ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-23-2022, 07:17 PM

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Check downs happen when you get to the end of your progression. We could take all the wr off the field so he is forced to check down. But he might just keep looking forward scanning back and forth.
I think it's the pre-snap reads that Wentz has a problem with. The great QB's have 2 plans in their heads at the LOS, and therefor immediately check down. Basically, by the time the ball is in their hands they know where they are going with it.

This is not Wentz. He has to see the play develop before deciding where to go with the ball. He makes our O-Line look much worse at pass blocking then they actually are. Although they were admittedly terrible vs the Jags.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (01-24-2022), Puck (01-23-2022), Racehorse (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 07:35 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I think it's the pre-snap reads that Wentz has a problem with. The great QB's have 2 plans in their heads at the LOS, and therefor immediately check down. Basically, by the time the ball is in their hands they know where they are going with it.

This is not Wentz. He has to see the play develop before deciding where to go with the ball. He makes our O-Line look much worse at pass blocking then they actually are. Although they were admittedly terrible vs the Jags.
The colts could run the ball against the jags, the o line sucked that last game. Johnny U couldnt fix that game
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 07:42 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:

A reporter asked Reich if Wentz is doing pre snap reads out there and I believe Reich said no. He reads one man for RPO’s, but I’m not sure he knows what defender to read on regular plays. Like what route to choose based on the defenders reaction.

Rick Venturi called him the guy who was always the best athlete on the field so he never had to learn that stuff. He would run around like it’s playground ball and always made the plays he needed to. He always outperformed them. I played with guys like that. Didn’t put in the effort to maximize their athletiscm.

What concerns me is there doesn’t seem to be growth or learning over the years. He is who he is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
rm1369 (01-23-2022), YDFL Commish (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
A reporter asked Reich if Wentz is doing pre snap reads out there and I believe Reich said no. He reads one man for RPO’s, but I’m not sure he knows what defender to read on regular plays. Like what route to choose based on the defenders reaction.

Rick Venturi called him the guy who was always the best athlete on the field so he never had to learn that stuff. He would run around like it’s playground ball and always made the plays he needed to. He always outperformed them. I played with guys like that. Didn’t put in the effort to maximize their athletiscm.

What concerns me is there doesn’t seem to be growth or learning over the years. He is who he is.
Kinda my take as well. He's like the anti-Rivers. Or for that mat the anti-Peyton. Those guys were the best at prey snap reads.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I have seen all kinds of "experts" who claim they see the flaws in his mechanics online. Maybe we can hire one of them real cheap, as they are not employed by any NFL team yet.
There are plenty of experts but somehow a 300lb lineman coming at you can create a memory lapse.

The few times I seen Wentz he can throw in a pocket. Might be better on a rollout.
The Following User Says Thank You to kitekrazy For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Kinda my take as well. He's like the anti-Rivers. Or for that mat the anti-Peyton. Those guys were the best at prey snap reads.
I think we are getting closer to an era without franchise QBs.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:54 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
There are plenty of experts but somehow a 300lb lineman coming at you can create a memory lapse.

The few times I seen Wentz he can throw in a pocket. Might be better on a rollout.
Joe Burrow has ice water in his veins. I don’t think those sacks affected him at all. Just kept going at them.

Wentz can throw a pretty ball on the run. But he also seems to make his worst decisions on the run. Like really dumb decisions. I don’t think the guy is salvageable. Josh Allen goes to the same trainer that Pittman does in the off-season. If I saw some kinda effort out of Wentz that he was working to correct his mistakes in the off-season. I might be inclined to see him for another season. But he is probably out hunting. Dude doesn’t see anything wrong with his game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Brylok (01-25-2022), Dewey 5 (01-24-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 07:05 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
If I saw some kinda effort out of Wentz that he was working to correct his mistakes in the off-season. I might be inclined to see him for another season. But he is probably out hunting. Dude doesn’t see anything wrong with his game.
I went to one of the Eagles fan forums (don't remember which one) after the Jacksonville loss and someone had posted almost this exact same statement there. This is apparently a known trait of Wentz. He doesn't see anything he needs to correct.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
I went to one of the Eagles fan forums (don't remember which one) after the Jacksonville loss and someone had posted almost this exact same statement there. This is apparently a known trait of Wentz. He doesn't see anything he needs to correct.
So, in other words, he's not that much different than Jeff George.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-25-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
I went to one of the Eagles fan forums (don't remember which one) after the Jacksonville loss and someone had posted almost this exact same statement there.
Masochism.