ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-02-2023, 07:25 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Colts OTA observations: Anthony Richardson has up-and-down day, Julian Blackmon thriv

Colts OTA observations: Anthony Richardson has up-and-down day, Julian Blackmon thrives

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...n/70265188007/

Quote:

INDIANAPOLIS — The Colts wrapped up another day of organized training activities practices that were open to the media.

Here's what caught my eye:

Anthony Richardson is easing in

Throughout OTAs, the Colts have been rotating first-team reps at quarterback between Anthony Richardson and Gardner Minshew. Coach Shane Steichen said that's been happening throughout the practices, most of which are not open to the media. But on Friday, it was Minshew primarily working with the first team and Richardson with the second.

It's not a big deal from a chemistry standpoint, as the Colts were without most of the pass catchers Richardson will play with once he becomes the full-time starter, such as Michael Pittman Jr., Josh Downs, Jelani Woods and Jonathan Taylor.

Instead, this setup allows Richardson to build a little something with players on the second unit, which will matter once the team becomes fully his, too.

The Indianapolis Colts are easing No. 4 overall pick Anthony Richardson into the offense by having him split first-team reps during organized training activities.
He had an up-and-down day in the 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 formats, which the Colts designed more to work like a hurry-up setting. He had just two incompletions, but both came in the end zone, and he was held without a score. One of the misses was the equivalent of a throw-away, whereas the other showed good touch to the left corner as he left it high and out of danger, but he threw it just a tick late to allow three zone defenders to drop back and break it up.

His completions were mostly on short throws outside, with a focus on getting plays out of bounds to stop the imaginary clock. He did show off some arm on these throws, creating a quick exchange from Point A to Point B. Overall, it was a risk-free day that lacked upside, but that's all part of the basics he's trying to build right now.

One thing that stands out about Richardson is his energy. He claps his hands when he misses a throw, or even when it's just not placed perfectly. He's also constantly giving out two-handed high fives, sometimes while airborne above teammates on the receiving

The only offensive player who showed more outward energy was Minshew, who was often celebrating the steps Richardson was taking.

"I don't know what I expect out of a high first-round pick, but I guess you could think he might be a little cocky," Braden Smith said of Richardson. "This guy is the complete opposite of that. He's kind of a blue-collar guy. He keeps his head down and he works.”

More:Colts take flyer on a veteran pass rusher

Julian Blackmon has a new position

One of the most fascinating players to watch has been Julian Blackmon. He's entering a contract year. He's finally healthy, compared to last year at this time, when he was working back from an ACL tear. And his position has been up in the air since last year ended, to the point where defensive coordinator Gus Bradley wasn't sure about it when I asked a couple of weeks ago.

We might have our answer now.

After spending his first three seasons at free safety, Julian Blackmon is making the transition now to strong safety.
Blackmon lined up at strong safety for the entirety of the practice. He helped run the first team alongside Rodney Thomas II, whom he split snaps with at the free spot last season.

It's early, but Blackmon has an edge over second-year third-round pick Nick Cross at safety largely because of how vocal he is. That was a key piece that allowed McLeod to turn in a career year there last year, even though it was a new position to him then, too.

"It's more productive, honestly," Blackmon said. "... At free safety, it's more instinctual. At strong, you're much more vocal. I just have to pay attention to my keys and understand what I'm supposed to be looking at pre-snap. ... It's a chance for me to show what I really can do."

Blackmon is fired up about most things he does in life, and today was no exception. He was by far the loudest player on the field, talking trash to opposing receivers and celebrating with each defensive teammate who made a play. On one snap during 7-on-7, he broke up a pass on an out route to Vyncent Smith and ran around screaming, "F*** no!" over and over again.

"It's fun to trash talk," Blackmon said. "That's my main thing. It brings a little bit of energy and a little bit of juice. I also hope that the offense is like, 'OK, he's going to talk. I'm going to go bombs on this dude.' That's the goal. I'm trying to get them to also amp it up."

Ashton Dulin is impressing

The lone offensive highlight on a day dominated by the defense came when Minshew hit Ashton Dulin on a deep ball.

After signing back here on a two-year deal, Dulin is a lock for the roster because of his All-Pro abilities as a special teams gunner, but don't be surprised if he becomes a sneaky third outside receiver behind Pittman Jr. and Alec Pierce.

Ashton Dulin returned to the Indianapolis Colts on a one-year deal this offseason.
The Colts want to use play-action and deep shots to maximize Richardson's dual-threat skill-set and to take advantage of how his scouting report can manipulate defensive personnel by pulling one into the box and moving the other to the middle of the field. Dulin's ability to shake press coverage and get vertical up the sideline will make him an option to look at in these scenarios.

