ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-08-2023, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
How did he kick the can down the road? Teams start rookies, there isn’t enough depth or roster space to not start rookies. How is this different than any other team?

Who plucked Autry out of his team and gave him a contract in the first place? Yeah, it happens, they knew they were going to draft several at the position. Same with CB this year. Bradley wanted his type of CBs, so they brought in a bunch of young guys that fit the mold. You have to do that at position groups. Not every position group is going to be perfect every year. It’s impossible with the cap today.

How do you assemble a good team?

So you must not be in favor of resigning Quinton, Leonard, or JT. It’s like you want to punish him for drafting all-pros but not at the positions you prefer. How dare he draft JT, why couldn’t he just draft a mediocre RB. That sounds so incredibly petulant. Most GMs don’t even draft multiple all-pros. And Leonard impacts games with turnovers which is the most valuable thing you can do on defense.

The GM doesn’t set the depth chart, the coach does.

When he got here we had a QB and a LT. Since then he has drafted replacements at those positions.
He’s drafted multiple DEs and signed a few more. Unless you have a top ten pick, great DEs are hard to find.
He’s drafted multiple receivers. But until you have good QB play it’s never going to be great.
CB is a de-emphasized position of importance in Eberflus’ scheme. We will see how it goes with Bradley’s guys.
I typed out a point by point response and lost it on the damn mobile app. I’ll just say we simply disagree and we’ll see how Ballard builds from here. I’ve conceded he’s a pretty good talent evaluator, but I also recognize there is some degree of positional value that matters. I’d give him credit if he drafted an All Pro punter. I also recognize that’s less valuable than a really good but sub pro bowl level DE.

On the contracts - In general, no I don’t think setting the market at LG, off-ball LB, and RB is a real path to greatness. Admittedly there isn’t a formula though and each situation is different. Individually after spending a 6 on Nelson they had to pay him, no complaints on that contract. I understand why they wanted to pay Leonard, but I’ve also said they will likely regret the contract. And I think they are right in being cautious with Taylor. I wouldn’t give him what he’s reportedly asking for.

Ultimately my issues with Ballard boils down to philosophy. You asked how to properly build a team. My first thing would be determining where you are - rebuilding or winning mode. Ballard’s moves have bounced between these two categories. He’s signed and traded for aging QBs (win now moves) and then treated the rest of the roster like he’s in a rebuild. Ignoring critical positions, and gifting positions to rookies and raw players with little vet competition. The Colts have been in no man’s land with Ballard at the helm. Irsay becoming involved IMO is a result of exactly what I’m saying. And as much as I wish Jim would shut up and stay out of everything, he is the reason the team now has hope - whether that was his intent with the whole Saturday move or not.

If AR pans out we’ll get to see what Ballard can do. He’s had the crutch of no QB to help justify anything he does. This is Ballard’s 7ths season in charge. I see individual good pics, admittedly better than many. I don’t see anything particularly impressive in the overall roster and certainly not in the outcomes of those seasons. I think half the GMs in the league could have steered the Colts to as an impressive of a roster and record as Ballard currently has. I’m sure you disagree and honestly I hope you are right - maybe we’ll finally see the dynasty Chaka kept telling me Ballard was building when we had these same discussions.

Edited to add: I’ll also admit that if a few particular young guys at key positions (QB, LT, DE, WR) hit this could be a really good team and I’ll need to eat some crow. But in that case Ballard would be drafting at an extremely impressive clip and I believe most things show even great talent evaluators tend to come back closer to the pack over time.

Last edited by rm1369; 09-08-2023 at 03:14 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (09-09-2023), Chromeburn (09-08-2023), IndyNorm (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 04:57 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Richardson has a RGIII like rookie season, Trevor Lawrence's luck runs out as DCs expose him, the Titans aging core falls flat on its face, and the Texans can't pit it together because of their youth movement. There's your division winning scenario.
i was going by an actual real scenario. not your retarded version of reality
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (09-08-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 11:40 AM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I typed out a point by point response and lost it on the damn mobile app. I’ll just say we simply disagree and we’ll see how Ballard builds from here. I’ve conceded he’s a pretty good talent evaluator, but I also recognize there is some degree of positional value that matters. I’d give him credit if he drafted an All Pro punter. I also recognize that’s less valuable than a really good but sub pro bowl level DE.

On the contracts - In general, no I don’t think setting the market at LG, off-ball LB, and RB is a real path to greatness. Admittedly there isn’t a formula though and each situation is different. Individually after spending a 6 on Nelson they had to pay him, no complaints on that contract. I understand why they wanted to pay Leonard, but I’ve also said they will likely regret the contract. And I think they are right in being cautious with Taylor. I wouldn’t give him what he’s reportedly asking for.

Ultimately my issues with Ballard boils down to philosophy. You asked how to properly build a team. My first thing would be determining where you are - rebuilding or winning mode. Ballard’s moves have bounced between these two categories. He’s signed and traded for aging QBs (win now moves) and then treated the rest of the roster like he’s in a rebuild. Ignoring critical positions, and gifting positions to rookies and raw players with little vet competition. The Colts have been in no man’s land with Ballard at the helm. Irsay becoming involved IMO is a result of exactly what I’m saying. And as much as I wish Jim would shut up and stay out of everything, he is the reason the team now has hope - whether that was his intent with the whole Saturday move or not.

