ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-10-2021, 05:03 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
It is not a hard sell to me, if the money is there. I don't think there is as much after we sign who we need to keep or replace as you do.
There isn't. There's basically nothing if you want to retain any of the pending FAs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 05:35 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
Of all those on the FA list on the team, I think it breaks down like this:

Definitely re-signed (or at least given competitive offers):
DE Denico Autry
CB Xavier Rhodes
CB T.J. Carrie
DE Al-Quadin Muhammad
LB Anthony Walker Jr.

Probably re-signed/offered:
WR T.Y. Hilton
TE Trey Burton
DT Taylor Stallworth
OT Chaz Green
SS Tavon Wilson

Complete question-mark:
RT Le'Raven Clark
QB Philip Rivers
QB Jacoby Brissett
RB Marlon Mack

Not re-signed:
DE Justin Houston (I could be wrong here, but at his age, nothing more than 1 year)
S Malik Hooker
OC Joey Hunt
CB Tremon Smith
P Ryan Allen
OT Jared Veldheer
I see no reason to resign Walker. He's the Colts 3rd LB in what's becoming a nickel league, and E.J. Speed will give you at least 75-80% of what Walker will give you (might even be better with extended playing time), including better speed at the position, at maybe 30% of the cost tops. I think all but Rivers on your "complete question mark" list are not coming back, and while I'd like to see most of your "probably" list back, I'd be surprised if more than two are. Also why does no one want to resign Veldheer? He'd be a great backup/swing tackle.

I'll break the list into similar categories as you:

Receive Competitive Offers:
DE Denico Autry
CB Xavier Rhodes

Receive Offers Commensurate to Team Role:
DE Al-Quadin Muhammad
CB T.J. Carrie
WR T.Y. Hilton
DT Taylor Stallworth
OT Chaz Green
SS Tavon Wilson
OT Jared Veldheer
OC Joey Hunt

Complete Question Mark:
QB Philip Rivers

Unlikely to offer:
DE Justin Houston
LB Anthony Walker Jr.
RB Marlon Mack
QB Jacoby Brissett
TE Trey Burton
RT Le'Raven Clark
S Malik Hooker
CB Tremon Smith
P Ryan Allen

Of those, I'd expect to get Autry and maybe Rhodes back, I'd hope to get two of the OLs and at least one of the two DLs back, and then look at free agency and the draft. I would of course completely change my opinion on Houston were he willing to take a more team friendly contract, but I suspect he will want numbers in the range of his previous contract.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:15 PM

Thanked 1,674 Times in 801 Posts

For Veldheer, I just assumed he'd go back into retirement, but who knows?
what will Castonzo do?
Old 01-10-2021, 06:17 PM

Thanked 4,423 Times in 2,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I see no reason to resign Walker. He's the Colts 3rd LB in what's becoming a nickel league, and E.J. Speed will give you at least 75-80% of what Walker will give you (might even be better with extended playing time), including better speed at the position, at maybe 30% of the cost tops. I think all but Rivers on your "complete question mark" list are not coming back, and while I'd like to see most of your "probably" list back, I'd be surprised if more than two are. Also why does no one want to resign Veldheer? He'd be a great backup/swing tackle.

I'll break the list into similar categories as you:

Receive Competitive Offers:
DE Denico Autry
CB Xavier Rhodes

Receive Offers Commensurate to Team Role:
DE Al-Quadin Muhammad
CB T.J. Carrie
WR T.Y. Hilton
DT Taylor Stallworth
OT Chaz Green
SS Tavon Wilson
OT Jared Veldheer
OC Joey Hunt

Complete Question Mark:
QB Philip Rivers

Unlikely to offer:
DE Justin Houston
LB Anthony Walker Jr.
RB Marlon Mack
QB Jacoby Brissett
TE Trey Burton
RT Le'Raven Clark
S Malik Hooker
CB Tremon Smith
P Ryan Allen

