ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-20-2022, 09:37 AM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
I admire your ability to take a positive approach but I've sifted the crap pile. The only nuggets I found were undigested corn. I just can't wrap my head around how this team has "competed" the last two weeks.
They haven’t competed since the Raider game and they haven’t been good since Arizona. That’s 4 straight games of absolutely shitty play, with everything on the line.

At what point do we concede that they just ain’t getting it back?

Maybe they’re just bad?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
JAFF (09-20-2022), Oldcolt (09-20-2022), Thorgrim (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 09:21 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,282 Times in 2,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post

Getting thumped by a team like the Jags is never easy to swallow, and I understand that the knee jerk reaction is going to be fire them all and burn the building to the ground. But, let’s be honest. No one can be hugely surprised by the loss.

On Offense, we have a rebuilding OL, and one of the pieces, at LT, is a guy who’ll never be confused with Anthony Castonzo. We have a thin WR corps that was missing its two most talented pieces; and the Jags have always been willing to sell out to stop Taylor.

On Defense, we have a lot of nice pieces, but we’re just not wired to stop a QB who takes a quick drop and gets rid of the ball.

On Offense, I’d be lying if I said there was much to like. The nearest thing to a glimmer of sunshine was Dulin’s performance. 79 yards on 5 catches was respectable.

Against the Defense, Jacksonville only ran off two chunk plays…a 26 yard pass to Kirk and a 37 yard run by Robinson. Beyond that big run, they held Robinson to 27 yards on 22 carries. I’ll be the first to admit that that’s not much of a peg to hang your helmet on, but when you sift through a crap pile of a loss like this, it’s nice to find a couple of nuggets that aren’t manure.

o

(vs. CHIEFS, 9/25)

The Colts' defense was excellent.

The Colts' new kicker was 2-for-2 in field goal attempts, and 2-for-2 in extra point attempts.

The offensive line was horrible.

In spite of the atrocious performance from the offensive line, Matt Ryan still managed to have a QB rating of 105.9 ...... that included 2 TD passes, 0 INT's, and a game-winning touchdown drive late in the 4th quarter.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
apballin (09-26-2022), Spike (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 10:27 AM

Thanked 1,674 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

(vs. CHIEFS, 9/25)

The Colts' defense was excellent.

The Colts' new kicker was 2-for-2 in field goal attempts, and 2-for-2 in extra point attempts.

The offensive line was horrible.

In spite of the atrocious performance from the offensive line, Matt Ryan still managed to have a QB rating of 105.9 ...... that included 2 TD passes, 0 INT's, and a game-winning touchdown drive late in the 4th quarter.

o
This is pretty much the story so far.

The defense is OK, I wouldn't say excellent, but the run defense is solid, the secondary gradually improving from awful to below average, the pass rush likewise. Also special teams is playing well and really when it comes down it I think that was the difference in the game. Their muffed punt, missed FG and failed fake are the real reasons we won that game.

The offensive line went from a strength in recent years to being about as bad a unit as I can recall. Ryan will be OK as long as he has Pittman and Pierce on the field, those 2 made some big time catches vs the Chiefs. Glad to see Jelani Woods showed up. Those weren't exactly hard ones, but he did his job, and its good the 6'7" guy is actually useful in the end zone.

Last edited by HoosierinFL; 09-26-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

The Chiefs WERE averaging 35+ points per game. The Colts held them
to what MAY be their low for the yr

This D is legit They were outstanding!!!!!!
And we don't even have Leonard out there!!!!!!!!!!

September is NEVER a time to over react NEVER

Division is won in Oct and Nov Same as the conference. Get the kinks worked out in Sept then roll

Jags are better than we thought. They may challenge us for the division and one of us will be a wild card team.

We are 1/2 game out of 1st place in the division 1 1/2 games out of 1st in the conference.

The oline took about 3 weeks to gel last yr. It will come around.

A young O group will take a few games to get it together. They are learning and will get better.

Some of you are just ridiculous with your takes on this team. (YOU KNOW WHO I AM TALKING TO!!!!)

Frank is NOT getting fired Ballard is NOT getting fired. Deal with it and stop the nonsense!!!!

Otherwise we can start a Fire Frank/Ballard thread and all those comments can be moved there. Or you can start one and bitch all ya want. As long as it doesn't take over every thread. (Again. you know who I am talking to)

Am I happy with the 1st 3 weeks? Nope. I expected better. Can I show patience? Yep.

Give it a chance to play out. There are a lot of new pieces and some missing pieces right now. Lets let it play out.

I own the site and almost dread reading the drivel some of you are posting.

I don't expect anything But the constant doom and gloom is getting old. I wont stop any of you from that. Cause this is Freaks. Say what you want. I just might not read it.

I have hope for this team. And as a fan that's all you can have. Nothing is carved in stone and nothing is given to you Unless It's Chris Clarke's blunder then yea he handed us the win. We'll take it!!!

Have some hope. that builds excitement.

This is still a very good team with a chance.
apballin (09-26-2022), Butter (09-26-2022), Colts And Orioles (09-26-2022), dwilli57 (09-27-2022), JAFF (09-26-2022), njcoltfan (09-27-2022), Racehorse (09-26-2022), TheMugwump (09-29-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 07:50 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

Division is won in Oct and Nov Same as the conference. Get the kinks worked out in Sept then roll

Jags are better than we thought. They may challenge us for the division and one of us will be a wild card team.

