ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Keep Frank Reich, or Fire him ???
Keep Frank Reich as Head Coach 42 95.45%
Fire Frank Reich as Head Coach 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
DE's, yep, Ballard has crapped the bed. However, we do have an all-world DT, and All-universe LB, and an at least All-North America 1st team all star in the slot. So we have talent.

I don't know. Listening to Venturi, there's a lot more here than just not having the right guys at DE to make this work. Listening to him, this scheme is straight out of high school and any decent QB will just devour it- which seems to prove true. Again, year over year, the completion percentages are absolutely absurd. We create "historical" days for QB's all the time. That has to transcend the DE position. Bending but not breaking due to personnel / injuries, yeah I can see some of that. Allowing 75%+ completion percentages... nah there's more to it.
Did I miss the day that Venturi was inducted into the HOF as a coach ?? If I remember correctly, he was a TERRIBLE coach, sour grapes !!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (12-08-2021), Racehorse (12-04-2021), Spike (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 10:02 AM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I deleted my message because ONLY one wanted Frank Fired

Give it up Chopped. Aint happing nor should it

You don't agree with him. WE GET IT. but he is the coach. He's not getting fired. He's not resigning, he's not giving up play calling.

BUT!!!!!!!! Get in the playoffs and I give the Colts as much chance as anyone to make it to the SB. There is not one team we can't beat.

I want the Titans in the first round.

Chopped....... Is there any team we can't beat in the AFC playoffs?

Hate to (not really)see you eat your words when they advance.

Just sayin.
No, I don't think there's a single team we can't beat, a team we can't destroy even, AFC or NFC IMO. That's my whole issue! We shouldn't be a 6-6 team on playoff life support right now. There's too much potential here even with all the injuries.

If we lay an egg against Texans or if NE kicks our ass, keep this poll open and see what the results look like.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:19 AM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

The only ones who want Frank fired are the ones who don’t understand football.

This team is pretty darned good on offense and has a decent shot at making the playoffs, which is all anyone can ask. And that would be the 3rd time in 4 years, with 3 different quarterbacks.

Ballard has rightly opened himself up to criticism with the defensive end situation, but at some point you have to see what the young guys can do. Guys like Lewis and Turay need to play, not sit behind Justin Houston and Autry.

He gambled somewhat and it hasn’t worked out, but you can see his logic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-04-2021), Oldcolt (12-04-2021), Swing4DaFences (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 12:50 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Hoopsdoc I love your points about the defensive ends and the quarterback. Both will take a year or more to reach their potential. I would add that losing both Hilton (he isn't the same receiver he used to be) and Campbell have really hampered our passing attack. I have a fan's hope that Campbell can return in time to make a difference with his speed in the playoffs (assuming we make it).
Old 12-04-2021, 04:32 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,416 Posts

Here is what I need to see tomorrow. The best weapon on the Colts getting more than 8 touches in three quarters.

Go empty backfield and flex him out as a receiver. Screen pass, wheel routes, bunch formation with TY and Pittman.

Run the lonesome polecat, but find a way to get the best player the ball.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
No, I don't think there's a single team we can't beat, a team we can't destroy even, AFC or NFC IMO. That's my whole issue! We shouldn't be a 6-6 team on playoff life support right now. There's too much potential here even with all the injuries.

If we lay an egg against Texans or if NE kicks our ass, keep this poll open and see what the results look like.
Yes, we should have a better record but things haven't worked out for us as well as they could have so far. Sometimes that's prone to happening in a sport where teams only play 16 (now 17) games a season. A few unlucky breaks and your record can get distorted. But Reich isn't getting fired - he just signed a five year extension this last offseason!

I don't mean to suggest that Reich is infallible or perfect, or that the Colts are merely the victim of bad luck. Certainly mistakes have been made. But the offense is plenty good enough and the decision to pass 26 or 27 times (which is a bit unfair as 6 or 7 of those were run pass options which Wentz chose to pass on) was driven by circumstances and, absent turnovers, was working just fine. That's just a fact. And who's to say that the Colts wouldn't have fumbled the ball on the run plays that everyone thinks they should have called? It's easy to fantasize that everything would have been different had the Colts called more run plays, but that's just...a fantasy. Maybe those run plays would been stonewalled, in which case everyone would be complaining that Reich should have stayed with the pass because it was working so well to that point.

Anyway, Reich is always going to generate some friction because he takes a lot of chances, and when it doesn't work out it can look pretty bad (i.e., the first few games this season). Someone posted a stat on twitter a few days ago which measured each coach's relative 4th down success - not just their percentage success rate, but their rate of success relative to their EXPECTED chance of success in each circumstance (i.e. 4th and 10 had a much lower chance of success than 4th and 1). And Reich was the 3rd or 4th most successful in the league if I recall, so he's not a bad gambler even if we cringe sometimes at these decisions.

The Colts lost the TB game mainly because of uncharacteristic turnovers. The defense had its failures certainly, but the turnovers were the backbreakers as the Colts lost the opportunity to score more points while simultaneously giving TB more time to catch up. Yet the game was still close.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (12-05-2021), Racehorse (12-04-2021), Spike (12-05-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 05:37 PM

Keep him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swing4DaFences For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (01-08-2022), omahacolt (12-05-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 11:09 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

I don’t want to fire him. We could do worse looking around the league, we have had worse. I bet he would get scooped up fast. I am starting to question if this team has a killer instinct. We will see with the pats game. Pats usually play their best football after thanksgiving. If we fold against them or they beat us up, then I will say something is missing. If we hang or beat them, then I will see that as a sign we are in our SB window.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:26 AM

Thanked 4,300 Times in 1,759 Posts

reich is a good coach. i don't know what is out there that would be an upgrade
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-05-2021), Spike (12-07-2021), YDFL Commish (12-05-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1...358049803?s=20

Quote:
Zak Keefer
@zkeefer
Colts' Darius Leonard on his team's inability to close out tight games (so far, they're 1-4 in one-score games):

"There is absolutely no way you win a ballgame with 5 turnovers and 2 PIs. No schemes (we need to change). We need to avoid turning the ball over and penalties."
12:19 PM · Dec 2, 2021·Twitter Web App