ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 06:39 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
Me neither. It's been stated that we'll be at 100,000 new infections per day (and rising) in a few weeks. I understand people trying to be optimistic, we all want to watch the Colts, but there's a line between that and just being obtuse. I doubt the vast majority of players are willing to risk their health/life over a game. It sucks but it's better than being dead or permanently damaged.
Well some players can afford to not play the season and wait till next year. Way too many live paycheck to paycheck though. Rookies are kinda screwed too. No playing time, and no incoming salary. Feel bad for the next group of college players too. If there is no college season, how do you have a draft? No late risers, like a Joe Burrow or Kyler Murry to show what they have.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
apballin (07-10-2020), Brylok (07-11-2020), Racehorse (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 08:47 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,124 Times in 638 Posts

There is too much money on the line, and I’m sure these guys have to feel secure knowing that the NFL will make sure they are safe as possible with healthcare regular people can only dream of. Not to mention the importance of staying in shape there’s only so much running and weight lifting you can do there’s nothing like football shape and that’s been proven
Old 07-11-2020, 12:28 AM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Well some players can afford to not play the season and wait till next year. Way too many live paycheck to paycheck though. Rookies are kinda screwed too. No playing time, and no incoming salary. Feel bad for the next group of college players too. If there is no college season, how do you have a draft? No late risers, like a Joe Burrow or Kyler Murry to show what they have.
I 💯 agree with all of that. It absolutely sucks, and the kids are the ones who are going to be the most screwed. Jim Irsay sent a notice out to season ticket holders today explaining how seating, vending, accommodations etc, will be handled for the coming season. The thing is, it's going to be so exponentially worse than it is now, I don't know if Jim even comprehends it. I love the guy, but I still don't see any way of it happening unless the owners just say "fuck it...hope nobody dies" and the players go along with that. Not to mention that some parts of the country have done significantly better than others in trying to handle the virus. I live in the south. We've done a terrible job, and half the people where I live (mostly intelligent Huntsville, AL) still don't take any precautions. How would a team from a place that has done well feel safe coming down here to play? And I'm in Huntsville! God help you if you have to play anywhere in Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc. If I were a vested veteran who had already made my NFL money, I'd rather sit out or retire rather than risk my and my family's life. So, yeah, the kids will suffer the most. So will the kids (and teachers) who will be forced back into the schools when the time comes to go back next month. Sorry for the wall of text, but yeah, it's an awful mess...and it's gonna get worse.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:00 AM

Thanked 1,260 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
what happens if a team loses a large number of players for a period of time? NBA is doing the bubble for near complete isolation during the short time they will finish the season. I dont think you could isolate 32 NFL teams like that for an entire NFL season. so what happens when a team gets hit and 10-15 players are unavailable for a couple weeks? how do they replace those players?
All of the other sports starting up will probably be a litmus test. If things go more or less ok for NBA/NHL/MLB/MLS then the NFL will probably give it a go. If the other sports end in disaster then we're probably looking at a postponed and possibly cancelled season.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 03:58 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Football can be played in any season, any weather, so the NFL can start whenever. Same with basketball and hockey. Now how much competition do they want between each other is their problem.

Baseball is screwed. They need gate revenue, TV money doesnt cover the cost of business. Baseball is looking at being pushed to regional status with hockey as the NBA and NFL steamroll over them
Old 07-27-2020, 10:57 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
All of the other sports starting up will probably be a litmus test. If things go more or less ok for NBA/NHL/MLB/MLS then the NFL will probably give it a go. If the other sports end in disaster then we're probably looking at a postponed and possibly cancelled season.
MLB already having to cancel games because of outbreaks. If they can't do it with players spaced out on the field and smaller rosters, then the NFL has no chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (07-30-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 03:50 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
MLB already having to cancel games because of outbreaks. If they can't do it with players spaced out on the field and smaller rosters, then the NFL has no chance.

The Minnesota Vikings Infection Control Officer has tested positive for COVID-19 and is now in quarantine:

https://www.nfl.com/news/vikings-inf...e-for-covid-19
Old 07-27-2020, 04:33 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Yep, the Marlins got 11 players with it. That pretty much takes them out of the league short of having an entire farm system in place to replace those players with - which is theoretically possible with baseball, though the quality of play is likely to go down.

But with football? forget it. I don't care how much money is on the line, the NFL has literally no meaningful safeguards in place for the players. It's not a question of *if* there will be an outbreak that decimates a team, but when.

The NFL might try to start a season, but it'll get called probably 1/4 of the way into it.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:47 PM

Thanked 1,260 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, not looking good for MLB It seemed like for the most part all teams came out of Summer Camp in pretty good shape, but guess that's easier to control over the actual games themselves. We'll see how it goes from here, but I'm not too optimistic.

Last edited by IndyNorm; 07-27-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:35 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,124 Times in 638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
Yep, the Marlins got 11 players with it. That pretty much takes them out of the league short of having an entire farm system in place to replace those players with - which is theoretically possible with baseball, though the quality of play is likely to go down.

But with football? forget it. I don't care how much money is on the line, the NFL has literally no meaningful safeguards in place for the players. It's not a question of *if* there will be an outbreak that decimates a team, but when.

The NFL might try to start a season, but it'll get called probably 1/4 of the way into it.
The season is happening, baseball is still going calm down