ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-01-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
I never said or implied that McDaniels would be a better coach and I never said or implied that I want Reich fired. You’re doing a fine job countering arguments that I’m not making.

I think Reich is capable of being a really good coach, he’s shown that the past 3 years. I think he’ll eventually get this figured out.

But if you don’t think he’s been a major problem this season, you’re in denial.
I was also responding to your sarcasm about an argument I’ve never made and I’m not sure anyone here has made - that Ballard is the reason Reich called the plays he did. I think some of the criticism is valid and some is over blown. However you can look at the several threads trashing Reich to see him being trashed for the GM decisions he doesn’t make to blaming Eberflus on him and not Ballard. That’s where I’ve primarily called BS and pointed out how Teflon Ballard has been.

Injuries, pass rush, QB play (Wentz mistakes, no viable backup, antvax issue), and then probably a tie between initial OL depth and play calling. Those are my biggest issues on the season.

I don’t have all 22 but my memory from being at the game was Tenn was playing the run and giving the pass. The Colts passing game left several plays on the field that were there. I also remember a few successful RPOs that were passes. In both cases taking what the defense gives you. I remember 3 running plays resulting in holding calls - putting the team in holes and common passing situations. But yes I still agree they could have ran a little more. In particular on 3rd down at the 38 leading 14-0. Going for it on 4th was the right call but 3rd down should have been a run if he knew he was going for it. 4th likely should have been too. The TE screen was a bad call. I liked passing - Tenn was geared for run but it should have been a roll out for Wentz with an option to throw it, throw it away, or run it. I have no problem with the OT play call. Wentz made stupid fucking decision and had multiple others opened - including Taylor in the open field.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Discflinger you actually love this team? I find this group to be the least likable Colt team I have ever rooted for. Prima donas that think they are all that without ever winning shit. Coach that keeps saying what a good team he has here. Participation trophies galore at the end of the season with smiles all around because they 'won'. Think Lombardi would be saying lovely things about his QB who threw a pass a fourth grader wouldn't try? Parcels liked to say 'you are what your record says you are'. He was right. This is a mediocre team through and through. And very unlikable.
Yes, I believe in this team. It may not be the best, but I think they have it in them. Go Colts!
The Following User Says Thank You to Discflinger For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 06:32 PM

10-7!
Old 11-01-2021, 07:07 PM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I was also responding to your sarcasm about an argument I’ve never made and I’m not sure anyone here has made - that Ballard is the reason Reich called the plays he did. I think some of the criticism is valid and some is over blown. However you can look at the several threads trashing Reich to see him being trashed for the GM decisions he doesn’t make to blaming Eberflus on him and not Ballard. That’s where I’ve primarily called BS and pointed out how Teflon Ballard has been.

Injuries, pass rush, QB play (Wentz mistakes, no viable backup, antvax issue), and then probably a tie between initial OL depth and play calling. Those are my biggest issues on the season.

I don’t have all 22 but my memory from being at the game was Tenn was playing the run and giving the pass. The Colts passing game left several plays on the field that were there. I also remember a few successful RPOs that were passes. In both cases taking what the defense gives you. I remember 3 running plays resulting in holding calls - putting the team in holes and common passing situations. But yes I still agree they could have ran a little more. In particular on 3rd down at the 38 leading 14-0. Going for it on 4th was the right call but 3rd down should have been a run if he knew he was going for it. 4th likely should have been too. The TE screen was a bad call. I liked passing - Tenn was geared for run but it should have been a roll out for Wentz with an option to throw it, throw it away, or run it. I have no problem with the OT play call. Wentz made stupid fucking decision and had multiple others opened - including Taylor in the open field.
Reich was asked about the run pass ratio and the rpo’s were something he mentioned. Basically, he said there were 6 rpo’s that ended up as passes and the 2 minute drills at the half and the end of the game were what skewed the numbers a little. Also, that the Titans were trying to take the run away.

I have several issues with that. First, Taylor is the best player you have. You get him the ball even if you have to force it. Taylor had 26 carries in two games against the Titans, the two biggest games of the year. That’s not enough. That’s on Reich.

2nd, even conceding that they were trying to take Taylor away, they weren’t being successful. The holding calls were the main thing stopping Taylor yesterday. The Titans never really did.

3rd, Wentz got progressively worse as the game went on and he’s not really a carry the team on his back guy in the first place. The 4th quarter and overtime should have been Taylor time. Especially overtime.

