ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-30-2023, 01:26 PM

Thanked 1,343 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
There were 2 OTs picked up, someone is moving to OG based on that.

Here's the depth chart as of now:

OT: Raimann Smith Freeland O'Donnell Murray Witt
OG: Nelson Fries Ekeyor Hambright French
OC: Kelly Pinter Shepley

They typically keep 9 OL, I could see it working:

OT: Raimann Smith Freeland Witt
OG: Nelson Fries Ekeyor
OC: Kelly Pinter

With Freeland being the first off the bench for any injury with a OG injury resulting in Braden sliding inside.
That would be banking way too much on Fries and Ekeyor (and not to mention Kelly and Pinter). After the absolute disaster that was the OL last year Ballard would be wise to bring in at least a serviceable vet at OG, and possibly OC as well. We have the cap space. Why not do right by out new QBs and insure they'll be protected better than our QBs were last year?

Also, in all likelihood Witt's not going to be ready anytime soon and will need a red shirt year. Depending on how much promise he shows that could be on the PS.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:42 PM

Thanked 1,673 Times in 800 Posts

This list of UDFAs looks like Ballard has been sending scouts out to all these tiny schools looking for gems, reminiscent of Leonard and Speed. I’m curious about that CB from Tiffin.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:52 PM

Thanked 4,300 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
That would be banking way too much on Fries and Ekeyor (and not to mention Kelly and Pinter). After the absolute disaster that was the OL last year Ballard would be wise to bring in at least a serviceable vet at OG, and possibly OC as well. We have the cap space. Why not do right by out new QBs and insure they'll be protected better than our QBs were last year?

Also, in all likelihood Witt's not going to be ready anytime soon and will need a red shirt year. Depending on how much promise he shows that could be on the PS.
i think we need a vet at guard. center we are ok for now. if kelly doesn't get back to form, we can play pinter and get by. you can't pay everyone up front so we have to rely on young or inexpensive players.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (04-30-2023), IndyNorm (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 02:06 PM

Thanked 1,670 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
i think we need a vet at guard. center we are ok for now. if kelly doesn't get back to form, we can play pinter and get by. you can't pay everyone up front so we have to rely on young or inexpensive players.
It'd be nice. Off the top of my head, though, I think Risner from DEN might be the only interesting guy. And I think I read he was going to want $9m-$10m/yr.

I haven't looked to see who all else is available.
Old 04-30-2023, 04:28 PM

Thanked 1,343 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Suppose that's fair. Pinter did fill in just fine at OC in '21 when we had good guard play on either side of him.

Last edited by IndyNorm; 04-30-2023 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 04:59 PM

Thanked 2,679 Times in 1,188 Posts

I am a little surprised that the Colts signed as many UDFA's as they did since they were already bumping up against the roster space limit.

After their draft day trades, they have 12 drafted players from this class.

That leaves space for 4 UDFA's.

So there are going to be some roster cuts coming before these UDFA's officially ink their contracts.

https://overthecap.com/estimating-th...-for-each-team
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 05:20 PM

Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
I am a little surprised that the Colts signed as many UDFA's as they did since they were already bumping up against the roster space limit.

After their draft day trades, they have 12 drafted players from this class.

That leaves space for 4 UDFA's.

So there are going to be some roster cuts coming before these UDFA's officially ink their contracts.

https://overthecap.com/estimating-th...-for-each-team

They also have some May mini-camp invites. I realize that they don't count against the roster, but 1 or 2 may overpass a UDFA or even a draft pick.
Old 04-30-2023, 06:37 PM

Carter O'Donnell, I am wondering how much the Colts like this guy. He was injured early in training camp from memory and was on IR. They resigned him to a 2 year deal (which means very little), but he has now been around the Colts organisation for a good 3 or 4 years, so they must like something about him. I wonder if he was a Joe Reitz who came out of nowhere, and maybe they were hoping for something like that from him last year, and then he got injured. Maybe that explains a little of the lack of action on the offensive line at the start of 2022 and sticking with Pryor etc to start the year.

Or maybe he is just another camp body?
Old 05-01-2023, 06:15 PM

Still a little surprised that Ekiyor Jr went undrafted. He has to be one of the favorites of the UDFA class to make the team.

Below is his interview that was completed ahead of the Senior Bowl:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/senior-b...iyor-interview

Quote:
The 2023 Senior Bowl will provide an opportunity for NFL draft prospects to prove themselves on the largest pre-draft stage. Alabama offensive guard Emil Ekiyor Jr. plans on taking full advantage. Ekiyor Jr. recently spoke exclusively with the Senior Bowl and Draft Network to discuss his motivation for accepting his invitation to compete in Mobile, Alabama.

Ekiyor Jr. also talked about what he’s striving to prove to NFL general managers and scouts in attendance at the Senior Bowl, positional versatility, and more. Let’s get to know Emil Ekiyor Jr. a little better.

JM: Where were you when you found out about your Senior Bowl invite and what was your initial reaction like?

Emil Ekiyor Jr:
I was actually in coach Nick Saban’s office when I received my invite. I was paying attention to social media and saw some other guys had already gotten their Senior Bowl invite. I was starting to wonder if I was going to get invited at all (laughs). What’s going on?

