines for a good 2 years. Just everyone keeps saying "oh yea don't forget about this guy" and "what a weapon the Colts have in Hines" but I've yet to really see it. Sure he's made some plays, I'm not saying that, but he hasn't done anything like make game altering plays, or just flat out dominate a game like JT does (or thinking of TY vs the Texans). He just seems to have a few nice splash plays every now and then and lots of dud plays.

But I do still wonder if it wasn't Wentz just not calling the right play when Hines was in the backfield.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 05:36 PM

Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I have to say, there has been a shit ton of hype for Hines for a good 2 years. Just everyone keeps saying "oh yea don't forget about this guy" and "what a weapon the Colts have in Hines" but I've yet to really see it. Sure he's made some plays, I'm not saying that, but he hasn't done anything like make game altering plays, or just flat out dominate a game like JT does (or thinking of TY vs the Texans). He just seems to have a few nice splash plays every now and then and lots of dud plays.

But I do still wonder if it wasn't Wentz just not calling the right play when Hines was in the backfield.
Probably Wentz
Old 08-16-2022, 05:52 PM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post

Definitely a lot of that was on Wentz, and also Brissett in '19. Here's his overall production by year:

'18 - 739 yds (314 rush/425 rec); 4 TDs (2/2)
'19 - 519 yds (199 rush/320 rec): 2 TDs (1/0)
'20 - 862 yds (380 rush/482 rec): 7 TDs (3/4)
'21 - 586 yds (276/310); 3 TDs (2/1)

While he's never going to be a good feature back he's definitely proven he's a good weapon when he has a good QB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (08-16-2022), Racehorse (08-16-2022)