Last week, the Colts ran a screen to him, which could be an option for when defenses flip that personnel and guard for the deep ball with two high safeties or off-man coverage.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
apballin (06-02-2023), BCN#1 (07-24-2023), Chromeburn (06-05-2023), CletusPyle (06-03-2023), Dewey 5 (06-03-2023), smitty46953 (06-03-2023), Spike (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 08:25 AM

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,556 Posts

Bringing in Minshew definitely appears to be a great move! He is practically a player/coach and obviously has a great relationship with Richardson!
BCN#1 (07-24-2023), Dewey 5 (06-03-2023), Oldcolt (06-03-2023), Racehorse (06-03-2023), Spike (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 10:05 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Just like every year we are flying high with OTA's. Ryan was a genius pick up at this point. Not that I think this will end up that way, I am pumped to see AR in action. These are all positive signs, which is great at this point. I do love how he interacts with the team (versus Wentz), the guy sees to have a great personality which is huge. I am looking forward to watching him develop. Now if the line doesn't shit the bed we may actually surprise some folks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (06-03-2023), JAFF (06-03-2023), Racehorse (06-03-2023), Spike (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 12:22 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Just like every year we are flying high with OTA's. Ryan was a genius pick up at this point. Not that I think this will end up that way, I am pumped to see AR in action. These are all positive signs, which is great at this point. I do love how he interacts with the team (versus Wentz), the guy sees to have a great personality which is huge. I am looking forward to watching him develop. Now if the line doesn't shit the bed we may actually surprise some folks.
Difference this year though is the expectations… with Rivers, Wentz, and Ryan it was like “chips all in” “gotta win the division”

We’re walking into this season with zero expectations and opponents have no idea what our offense is gonna look like. That gives a competitive advantage to these guys they can play loose all year. Opposing defenses aren’t walking into the sitting duck in the pocket predicable Reich offense which got progressively worse with each QB change. Last year was a flat disaster I guarantee all defensive players loved playing vs the Colts so they could boost their salary with some inflated stats. Not this year……. Our offense will do the dictating…. Everything will look the same and you have to make a decision based on Richardson/Taylor threat. The field is split in half right at the handoff or fake …. Putting the defender in space to make a forced decision— honor the pass or go get the QB. Richardson will have 1-2 reads on these and takeoff if they’re giving the run which should help him get acclimated to the speed of the game.

Even with zero NFL experience running that 4.4 put fear in all the defenders in the NFL. Teams aren’t gonna be excited to lineup against this guy I guarantee it
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (06-04-2023), Chromeburn (06-05-2023), CletusPyle (06-03-2023), Ironshaft (06-05-2023), Oldcolt (06-04-2023), Spike (06-03-2023), YDFL Commish (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 03:52 PM

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,174 Posts

Exactly,my expectations are low. We will probably lose often and sometimes badly,but it should be exciting with Minshew and AR.
The Following User Says Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (06-05-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 04:19 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,642 Times in 951 Posts

I would expect something like the 2018 Bills or 2011 Panthers, with a high end possibility of the 2012 Colts. If we get 2012 Colts, the future would look very bright.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (07-22-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 07:13 PM

Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,217 Posts

I'm kinda surprised that nobody is mentioning the Josh Downs knee injury. I'm hopeful its nothing...but this guy might be pivotal for us.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 08:35 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I'm kinda surprised that nobody is mentioning the Josh Downs knee injury. I'm hopeful its nothing...but this guy might be pivotal for us.
Maybe we are just numb to all the injuries this team an accumulate in the offseason, let alone the preseason
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (06-05-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 12:05 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I would expect something like the 2018 Bills or 2011 Panthers, with a high end possibility of the 2012 Colts. If we get 2012 Colts, the future would look very bright.
2018 Bills = in a division with Tom Brady and Zay jones was Allen’s #1 WR

2011 panthers = in a division with Drew Brees, even though Cam had 700 yards rushing and 14tds still in a division with Brees and as much as I hate to say it now Matt Ryan

The AFC south has nothing even remotely close to this… the best QB in division at the moment is Lawrence and the rest are rookies as far as I’m concerned

The colts are right in the mix to win the division this season
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (06-04-2023), Ironshaft (06-05-2023), njcoltfan (06-05-2023), Oldcolt (06-04-2023), Racehorse (06-04-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 10:41 AM

Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post

Downs has now indicated that he should be ready to go for training camp.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2023/...ng-camp-ready/

Quote:
Indianapolis Colts rookie WR Josh Downs is expected to be ready to practice when training camp commences July 26 after missing OTAs and minicamp due to a knee injury.

Downs, a third-round pick, was one of the standouts during rookie minicamp. His connection with fellow rookie QB Anthony Richardson was palpable as the duo connected several times on passes over the middle.

In a recent Q&A with James Boyd of The Athletic, Downs was asked if he will be 100% ready for training camp. The rookie confirmed he will be ready to go for the start of camp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Butter (07-22-2023), Racehorse (07-22-2023), YDFL Commish (07-22-2023)