Of those, I'd expect to get Autry and maybe Rhodes back, I'd hope to get two of the OLs and at least one of the two DLs back, and then look at free agency and the draft. I would of course completely change my opinion on Houston were he willing to take a more team friendly contract, but I suspect he will want numbers in the range of his previous contract.
I tried to do this on OTC, but can't figure it out this time. Based on the ones you mention, what cap would be left for even one free agent?
Old 01-10-2021, 07:12 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
There's no point in adding if you're not adding talent that is better than what's on your roster. I singled out those two because they're young (both 26 or younger for 2021 season) and only one of them is seen as top of market. But why spend cap dollars just to spend cap dollars? I'd rather fill WR3, for example, by letting in house options and draftees compete for it instead of handing some mediocre veteran $5 million+ to not really improve the team. If something like DeForest Buckner comes along, that's how you spend your cap savings, and if you're going after free agents to try to have some assurance that they'll improve your team when you're at the level you're claiming the Colts are, you need to go top of market.

But also I don't really understand this claim, because Ballard hasn't been hesitant to go into FA to get bargains, either. Ebron was a bargain (didn't work out second season, but first season production was worth both seasons of pay), Autry was a bargain, and he went top of market for Houston and Buckner. I guess the question would be what move do you want Ballard to have made in the last 4 seasons that he didn't? There doesn't seem to be an obvious one to me.

Regarding starting Eason or a rookie in 2021, I'd be encouraged, because it would mean Ballard and Reich believe enough in that QB to hitch the organization's future and their careers to that QB. But that's because I'm of the opinion that the Colts have among the best coaching and talent evaluation staff in the NFL, something that clearly many NFL teams agree with considering how many head coach and GM interviews Colts front office personnel are getting. That said, will free agents buy in? If not, now you're paying a premium to get the same guys, and as we've seen over the last 4 years, he's not going to do that, and IMO that's a good thing.
I don’t feel like going through every year picking out every move. And I don’t have time to do it. Although I’m thinking of doing a year by year analysis if I can. But that is part of the problem, he is only bargain shopping. Which is ok if you are rebuilding or close to the cap. We had to trade for Buckner and gave up a lot for him plus a huge contract, wasn’t FA. I’ll disagree on Houston, good signing but older, I don’t see him as top of the market. We’ve had a lot of cap space in the past and had a considerable amount last offseason. I don’t need every high priced free agent, but he could shore up our weaknesses with something involved a little better than what we have been fielding. Most of his signings have been good, I don’t think he has gone far enough in some areas. WR has been crap for several years. The one guy he did sign got hurt last year. Then it’s all a bunch of dudes or rookies. We could have gone after one of the pass rushers GB signed a couple years ago. We just missed another window and I don’t feel like the team is maximizing its assets. Do they want a SB or do they want to be competitive while saving lots of money? Could we have invested in a decent swing tackle? The stats were already out there, we don’t do well when Castonzo goes down. Reminds me of the baseball parable of the hitter waiting for the perfect pitch.

I think we do have good evaluators at the top, I wonder how many scouts we have still from the Grigson days. I’m also sure those owners are seeming the team be competitive while saving lots of money.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:16 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,139 Times in 646 Posts

Save $$ with a QB on a rookie contract
Old 01-10-2021, 07:18 PM

I found the OTC thing, and plugged in the players I think we will likely retain, and it left just enough to sign the draft picks. Now, if Rivers isn't brought back, and we roll with Eason and a low-cost option at back-up, we could go after someone. The projected cap is about $40M less next year, which makes it tight. Now, they will have leverage with the lower cap every other team will also have, but you can ruin team morale if you go cheap with guys who should get good raises.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
That is the only way I see us being able to go out and get someone. Draft a rookie and only keep him and Eason.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:26 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Reich just said he wants Rivers back
Old 01-10-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Reich just said he wants Rivers back