ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-30-2019, 01:45 PM

Thanked 4,426 Times in 2,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
You may be 100% correct about those stats. I'm an old school type of guy and never liked that Luck was such a good loser. Being happy with a guy and patting him on his ass for beating your lineman and sacking your ass just never sat well with me. I may be showing just how out of touch I am and football has left me behind.
We have no idea how he was in private. It may have eaten him up. What we do know is that when we were behind in a game, he killed himself to try to get the lead back, and did it in the playoffs. Remember the KC game where we were behind big, but we won on his late heroics?
Oldcolt (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:52 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
We have no idea how he was in private. It may have eaten him up. What we do know is that when we were behind in a game, he killed himself to try to get the lead back, and did it in the playoffs. Remember the KC game where we were behind big, but we won on his late heroics?
And it's just not a statistically significant difference when we're talking about 8 playoff games vs 86 career regular season games. The margin of error would be like 30%, and that's without controlling for other factors like home/away and quality of opponent.

Not only that, but going back to my previous point, 25% of his postseason games were against New England on the road. You would automatically expect his postseason rating to be lower than his average career rating based on that alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (08-30-2019), Racehorse (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Sorry, but I just can’t see this happening. Ballard’s built up a pretty good reputation during his short tenure in Indy, and if he signs an unproven Brissett to a contract paying him a guaranteed $35M next year I think people would start thinking he’s a lunatic. If Brissett surprises everyone and becomes a Pro Bowl QB next year, Ballard would be vindicated, but short of that he’d most likely end up looking like a fool.

I know its appealing to lock up a young player at a bargain price before he blossoms, but I think you need to be very judicious about which players you do this with. Paying Brissett that kind of money would essentially force us to commit to him as our most important player for the next two years, and I personally don’t see the track record to justify that and so, to me, it would just be reckless.
Over the next 2 years he is going to be the most important player, if not, who?
Old 08-30-2019, 02:32 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Maybe. But in one of the articles explaining why he can walk away one of the reporters (I think it was Holder) mentioned seeing him smiling and having fun after a loss and the conversation he had led let him know that Luck though of this as just a game. Do not misunderstand me please, I think this is the mature healthy attitude to have-the attitude I would hope my son would have. I am hypocritical enough that I don't particularly want that attitude in my qb. Having run my mouth I will say that I think the argument that he would have lit up the post season just like he has the regular season given enough chances is something I 100% bought into before his retirement. I readily admit to having sour grapes over the entire episode. He truly was the physically most talented qb I've ever rooted for. I'll miss the bastard.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
Over the next 2 years he is going to be the most important player, if not, who?
He won't be our most important player if he flames out halfway through this season, and we need the flexibility to move on to someone else if he doesn't work out as we hope. If we guaranteed him $50 million today, it would be very hard to change horses before 2021. QB is too important of a position to take wild gambles on. That's all I'm saying.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
He won't be our most important player if he flames out halfway through this season, and we need the flexibility to move on to someone else if he doesn't work out as we hope. If we guaranteed him $50 million today, it would be very hard to change horses before 2021. QB is too important of a position to take wild gambles on. That's all I'm saying.
What do you need the flexibility for? You aren't going to find a free agent worth the money. You'd be drafting his replacement anyway.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
What do you need the flexibility for? You aren't going to find a free agent worth the money. You'd be drafting his replacement anyway.
We can't keep sending Brissett out there if he's not getting the job done. It will ruin a team which, with even an average QB, should still be a contender. Yet, if we paid him the big bucks you are advocating, it would be very, very difficult to make a change because the existing regime would need to justify their decision or be branded incompetent. I just don't think Brissett has enough of a track record to merit the kind of money you are suggesting he should be paid, and to me it could disastrous to do something like that.

As far as a different QB, it's true we probably can't get a Pro Bowl QB outside of the draft, but we could get a competent one with a solid track record. And I disagree that they wouldn't be worth the money. Nearly every competent QB is underpaid, when you consider the outsized influence the QB position has on the outcome of games.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
We can't keep sending Brissett out there if he's not getting the job done. It will ruin a team which, with even an average QB, should still be a contender. Yet, if we paid him the big bucks you are advocating, it would be very, very difficult to make a change because the existing regime would need to justify their decision or be branded incompetent. I just don't think Brissett has enough of a track record to merit the kind of money you are suggesting he should be paid, and to me it could disastrous to do something like that.

As far as a different QB, it's true we probably can't get a Pro Bowl QB outside of the draft, but we could get a competent one with a solid track record. And I disagree that they wouldn't be worth the money. Nearly every competent QB is underpaid, when you consider the outsized influence the QB position has on the outcome of games.
No you aren’t. You’re getting Joe Flacco or Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:27 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
No you aren’t. You’re getting Joe Flacco or Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Every once in a while you get a shot at a Drew Brees
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Every once in a while you get a shot at a Drew Brees
For every Drew Brees, there are 10 Mile Glennon’s.