If AR pans out we’ll get to see what Ballard can do. He’s had the crutch of no QB to help justify anything he does. This is Ballard’s 7ths season in charge. I see individual good pics, admittedly better than many. I don’t see anything particularly impressive in the overall roster and certainly not in the outcomes of those seasons. I think half the GMs in the league could have steered the Colts to as an impressive of a roster and record as Ballard currently has. I’m sure you disagree and honestly I hope you are right - maybe we’ll finally see the dynasty Chaka kept telling me Ballard was building when we had these same discussions.

Edited to add: I’ll also admit that if a few particular young guys at key positions (QB, LT, DE, WR) hit this could be a really good team and I’ll need to eat some crow. But in that case Ballard would be drafting at an extremely impressive clip and I believe most things show even great talent evaluators tend to come back closer to the pack over time.
Fantastic breakdown and the call out of his passive aggressive approach with vets and rooks / low draft pics is spot on. I also think a good portion of that could be attributable to Frank who I will go to my grave believing was and remains convinced his scheme can turn a turd into a diamond, particularly at WR. I could easily see meetings where Frank would champion a player like Pascal or Michael Johnson as break out stars if you just gave him a tried and true stand in the pocket passer ignoring the fact that talent trumps every other factor, including that fucking obsessive play sheet. Thus telling Ballard to emphasize other areas. I've long blasted to ad nauseum the Pryor fiasco as being much more Frank than Ballard (though I think both should have been fired for that one alone). Frank is the fucker that would have play after play after play seen him in camp and had the responsibility of doing something about it - but didn't, again, because I believe he is so bought into his fucking geriatric play sheet that he could mask Pryor's level of suck.

All that said. Ballard has had a long damn time to build a winning team and right now, this team to me, is woefully short on quality back-ups. LB and DL look to be pretty well stocked, no other position on the the team seems to have guys that look like they could step in and maintain a high level of play if the main guy goes down. Minshew not included- because I think he is a low end starter in the league and an anomaly in that right now, he could probably produce more wins than the starter at the position but that's not what we need today. I do think bringing Minshew in was a stand out move, but one I mentally attribute more to Stichen than Ballard.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:41 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
i don't see any scenario where we win the division
I think it is possible, not likely but possible. If we develop a pass rush, which could happen and if AR/Steichen can find a way use AR's athleticism to move the ball and have a middle of the pack offense, in this division it is possible. We aren't going to scare anybody in the postseason and it would depend on Paye and Dayo taking a step. That is possible. Paye was showing some signs of getting it together last year before he got hurt. When we drafted him we knew it would take time, he was incredibly raw as a pass rusher. Dayo is in his third year out from achilles, this is the year he was supposed to get his explosion back. Our tackles are not an issue, we do have that to build on. That might cover a lot for our secondary, which is scary to me. Not going to put any money on it but weirder shit has happened. On the night before we open it is about as positive as I can get.

Last edited by Oldcolt; 09-09-2023 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:18 PM

Thanked 2,683 Times in 1,189 Posts

Is today Groundhog Day?

Having a sense of déjà vu with this news.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...49670002569384

Quote:
Blast from the past: Veteran OT Jared Veldheer is coming out of retirement and signing to the Colts practice squad today, per source.
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...50630615626209

Quote:
Jared Veldheer, 36, has appeared in 121 NFL games (114 starts).

He last played in the NFL in the 2020 season, when he started a playoff game for the Colts and then signed with the Packers before landing on the COVID list.

Now, back for another playoff push in Indy.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 05:34 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
i was going by an actual real scenario. not your retarded version of reality
3 out of 4 in a not at all serious preseason prediction is not bad at all I would say.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 05:48 PM

Thanked 1,670 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
I saw the headline this morning and started wondering if Smith is going to be out for a while. Any word?
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 06:43 PM

Thanked 2,683 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I saw the headline this morning and started wondering if Smith is going to be out for a while. Any word?

No official word about Smith. Today, one of the beat reporters asked about a timeline on Braden and Steichen said he didn't have a timeline on his return.

The other odd thing about this signing is that Veldheer was hit with a 6 game suspension due to a positive drug test. Rather than serve the suspension, he retired. I would assume he will need to serve that suspension first unless he now plans to appeal it somehow.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 08:54 PM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
3 out of 4 in a not at all serious preseason prediction is not bad at all I would say.
I'll give you one more too, you were right about Stroud, at this point he appears to be the best QB in the draft....I'm afraid AR is going to spend more time on the injury report than on the field!

Last edited by CletusPyle; 12-11-2023 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:24 PM

Thanked 1,344 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
No official word about Smith. Today, one of the beat reporters asked about a timeline on Braden and Steichen said he didn't have a timeline on his return.

The other odd thing about this signing is that Veldheer was hit with a 6 game suspension due to a positive drug test. Rather than serve the suspension, he retired. I would assume he will need to serve that suspension first unless he now plans to appeal it somehow.
That's weird. Maybe he doesn't have to serve the suspension since he retired? Otherwise if he does then there's really no point in us signing him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-11-2023), Spike (12-11-2023)