ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 07-27-2019, 08:34 AM

Default Live podcast from Colts training camp: Day 1

It's here!
Audio podcast of my very first trip to Colts training camp!
Full disclosure, had the mic too close to my mouth, (learning experience for the next time). But if you can get past that, this is full of every great (and bad) thing that happened on that first day!
Enjoy!...And please share!

https://anchor.fm/lawrence-owen/epis...---LIVE-e4ojfc
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lawrence Owen For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (07-27-2019), Chromeburn (07-27-2019), Hoopsdoc (07-27-2019), Racehorse (07-27-2019), smitty46953 (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 01:57 PM

Also, If you listen, and think that if I can adjust the recorder so it's not as close to my mouth for better audio, let me know if you think this kind of podcast is good or not.
Was really trying to just give listener's a feel for being there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lawrence Owen For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Owen View Post
Also, If you listen, and think that if I can adjust the recorder so it's not as close to my mouth for better audio, let me know if you think this kind of podcast is good or not.
Was really trying to just give listener's a feel for being there.
What kind of recorder do you use?
Old 07-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
It's here!
Audio podcast of my very first trip to Colts training camp!
Full disclosure, had the mic too close to my mouth, (learning experience for the next time). But if you can get past that, this is full of every great (and bad) thing that happened on that first day!
Enjoy!...And please share!

https://anchor.fm/lawrence-owen/epis...---LIVE-e4ojfc
Nice job enjoyed it …
Lawrence Owen (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 03:40 PM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts

Thought it was terrific. I love going to these practices and picking things apart which you do. Good stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
What kind of recorder do you use?
An Olympus digital voice recorder. Got it at Walmart,...like $40.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Post whore

That's your field mic? So you want a kind of wind screen to protect from wind noise and a dampener to bring those hard S's down. That recorder you have might be good for a sit down interview if evenly spaced between you.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Digi...ateway&sr=8-19

I would recomend anything in the Zoom line. The H1n is an affordable solution for a step up. For a little bit more you can get a dead cat (wind screen) and a shock mount that will allow you to hold it while not actually touching the mic. Your voice quality will increase immensely. It has a meter on the front and you want your peaks between -15 and -5 if you are hitting 0db you are too strong and it distorts. Try to maintain the same distance between you and the mic.

Moving up from there the H5n and H6n allow you to change the mic heads and you can get different types of effects.

For a home mic the Yeti Blue is really good, add a spit screen for a couple bucks to bring your S's down and your quality will go up a lot. You can usually find decent deals on Amazon and occassionally on sale.

That was a little hard to listen to. Generally I find people are forgiving of bad video, but they are not as forgiving for bad audio. Your content is good, just need to bring up those technical aspects a little. Also for home some egg carton or sound insulation on some card board and put on the wall or around the mic will eliminate the echo.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 07-28-2019 at 12:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
That's your field mic? So you want a kind of wind screen to protect from wind noise and a dampener to bring those hard S's down. That recorder you have might be good for a sit down interview if evenly spaced between you.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Digi...ateway&sr=8-19

I would recomend anything in the Zoom line. The H1n is an affordable solution for a step up. For a little bit more you can get a dead cat (wind screen) and a shock mount that will allow you to hold it while not actually touching the mic. Your voice quality will increase immensely. It has a meter on the front and you want your peaks between -15 and -5 if you are hitting 0db you are too strong and it distorts. Try to maintain the same distance between you and the mic.

Moving up from there the H5n and H6n allow you to change the mic heads and you can get different types of effects.

For a home mic the Yeti Blue is really good, add a spit screen for a couple bucks to bring your S's down and your quality will go up a lot. You can usually find decent deals on Amazon and occassionally on sale.

That was a little hard to listen to. Generally I find people are forgiving of bad video, but they are not as forgiving for bad audio. Your content is good, just need to bring up those technical aspects a little. Also for home some egg carton or sound insulation on some card board and put on the wall or around the mic will eliminate the echo.
Honestly, I was told that I was supposed to keep that recorder close to my mouth...I literally had it at my chin, which I did not realize at the time was way to close. And it kept picking up my breath. I found afterwards if I keep it approximately 6 inches to a foot from my mouth, it does a lot better. But I'll look into your product.

At home, I use a Blue Snowball. And I don't have a specific room I record in yet due to that room currently needs cleaned out. I take my computer from one room to another due to where people are in my house when I record. My bedroom is best I've noticed. But If my wife is sleeping...can't really interview there.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:51 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Honestly, I was told that I was supposed to keep that recorder close to my mouth...I literally had it at my chin, which I did not realize at the time was way to close. And it kept picking up my breath. I found afterwards if I keep it approximately 6 inches to a foot from my mouth, it does a lot better. But I'll look into your product.

At home, I use a Blue Snowball. And I don't have a specific room I record in yet due to that room currently needs cleaned out. I take my computer from one room to another due to where people are in my house when I record. My bedroom is best I've noticed. But If my wife is sleeping...can't really interview there.
Yeah whoever told you that I wouldn't listen. Usually if your soundquality goes up your listeners will go up. Get a sponsor and it should pay the purchase.

The nice thing about mounting it to cardboard is you can move it around. You can also buy like a makeshift tent for your mic, but I also think they are overpriced.

https://www.amazon.com/AxcessAbles-S...-1-spons&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/TroyStudio-Po...s%2C165&sr=8-8

I just listeded to the end, that burn sounds painful. When I'm out shooting in the sun a lot I grab a big hat: gardners hat, cowboy hat, anything with a big brim.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 07-28-2019 at 01:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:

Tags
colts, nfl