ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-13-2022, 08:21 PM

Thanked 4,410 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Bet he is. Bet him and Frank got together and he showed Frank here Fisher missed this block and how Hines didn't chip right and how Doyle should have blocked down but went into the flat etc...

And then Frank went to Irsay directly and told him to release everyone but Carson.
Sorry, but you are a moron.
Chromeburn (01-14-2022), Hoopsdoc (01-13-2022), omahacolt (01-15-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Well this seems to fly in the face of the "we're lucky to have him" comment re: Frank.

The Colts played with the lead for more minutes than some of the top Super Bowl contenders — but missed the playoffs.

They played with the lead for 562 minutes this season, more than the Packers (521) or Titans (490), the top seeds in their respective conferences. The Colts managed to lose games where they had leads of 19 (Ravens), 14 (Titans) and 10 (Buccaneers).
And some morons (you) are saying that Ballard needs to go.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:49 PM

Thanked 1,662 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I guess I must have listened to a different presser than most of the freaks.
I just finished listening and sure enough... tone and inflection make a difference. I actually thought he sounded even more disappointed and resigned than it read. Resigned to the fact that they took a shot with Wentz and it didn't work. And even further; the way he talked about Wentz's problems made them sound like uncoachable mental issues. Reading the transcript made it seem like he was saying the opposite.

Also, he likes our D scheme and made a compelling case for it going from Indy back to Chicago. Big issue is pass rush (no surprise) and corner.

Also likes our WRs. And after watching Warner's film study, for that game at least, they did seem like they were getting open more than I expected. Brought up how Luck and Rivers did so well with Reich's system by, among other things, getting the ball out quickly. Another specific indictment of Wentz.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-14-2022), Racehorse (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 09:11 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

I watched it,

Dudes a stand up straight up guy and I respect it

Says he’s not changing the type of players he goes after and he does go after free agents but he’s not gonna over pay it all depends on the player

I know JMV has been talking about moving Nelson to LT for awhile now and that was funny he was definitely taking a shot at JMV with the comment about why would you move a hall of fame guard I was laughing my ass off

I get the feeling if they can get a better QB somehow then Wentz is done I’m not sure about contracts and trades and all that
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-14-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 09:35 PM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
I guess I must have listened to a different presser than most of the freaks. I thought Ballard was pissed beyond belief. He was entirely appropriate both emotionally and factually. The fact that he is getting ripped for how this team is built and still won't back down will piss some off, I love it. He has a developed philosophy that he believes in. It provides continuity for a team over the long haul. Won't make decisions until he has calmed down. Another excellent trait. I'm looking forward to the off season. It will be interesting and controversial no matter what we do. I still like the guy as the GM, a lot.
Well said. I happen to agree on Ballard. I think he’s up there in Polian territory, personally.

He’s just stuck in quarterback purgatory like Frank Reich and the rest of us.

I firmly believe that this team would have been a 1 or 2 seed with Rivers at quarterback. No doubt in my mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (01-14-2022), Racehorse (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I guess I must have listened to a different presser than most of the freaks. I thought Ballard was pissed beyond belief. He was entirely appropriate both emotionally and factually. The fact that he is getting ripped for how this team is built and still won't back down will piss some off, I love it. He has a developed philosophy that he believes in. It provides continuity for a team over the long haul. Won't make decisions until he has calmed down. Another excellent trait. I'm looking forward to the off season. It will be interesting and controversial no matter what we do. I still like the guy as the GM, a lot.
Overall I like Ballard and I respect that he has a plan - I just don’t agree with it. Never have. His plan belongs in a different era. He can’t fix all the holes on this team through the draft. He shouldn’t make decisions based on emotion. But he should make them based on reality. The reality is he has been building his way for 5 years and he has a 9-8 football team. That is with him actually being a pretty damn good talent evaluator. It simply doesn’t work. You can’t play for the future every year and win in the present.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (01-13-2022), CletusPyle (01-13-2022), IndyNorm (01-13-2022), njcoltfan (01-14-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Well this seems to fly in the face of the "we're lucky to have him" comment re: Frank.

The Colts played with the lead for more minutes than some of the top Super Bowl contenders — but missed the playoffs.

They played with the lead for 562 minutes this season, more than the Packers (521) or Titans (490), the top seeds in their respective conferences. The Colts managed to lose games where they had leads of 19 (Ravens), 14 (Titans) and 10 (Buccaneers).
Lack of pass rush and a D that lives only on turnovers will do that to you.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Lack of pass rush and a D that lives only on turnovers will do that to you.
So will having a quarterback who cannot play in the face of adversity.
apballin (01-14-2022), Brylok (01-14-2022), CletusPyle (01-14-2022), Lov2fish (01-14-2022), Oldcolt (01-14-2022), omahacolt (01-15-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 11:26 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I believe in his plan. We tried it the 'modern' way with great QBs and not putting resources into the lines. We had a good run but got one championship in 20 or so years with Manning/Luck. I agree with everyone that QB and pass rush are what is really holding us back (I don't like our wr group much but think they are third on this list and the easiest to fix). Being in QB hell is a bitch. We need to find a way out and none of us has any idea whatsoever as to what to do. There are no sure things at QB available. We need to get lucky.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I believe in his plan. We tried it the 'modern' way with great QBs and not putting resources into the lines. We had a good run but got one championship in 20 or so years with Manning/Luck. I agree with everyone that QB and pass rush are what is really holding us back (I don't like our wr group much but think they are third on this list and the easiest to fix). Being in QB hell is a bitch. We need to find a way out and none of us has any idea whatsoever as to what to do. There are no sure things at QB available. We need to get lucky.
I believe in his idea of investment in the lines - that’s not the issue. The issue is his constant focus on the future. The modern NFL, in my opinion, is about maximizing 2-3 years windows. Not being pretty good for 10-12. I find your complaint about the past ironic because that’s exactly what I compare Ballard’s methods too - Bill Polian. And I’ll add Ted Thompson. Teams that have had the most important part (QB) in place and under achieved.

The methods are slightly different but the goals are the same - long term consistency. Long term very goodness. When you are overly concerned about 4 years from now you don’t maximize this year. But you are competing with teams who do. You go in to every season then at a disadvantage for the ultimate goal. Irsay is not going to get his goal of multiple championships in the next decade without taking risks. He didn’t get it with Peyton freaking Manning. He’s sure as hell not going to get it playing it safe every year with Carson Wentz, Jascoby Brisett, or Philip Rivers’ cadaver. Ballard is going to give really good talented teams that always fall short.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-14-2022), omahacolt (01-15-2022)