Getting that invite during my meeting with coach Saban was very fulfilling. I called my dad right away. He was so excited for me.

JM: That sounds like an awesome moment. What was your motivation for accepting the Senior Bowl’s offer?

Emil Ekiyor Jr: I think about the guys that came before me at Alabama. They showed me the way through this process. They went to the Senior Bowl and had a great experience. I wanted to follow in their footsteps. I set that goal for myself before my senior season. I wanted to receive an invite to the Senior Bowl. To accomplish that goal is very gratifying.

JM: We’re so happy for you. What are you looking to prove to NFL general managers, coaching staffs, and scouts in attendance in Mobile?

Emil Ekiyor Jr: I want to prove my versatility first and foremost. I’m capable of playing multiple positions. I can play both guard positions. I can play center as well. I’m excited to showcase my physicality and athleticism. I’m going to put all of those things on display. I hope teams like what they see.

JM: You played a lot of guard at Alabama, but you’ll be playing some center in Mobile too. You just talked about playing multiple positions.

Emil Ekiyor Jr: I played center during my senior season of high school. I played a little center throughout the early portion of my career at Alabama before I found my niche at guard. I definitely have some experience playing center and I’m excited to prove that at the Senior Bowl. I’m going to show everybody that I’m not a one-trick pony.

JM: You’re a versatile player. When we turn the tape on, we see an absolute mauler in the run game. You’re a massive, powerful blocker. How did you develop that aspect of your game?

Emil Ekiyor Jr: It’s something that’s always been a part of my game. I think back to high school. My goal has always been to finish people. I like physically imposing my will on my opponents. I tried to carry that same mentality through college.

For you to say that about my game, I take that as a compliment. I appreciate that you’ve put the tape on. I’m glad my tape can speak for itself in that aspect.

JM: I’ve enjoyed watching you on tape. You departed Alabama as a three-year starter. Coach Saban fosters an extremely competitive environment. What is it about your personality and skill set that allowed you to contribute at such a young age?

Emil Ekiyor Jr: I think my willingness to work stood out. I’ve always been very dedicated to my craft. I had that worker’s mentality from the moment I stepped foot on campus. A lot of hard work and dedication went into that.

I earned the trust of our coaching staff. I feel like I was a dependable guy. I always did things the right way. I showed up on time and handled my business. The coaches trusted me from a young age. My hard work set me apart from some of the guys in my recruiting class.

JM: It sure did. What can you accomplish at the Senior Bowl that you can’t at other pre-draft events?

Emil Ekiyor Jr: It’s such a prestigious bowl game. I’m excited to take in the full experience. Everybody knows about the Senior Bowl. I’m really looking forward to participating. The track record speaks for itself. So many players that came through the Senior Bowl are having amazing NFL careers. I just want to follow in their footsteps.

The Senior Bowl is my first stop on my NFL draft journey. I’m taking this first step. I’m going to do well and compete with the best seniors in the nation.

JM: Are there any players in particular that you’re looking forward to competing with and against at the Senior Bowl?

Emil Ekiyor Jr: I’m really excited to see all of my teammates down there. I know they’re going to have great NFL careers as well. I’m so happy we’re all getting a chance to play in a bowl game like the Senior Bowl.

I’m excited to measure myself up against the competition. I know we’re going to have the best seniors in the country in attendance. If you’re a senior and you got invited to the Senior Bowl, it’s because you’re a good football player. It’s going to be a great challenge for me. I’m always ready to play against the best of the best.

JM: We’re so excited for you. Is there a player in the NFL you’re looking forward to eventually swapping jerseys with?

Emil Ekiyor Jr: All of my former teammates at Alabama come to mind. I battled it out with those guys at practice. We went to war together. We built those off-field relationships as well. A lot of those guys are in the NFL now. I’m thinking of guys like Quinnen Williams and Christian Barmore. Offensive linemen like Landon Dickerson and Alex Leatherwood helped mentor me. I want to reach the same level as those guys. I’d love to do some jersey swaps with them.

JM: Those are some excellent choices. At the end of the week, what does a successful Senior Bowl week look like for Emil Ekiyor Jr?

Emil Ekiyor Jr: I have to win a large majority of my reps first and foremost. I’m going to compete at a high level. I can’t wait to showcase my versatility. I can play all three positions across the interior. Hopefully, that will impress the scouts. I’m going to put my best foot forward.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 05-01-2023 at 09:16 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (05-02-2023), Ironshaft (05-01-2023), njcoltfan (05-02-2023), Racehorse (05-01-2023), smitty46953 (05-02-2023), Spike (05-01-2023), YDFL Commish (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post

The Colts started making some moves today by waiving RB Darrynton Evans, RB Aaron Shampklin, CB David Vereen, and WR Kristian Wilkerson

https://www.colts.com/news/roster-mo...vers-nfl-draft
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (05-02-2023), Oldcolt (05-02-2023), Racehorse (05-02-2023), smitty46953 (05-02-2023), Spike (05-02-2023)