ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-15-2023, 10:36 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,663 Times in 2,048 Posts
Default AR QB school analysis of first game

This is a must watch if you have the time. Lots of praise for the scheme, I really like the play designs. If you were critical of Reich, you should be excited by this. More praise for some of the line play, that spin block by Smith, whhaaaat! But in general you can see a lot of promise in there. You can tell there might be some confusion still and guys still learning as well.

https://youtu.be/WvuzlU_CX-w?si=KvWJC7WkoQuEmOVA
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (09-15-2023), Colts And Orioles (09-15-2023), Indystu2 (09-15-2023), omahacolt (09-17-2023), Racehorse (09-15-2023), Spike (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 09:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Indystu2

I liked the break down. I saw some open guys on quick reads that I hope they hit the next time. The play calls were good and they reads just didn't happen. Couple throws late. I liked that he called out #11 for subpar effort. Agree. I think we left 14 pts on the field and if this guy saw it, our coaches saw it too. Good stuff to grow by.

Stu
Old 09-15-2023, 09:39 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

They need to coach him to go to the hot more often on blitzes, but apart from that, a couple errant throws, and the INT he forced into far too tight coverage (hit the checkdown there), he played like a quality starting NFL QB. In game 1. After having only started 13 games in college. The sky may truly be the limit with AR.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:16 AM

Thanked 4,396 Times in 2,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
They need to coach him to go to the hot more often on blitzes, but apart from that, a couple errant throws, and the INT he forced into far too tight coverage (hit the checkdown there), he played like a quality starting NFL QB. In game 1. After having only started 13 games in college. The sky may truly be the limit with AR.
Definitely higher limit that Mac Jones.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:16 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

this should be mandatory viewing

make the time to watch this.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:44 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Definitely higher limit that Mac Jones.
Of course, they're two entirely different QB profiles. Mac Jones had a much higher floor, Anthony Richardson had a much higher ceiling. To elaborate, Mac Jones is a far more athletically limited QB than Anthony Richardson, but he came into the league far more advanced as a QB than Richardson is, or even than Trevor Lawrence currently is, and it allows him to do things like throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs against the defending NFC Champions. The encouraging thing from this video about Richardson is that he's already doing the QB things far better than could've been expected based on his college film and even better than Trevor Lawrence is doing them in his third year in the league for the most part. Everyone already knew he had more athleticism than any QB ever, if he can master the QB part of playing the QB position as quickly as he appears to be, the sky is the limit.
Old 09-16-2023, 02:30 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Steichen seems to have a pretty obvious plan on how to develop AR. The fact that one of the biggest hits on AR coming into the draft was how shitty his short passing game was, how inaccurate it was and that is all he works on his first game with no passes over 20 yards obviously isn't a coincidence. It is nice to feel like this is actually a plan and not only that but a plan that seems to make sense if what you are looking at is helping this young man have a long career. Everything in AR's development seems rosy, that really is the only thing that worries me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-16-2023)