All of those things go squarely on Reichs shoulders.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 07:31 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Reich was asked about the run pass ratio and the rpo’s were something he mentioned. Basically, he said there were 6 rpo’s that ended up as passes and the 2 minute drills at the half and the end of the game were what skewed the numbers a little. Also, that the Titans were trying to take the run away.

I have several issues with that. First, Taylor is the best player you have. You get him the ball even if you have to force it. Taylor had 26 carries in two games against the Titans, the two biggest games of the year. That’s not enough. That’s on Reich.

2nd, even conceding that they were trying to take Taylor away, they weren’t being successful. The holding calls were the main thing stopping Taylor yesterday. The Titans never really did.

3rd, Wentz got progressively worse as the game went on and he’s not really a carry the team on his back guy in the first place. The 4th quarter and overtime should have been Taylor time. Especially overtime.

All of those things go squarely on Reichs shoulders.
The 2 minute drills skewed it. Excuse maker. You control the calls during the 2 min drills dickwad. Go away.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Hoopsdoc (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 07:37 PM

Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
=

3rd, Wentz got progressively worse as the game went on and he’s not really a carry the team on his back guy in the first place.
The 2019 version of Wentz carried the team on his back and into the playoffs.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:49 PM

You all deserve better pay and respect than Ballard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Discflinger For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 09:48 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I am most upset at the use of what I believe is meant to be the foundation of this team, the offensive line. The Colts have spent a fortune both in money and in draft capital to build a dominant offensive line. I thought I saw this developing with my own eyes. I agree that JT is special but i don't give a damn who the back is, we should physically dominating teams and running on anyone. We were starting to do it with Mack and were doing it with JT last year BUT it was the line that set the tone. I thought the idea was to get an identity as as smash mouth team, one that can win in shit weather in December on the road. Wentz actually made some sense as that teams QB. He is though as nails physically and can play well within a team framework, at least he did for a few games with us. He sucks at hero ball. We knew this before he got here yet in the biggest game here he is being asked to play hero ball. WTF? Omaha has rightly pointed out that having Pacscal as our second wide receiver for this long is malpractice-it is even worse if you don't run the ball as this guys best attribute is his down field blocking. I hope they get back to running the football, no matter who they play or who the back is. If they were not going to do this they should be spending money and draft capital differently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 11:11 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I am most upset at the use of what I believe is meant to be the foundation of this team, the offensive line. The Colts have spent a fortune both in money and in draft capital to build a dominant offensive line. I thought I saw this developing with my own eyes. I agree that JT is special but i don't give a damn who the back is, we should physically dominating teams and running on anyone. We were starting to do it with Mack and were doing it with JT last year BUT it was the line that set the tone. I thought the idea was to get an identity as as smash mouth team, one that can win in shit weather in December on the road. Wentz actually made some sense as that teams QB. He is though as nails physically and can play well within a team framework, at least he did for a few games with us. He sucks at hero ball. We knew this before he got here yet in the biggest game here he is being asked to play hero ball. WTF? Omaha has rightly pointed out that having Pacscal as our second wide receiver for this long is malpractice-it is even worse if you don't run the ball as this guys best attribute is his down field blocking. I hope they get back to running the football, no matter who they play or who the back is. If they were not going to do this they should be spending money and draft capital differently.
Which has emerged as a primary complaint for those most vocal in opposition to Reich. We DID have this mentality, we WERE bullying. Then, suddenly, he seems to have decided our identity, is to be crafty, to do the non-traditional. Seemingly it is HIS identity now and that is costing us ballgames. It needs to stop, Ballard, Irsay, whoever needs to sit on him and stop this gimmicky try to outthink them bullshit!
Old 11-01-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
The 2 minute drills skewed it. Excuse maker. You control the calls during the 2 min drills dickwad. Go away.
This is exactly the type of BS I’m talking about. In the 1st half and end of regulation drives the Colts scored 10 points. One ending with no time remaining and one ending with 22 seconds remaining. By most measures that fairly successful. There were 16 passes and 3 runs. If you want to complain about the int play call in regulation fine. Do so, it’s valid. Your comment here is just worthless BS.

I went to go see just how big an idiot Reich is for his apparently near criminal misuse of Taylor. He’s 11th in the league in rushes per game. 5 of the 10 players ahead of him have already missed games for injury (or are now injured). Including the top 2 in Henry and Cook. He’s also 11th in touches per game, but climbs to fourth in total touches. 3 of the top 5 guys in touches per game have already (McCaffrey, Cook) or will (Henry) miss multiple games.

I’d like to see Taylor get 2-3 more touches per game. I don’t want to see him used like Henry.

Last edited by rm1369; 11-01-2021 at 11:38 PM.