ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

View Poll Results: With the third pick...
Barkley 7 14.29%
Chubb 17 34.69%
Nelson 3 6.12%
Trade back 21 42.86%
Other 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2018, 11:42 AM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
QB Needy Teams in the Top 15 Picks of 2018:

#1 CLE
#2 NYG
#5 DEN
#6 NYJ
#11 MIA ?
#12 CIN
#13 WAS ?
#15 ARI

The thought that the #3 pick has little trade value but that the #2 pick had a lot is, I think, false.

Even if QBs go #1 and #2, there is little clear consensus that there are only 2 QBs who are worthy of being a top 5 pick. Sure, DEN or NYJ could just sit tight and hope that their guy falls to them but they also might want to come up and ensure that they get their guy.

Best non-QB pick in the draft? #3. You sure someone else is not going to want to come up for the right to pick Barkley? Or Chubb? Or Fitzpatrick? Or Nelson? Or Williams? Or whomever they are in love with? Heck, if CLE is indeed enamored with Barkley, they might trade up 1 spot to make sure that no one else gets him. Then that #4 pick is more in range for DEN and NYJ for QB.

We don't know how it is going to work out until April, but I think there will be a ton of trade offers for the #3 pick conditioned on how the first 2 picks go. Those all get worked out ahead of time and then triggered on draft day.

If Ballard picks a guy at #3, then he is convinced that the kid is a stud. Cool.

However, if Ballard wants to trade down, I have little doubt that he will find trade partners.

Walk Worthy,
With Marvin Lewis back, Cincy isn’t drafting a qb in the first, IMO.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:44 AM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
I would be surprised if Gore is back next year.

Going into a season with a #1 RB 34 years old is just asking for problems.

Plus with a new GM making a decision on his contract and likely wanting a new direction for the team, I don't see it happening.

Gore has been perfectly fine as the #1 back. But I would like to see more than someone who can churn out 3-4 yards per carry and chug away for the usual 50-70 yards a game. I know he had a few 100 yard games, but those were outliers.

Of course upgrading the OL would help that, but changing to a younger, faster RB group would as well.
also factor that gore probably wants to go to a team that will get him a championship. next year is probably his last. he came to the colts because he thought he was a piece to put us over the edge, but the team fell apart right after he got here.

I really hate to say it, but I wonder if he might travel east for one last chance next year...
Old 01-03-2018, 12:20 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

I wouldn't mind trading down to 5 if Denver is willing to mortgage their future for it. Other than that, though, stay put and draft the biggest defensive difference maker.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:54 PM

If we draft a RB with our first pick then fk this team and fk Ballard.

We need trenches and then LB.

Are we still running a 3-4 or switching to a 4-3. (fu pags)
Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

These draft simulators are so bad this time of year (Guice in the 2nd, Bryant in the freaking 7th LOL) but had some time to kill, so with Fanspeak's draft simulator...

R1P3: EDGE Bradley Chubb
R2P3: RB Derrius Guice (LOL no way he's here)
R3P3: OG/OT Isaiah Wynn
R4P3: OT Jamarco Jones
R5P3: ILB Josey Jewell
R6P3: ILB/OLB Josh Allen
R7P3: EDGE Austin Bryant (again he's 2nd round at worst...)
Old 01-03-2018, 03:41 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
QB Needy Teams in the Top 15 Picks of 2018:

#1 CLE
#2 NYG
#5 DEN
#6 NYJ
#11 MIA ?
#12 CIN
#13 WAS ?
#15 ARI

The thought that the #3 pick has little trade value but that the #2 pick had a lot is, I think, false.

Also, two of those teams (NYJ and CIN) passed on QBs at their spots last year. Why would they suddenly pay a king's ransom to move up to get the 3rd best QB in this draft?

Even if QBs go #1 and #2, there is little clear consensus that there are only 2 QBs who are worthy of being a top 5 pick. Sure, DEN or NYJ could just sit tight and hope that their guy falls to them but they also might want to come up and ensure that they get their guy.

Best non-QB pick in the draft? #3. You sure someone else is not going to want to come up for the right to pick Barkley? Or Chubb? Or Fitzpatrick? Or Nelson? Or Williams? Or whomever they are in love with? Heck, if CLE is indeed enamored with Barkley, they might trade up 1 spot to make sure that no one else gets him. Then that #4 pick is more in range for DEN and NYJ for QB.

We don't know how it is going to work out until April, but I think there will be a ton of trade offers for the #3 pick conditioned on how the first 2 picks go. Those all get worked out ahead of time and then triggered on draft day.

If Ballard picks a guy at #3, then he is convinced that the kid is a stud. Cool.

However, if Ballard wants to trade down, I have little doubt that he will find trade partners.

Walk Worthy,
We'll see how the pre-draft buzz-machine works, but the QBs after Rosen/Darnold have mid- to late-1st grades from the scouting accounts I've read. If that's really how teams feel, why would they trade 2 1sts and a 2nd to move up to #3 to get one?

Not to mention that two of those teams (NYJ and CIN) passed on QBs last year. Now they're suddenly going to pay a ransom to get the 3rd best QB in this draft?

Last edited by VeveJones007; 01-03-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
We'll see how the pre-draft buzz-machine works, but the QBs after Rosen/Darnold have mid- to late-1st grades from the scouting accounts I've read. If that's really how teams feel, why would they trade 2 1sts and a 2nd to move up to #3 to get one?

Not to mention that two of those teams (NYJ and CIN) passed on QBs last year. Now they're suddenly going to pay a ransom to get the 3rd best QB in this draft?
Would a team have given that package up to take the 3rd best of Marino/Elway/Kelly? Just because he'd be the 3rd best in his class doesn't mean he wouldn't be worth it or a hall of famer.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:56 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Would a team have given that package up to take the 3rd best of Marino/Elway/Kelly? Just because he'd be the 3rd best in his class doesn't mean he wouldn't be worth it or a hall of famer.
That's also my point. This class of QBs isn't 1983. Nobody thinks so.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:03 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
That's also my point. This class of QBs isn't 1983. Nobody thinks so.
Baker Mayfield will likely rise up boards. I'd rather stay put, but if Denver or NYJ come calling with a king's ransom for the pick, trading down is an option IMO.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:32 PM

If you were GM and the Browns offered #1 and #4 for Luck, would you hang up on them?