We are 1/2 game out of 1st place in the division 1 1/2 games out of 1st in the conference.

A young O group will take a few games to get it together. They are learning and will get better.

Some of you are just ridiculous with your takes on this team. (YOU KNOW WHO I AM TALKING TO!!!!)

Frank is NOT getting fired Ballard is NOT getting fired. Deal with it and stop the nonsense!!!!

Otherwise we can start a Fire Frank/Ballard thread and all those comments can be moved there. Or you can start one and bitch all ya want. As long as it doesn't take over every thread. (Again. you know who I am talking to)

Am I happy with the 1st 3 weeks? Nope. I expected better. Can I show patience? Yep.

Give it a chance to play out. There are a lot of new pieces and some missing pieces right now. Lets let it play out.

I don't expect anything But the constant doom and gloom is getting old. I wont stop any of you from that. Cause this is Freaks. Say what you want. I just might not read it.

I have hope for this team. And as a fan that's all you can have. Nothing is carved in stone and nothing is given to you Unless It's Chris Clarke's blunder then yea he handed us the win. We'll take it!!!

Switch things up on the O-line. Institute many more quick hits vs all the drags and crosses that take forever to develop. Keep playing press D (they asked Gilmore the difference between this week's D and last, and he said "we played tight coverage". Simple shit.

Critical for the team mentality- Maniac needs to come back in a huge way this week, cause some chaos, wreck Henry and end their season right now. Then I will say we are something more than I think we are. Lose this one and all that grinding Sunday- and it was a fucking Grrrrrrinnnd, is all out the window.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Puck (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Switch things up on the O-line. Institute many more quick hits vs all the drags and crosses that take forever to develop. Keep playing press D (they asked Gilmore the difference between this week's D and last, and he said "we played tight coverage". Simple shit.

Critical for the team mentality- Maniac needs to come back in a huge way this week, cause some chaos, wreck Henry and end their season right now. Then I will say we are something more than I think we are. Lose this one and all that grinding Sunday- and it was a fucking Grrrrrrinnnd, is all out the window.
If Henry gets more than 100 I will be surprised. Maybe 110. I dont know. But I think he will be shut down (Ha at 100-110 is a shut down) Especially if Leonard is back
ChoppedWood (09-26-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 01:07 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Jags might not be a bad team. Trevor Lawrence was a generational QB pick and could still develop. Pederson is a much more competent coaching hire after the Urban Meyer debacle. Plus he knows Frank pretty well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 07:43 AM

If I am being honest, in some ways, I would have preferred a loss to KC.

We can say all we want that JAX may be better than anyone thought or that we were close to a win against HOU but we were also, most likely, one stupid Chris Jones penalty away from being 0-2-1.

There is a fundamental weakness to this team. Coaches...players...GM...heart...too nice....grit...I don't what it is but there is something that needs to change if we are ever going to be SB contenders.

The roster is talented enough to win some games. The coaching is bad enough to lose some games. The heart and soul of the team is...soft...enough to just lay down and get kicked on some games. There is a fundamental flaw to this team.

Alas, my guess is that we will stumble along again this season winning enough games to save everyone's job but being nowhere good enough to contend. I think we need a near complete rebuild from management to coaching to roster construction in order to build a contender and the KC wins neans, most likely, that it will be pushed down the road.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (09-27-2022), omahacolt (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post
If I am being honest, in some ways, I would have preferred a loss to KC.

We can say all we want that JAX may be better than anyone thought or that we were close to a win against HOU but we were also, most likely, one stupid Chris Jones penalty away from being 0-2-1.

There is a fundamental weakness to this team. Coaches...players...GM...heart...too nice....grit...I don't what it is but there is something that needs to change if we are ever going to be SB contenders.

The roster is talented enough to win some games. The coaching is bad enough to lose some games. The heart and soul of the team is...soft...enough to just lay down and get kicked on some games. There is a fundamental flaw to this team.

Alas, my guess is that we will stumble along again this season winning enough games to save everyone's job but being nowhere good enough to contend. I think we need a near complete rebuild from management to coaching to roster construction in order to build a contender and the KC wins neans, most likely, that it will be pushed down the road.
You hit the nail on the head on this one. Like usual, we will be just good enough for anyone to get fired and yet again have a mid-round pick in the first. We need to create the scenario of getting an early first round QB instead of letting it happen organically, as this is certainly not the Kerry Collins led Colts that were destined for a top 5 pick from the get-go.
I honestly don't think Ballard has the stones to move on from somebody like Leonard, Nelson or JT to reset the clock on a roster reconstruction. That is my concern. Maybe we won't need to do that (only if we can enjoy 5 years of a QB on a rookie deal), and order to do THAT, we need one in the first round. See where I am going with this? Something is going to have to happen to turn the tide and I am sick of re-treads. Our current roster can't afford any more 20 million + QB's as of now.
Target your guy and go after him at all costs this offseason Ballard. It is very likely that your job could very well depend on it anyway, and a rookie QB can afford you another 3 years at the helm if he even shows admirably in his first campaign.

Last edited by MeSayDayo; 09-27-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:03 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

Glad I'm not the only one who saw how good of a defensive performance the Colts got yesterday. Special teams certainly helped, but also KC may not have scored a TD had they not been gifted two very short fields from bad turnovers, one of which saw them nearly start in the red zone.