ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-02-2023, 05:39 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
He hasnt been game ready for over a year. Keep him, one of the LBs will get hurt, miss a game, land on the short term injury list. He is a solid vet who can step in and play.

He is a positive force on the field and in practice and in the locker room.

I do not understand why fans obsess about the cap. Its not their money, get over it. Has Ballard ever run out of cash during a season?
Haven't seen it but talking about on radio, he is apparently skirmishing with fans over their criticism of him on X. Not good.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:02 PM

Thanked 1,670 Times in 798 Posts

Leonard hasn't been bad like some people imply. He just hasn't returned to pre-surgery form, which is to say, his nearly $20m/yr worth.

If he only ever gets back to Starting-LB caliber, that's fine in a vacuum... you just can't pay a Starting-LB an All-Pro salary.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Brylok (10-02-2023), Butter (10-04-2023), IndyNorm (10-02-2023), Ironshaft (10-04-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 08:29 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Leonard hasn't been bad like some people imply. He just hasn't returned to pre-surgery form, which is to say, his nearly $20m/yr worth.

If he only ever gets back to Starting-LB caliber, that's fine in a vacuum... you just can't pay a Starting-LB an All-Pro salary.
Sure you can, show Taylor the door. The team can do what ever they want.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:54 PM

Thanked 1,343 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Sure you can, show Taylor the door. The team can do what ever they want.
Not if you want to field a competitive team. We already allowed someone who is currently better than Leonard walk b/c of Leonard's contract (Okereke). Franklin has played his way into getting paid. You going to not extend him and ultimately let him walk in order to keep Leonard? That might work out ok if Leonard is back to his old self. But if he remains JAG then that's a horrible decision.

Also, on top of JT (if he has indeed removed his head out of his agent's ass) Grover, MPJ, Moore, and Blackmon are all FAs at the end of the season. That $12M we'd save towards the cap will definitely come in handy when trying to re-sign some of those guys.

Give Leonard the season to see if he can turn the corner towards becoming his old self. Maybe even some of the offseason as well. But t if he doesn't progress then it's best for the team to let him go. Sucks if this happens, but would be best for the team. Just like it was in '08 when we let Marvin go.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Butter (10-04-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 09:33 PM

Thanked 4,423 Times in 2,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Not if you want to field a competitive team. We already allowed someone who is currently better than Leonard walk b/c of Leonard's contract (Okereke). Franklin has played his way into getting paid. You going to not extend him and ultimately let him walk in order to keep Leonard? That might work out ok if Leonard is back to his old self. But if he remains JAG then that's a horrible decision.

Also, on top of JT (if he has indeed removed his head out of his agent's ass) Grover, MPJ, Moore, and Blackmon are all FAs at the end of the season. That $12M we'd save towards the cap will definitely come in handy when trying to re-sign some of those guys.

Give Leonard the season to see if he can turn the corner towards becoming his old self. Maybe even some of the offseason as well. But t if he doesn't progress then it's best for the team to let him go. Sucks if this happens, but would be best for the team. Just like it was in '08 when we let Marvin go.
If he can get back to creating turnovers, there is no way you release him.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:38 PM

Thanked 1,343 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
If he can get back to creating turnovers, there is no way you release him.
Of course. Like I said. Give him the rest of the season and maybe part of the offseason to see if he starts getting back to being his old self.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:10 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
He hasnt been game ready for over a year. Keep him, one of the LBs will get hurt, miss a game, land on the short term injury list. He is a solid vet who can step in and play.

He is a positive force on the field and in practice and in the locker room.

I do not understand why fans obsess about the cap. Its not their money, get over it. Has Ballard ever run out of cash during a season?
It is stupid to ignore cap implications, it is a huge aspect of team building. So far Leonard has not been a force at anything, what ever this locker room presence is I doubt it is worth 20 million. I don't think many are seriously implying we should cut him right now, but if by the end of the season he is not playing at an all-pro level it would be stupid to not release him, great locker room BS or not.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
Chaka (10-03-2023), Colts And Orioles (10-02-2023), IndyNorm (10-03-2023), Ironshaft (10-04-2023), JAFF (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Here’s why you should care: in a hard salary cap environment, overpaying one player will limit or even eliminate a team’s ability to sign other players.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
JAFF (10-03-2023), Oldcolt (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 08:37 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
It is stupid to ignore cap implications, it is a huge aspect of team building. So far Leonard has not been a force at anything, what ever this locker room presence is I doubt it is worth 20 million. I don't think many are seriously implying we should cut him right now, but if by the end of the season he is not playing at an all-pro level it would be stupid to not release him, great locker room BS or not.
I dont ignore the cap. I dont really care. Thats Ballards problem. And I’m GUESSING that at the end of year three of the Richardson experiment, the team isnt in the playoffs, there will be a new coach and GM. 50-50.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:40 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Here’s why you should care: in a hard salary cap environment, overpaying one player will limit or even eliminate a team’s ability to sign other players.
1. Its not my money
2. I cant do anything about it

I got bigger worries that do have ramifications in my life.