ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-16-2021, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey 5 View Post
I tend to agree. I'm completely off the Wentz train. Still wouldn't mind making a run at Darnold.
Why? What has Darnold done in the NFL to think he even has a chance to be good?

Since the Colts probably cannot trade up to get Wilson on Fields. What would you have them do? Say fuck it. Let it roll and if it doesnt work we get a high draft pick?

Ask Polian how that worked with Irsay!!!

Wentz is now the best AVAILABLE option for the Colts. Unless there is some behind the scenes things that CB is working
Old 02-16-2021, 09:42 PM

Just a hunch, but Wentz seems more emotionally broken than Darnold.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coltsalr For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (02-17-2021), Ironshaft (02-17-2021), Maniac (02-17-2021), TheMugwump (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 09:59 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Why? What has Darnold done in the NFL to think he even has a chance to be good?

Since the Colts probably cannot trade up to get Wilson on Fields. What would you have them do? Say fuck it. Let it roll and if it doesnt work we get a high draft pick?

Ask Polian how that worked with Irsay!!!

Wentz is now the best AVAILABLE option for the Colts. Unless there is some behind the scenes things that CB is working
A player that has accuracy problems and is reported to uncoachable is the “best available”?

There are other options.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:05 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,644 Times in 953 Posts

The discussion on this thread shows how much the NFL is a "What have you done for me lately?" league, especially among the fans. If you'd asked at this time last year what it would take to get Wentz, the discussion would've been something like the discussion around Watson now. He was arguably a Top 10 QB over the last 3 seasons at that point, with a 2017 in which he only didn't win NFL MVP because he missed the last 3 games. Right now, because that same player had one bad stretch of games, followed by a few media hit pieces, he's available for Day 2 picks instead of Day 1 picks. I doubt he lost all his talent overnight. It's much more likely that the changes caused by COVID affected him more than most players, especially because it was harder to do detail work during COVID, and Wentz has required a lot of fine tuning on mechanics over the years. His mechanics are the biggest year over year change outside of his performance, so in theory, fix the mechanics (and pound "no hero ball" into his head from Day 1), fix the performance. Getting a Top 10-15 QB for a package headlined by the 54th overall pick would be a coup, yet to read this board, you'd think the Eagles would be committing grand larceny just getting that pick, let alone anything else. To me, if Ballard makes the trade, it will likely be a win, because it means Ballard and Reich believe the issues are primarily mechanical and they think Reich can fix it, and they've earned the benefit of the doubt on that until proven otherwise.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:35 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
Just a hunch, but Wentz seems more emotionally broken than Darnold.
Exactly. We luckily avoided that previously with Polian not taking Ryan Leaf. Let's not make that mistake now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
JAFF (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 08:16 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
The discussion on this thread shows how much the NFL is a "What have you done for me lately?" league, especially among the fans. If you'd asked at this time last year what it would take to get Wentz, the discussion would've been something like the discussion around Watson now. He was arguably a Top 10 QB over the last 3 seasons at that point, with a 2017 in which he only didn't win NFL MVP because he missed the last 3 games. Right now, because that same player had one bad stretch of games, followed by a few media hit pieces, he's available for Day 2 picks instead of Day 1 picks. I doubt he lost all his talent overnight. It's much more likely that the changes caused by COVID affected him more than most players, especially because it was harder to do detail work during COVID, and Wentz has required a lot of fine tuning on mechanics over the years. His mechanics are the biggest year over year change outside of his performance, so in theory, fix the mechanics (and pound "no hero ball" into his head from Day 1), fix the performance. Getting a Top 10-15 QB for a package headlined by the 54th overall pick would be a coup, yet to read this board, you'd think the Eagles would be committing grand larceny just getting that pick, let alone anything else. To me, if Ballard makes the trade, it will likely be a win, because it means Ballard and Reich believe the issues are primarily mechanical and they think Reich can fix it, and they've earned the benefit of the doubt on that until proven otherwise.
That all sounds good on a message board. Reports are that he doesnt take well to hard coaching. The NFL is not a spiritual retreat where you can “find yourself”. This is the kind of trade that will more than likely get a GM fired.

I dont care about the cap hit, its all funny money. I think a roster spot and coaching time is more valuable at this point. This team is based on hard work and accountability, how does Wentz fit into that system? The most important position on the team and there are issues with his attitude?

The eagles need a qb and they want to dump this guy. Its beyond fixing his mechanics. They spent all last year trying to do that
Old 02-17-2021, 09:13 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,644 Times in 953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
That all sounds good on a message board. Reports are that he doesnt take well to hard coaching. The NFL is not a spiritual retreat where you can “find yourself”. This is the kind of trade that will more than likely get a GM fired.

I dont care about the cap hit, its all funny money. I think a roster spot and coaching time is more valuable at this point. This team is based on hard work and accountability, how does Wentz fit into that system? The most important position on the team and there are issues with his attitude?

The eagles need a qb and they want to dump this guy. Its beyond fixing his mechanics. They spent all last year trying to do that
You've made your point. You and I obviously disagree. No need to belabor it. I will say I trust Ballard and Reich and their evaluation skills a lot more than yours, and I don't understand why the Philadelphia local media is trying to tank any potential return by writing all these hit pieces on Wentz.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:10 AM
Post whore

Quote:
You've made your point. You and I obviously disagree. No need to belabor it. I will say I trust Ballard and Reich and their evaluation skills a lot more than yours, and I don't understand why the Philadelphia local media is trying to tank any potential return by writing all these hit pieces on Wentz.
I trust Ballard, he has a record. I dont trust your thinking, because its not grounded in reality. If all Wentz needs is coaching, why are they trying to get rid of him? They just brought back his former coach, so why are the desperate to cut him loose?
Old 02-17-2021, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
A player that has accuracy problems and is reported to uncoachable is the “best available”?

There are other options.
Uncoachable????

Do you stop and think that maybe he wasn't being coached correctly after Reich left? Because all the things you are mentioning I am 100% sure Frank knows more about than any of us.

Ballard openly makes fun of the message boards and twitter because of all the stupid remarks that are made by people who think they know something or know more than the coaches.

If Ballard and Reich feel strongly about Wentz, that is all that really matters. All other reports are nonsense.

Trust the people that will ultimately make this decision.
smitty46953 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 11:05 AM

Thanked 1,331 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Of course the NFL is a what have you done for me lately league and saying that Wentz is comparable to Watson is ricockulous. Also, saying he just had a bad stretch of games is a huge understatement as he was god awful for the entire 2020 season until he was benched in Dec. You add his dropping off a cliff performance with a lot of reports coming out showing that he's a possible head case, and bringing him in clearly has potential for disaster.

Something else that shouldn't be overlooked is that the Eagles have really struggled with Wentz at QB since his injury. In 2018 they had a losing record with him and were much better with Foles starting (you can also argue that they were just as good with Foles in 2017). While in 2019 they did win 9 games and made the playoffs, they in all likelihood would have had a losing record if they were in any division other than the NFC Least. And obviously they were one of the worst teams in the league in 2020.

Tags
carson wentz