ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-31-2021, 10:28 AM

Thanked 1,672 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Teven Jenkins is a mauler who has some tape that's so dominant it's funny at times. The game against Ossai is a great example of that. He just had some reps where he drove him off the screen and into the ground. The two concerns I have with him are that he's a RT for sure IMO, necessitating Smith or Nelson to move to LT, and I think he missed quite a bit of time last year with an injury ge suffered in the Oklahoma game. Maybe I'm wrong and he can handle LT (I've actually had that thought watching his tape at times), but between the position and injury uncertainty, he scares me quite a bit despite absolutely dominant film, quite possibly the most dominant film in this class of any OT not named Rashawn Slater (because when you make Chase Young a non-factor in a game, you win the dominant film contest).
I posted it in the Draft thread, but Brett Kollman just made a video hyping up Jenkins. The idea of putting him next to Nelson and having 2 technically sound mauling/pancaking players on the left side of the line, oh man...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
apballin (03-31-2021), Chromeburn (03-31-2021), Racehorse (03-31-2021), rcubed (03-31-2021), TheMugwump (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 12:51 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Very good list, but you have Sewell at 10 and Vera-Tucker at 7 in your order of preference? I know we most likely won't get Sewell or Vera-Tucker.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, here is my order of preference.

1. Sewell
2. Vera-Tucker
3. Slater
4. Darisaw
5. Leatherwood
6. Eichenberg
7. Jenkins
8. Cosmi
9. Mayfield
10. Carman
11. Radunz
You're right, I'd forgotten Leatherwood, I'd take him over Sewell as well. I don't like Sewell, his technique is shit and he's a waist bender who gets beat way too often. There's a reason he's sliding, and it's his film. He's got a TON of potential, but there's so much technique he needs to learn. He is in no way NFL ready, and that's what the Colts need. My comp for him is Nate Solder and that's because of how unpolished he is. I'd rather have just about any of them over Sewell.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:56 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I posted it in the Draft thread, but Brett Kollman just made a video hyping up Jenkins. The idea of putting him next to Nelson and having 2 technically sound mauling/pancaking players on the left side of the line, oh man...
Brett loves Teven Jenkins, so does the guy he does his podcast with. They were actually where I found out about Jenkins, on their podcast. Highly recommended listen if you like football and the draft.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:39 PM

Thanked 1,570 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
You're right, I'd forgotten Leatherwood, I'd take him over Sewell as well. I don't like Sewell, his technique is shit and he's a waist bender who gets beat way too often. There's a reason he's sliding, and it's his film. He's got a TON of potential, but there's so much technique he needs to learn. He is in no way NFL ready, and that's what the Colts need. My comp for him is Nate Solder and that's because of how unpolished he is. I'd rather have just about any of them over Sewell.
Wow! If you are right about Sewell, you need to apply to an NFL front office as a scout, because most of those who are paid to do the job would disagree with you.

And not saying you're wrong here, because I don't know enough about OL technique and breaking down every nuance to think I know better. But when I watch Sewell's tape, he just explodes off the line and destroys guys. He also gets to the second level really well.

We'll see though. It will be an upset if he's not the first OT off the board, and unless Ballard has something up his sleeve, we won't have to worry about him in the Horseshoe.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:16 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post
Wow! If you are right about Sewell, you need to apply to an NFL front office as a scout, because most of those who are paid to do the job would disagree with you.

And not saying you're wrong here, because I don't know enough about OL technique and breaking down every nuance to think I know better. But when I watch Sewell's tape, he just explodes off the line and destroys guys. He also gets to the second level really well.

We'll see though. It will be an upset if he's not the first OT off the board, and unless Ballard has something up his sleeve, we won't have to worry about him in the Horseshoe.
What tape did you watch? I watched 3 games from 2019 (from what I can tell he sat out 2020). The biggest thing that stood out to me was that he struggled against Bradlee Anae quite a bit, lost a lot of the reps against him. He also lunged at opposing pass rushers quite a bit, mostly by bending at the waist, all of which caused him to get off balance and made it easy for a technically sound pass rusher to beat him. To me he's basically a big body that needs a lot of coaching, much like Nate Solder was. It worked out for Solder, but to me the bust factor is huge.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:36 PM

Thanked 4,431 Times in 2,540 Posts

I have to wonder if there seems to be so many good LTs this year because all of the good pass rushers went last year, making it a mirage.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:02 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I have to wonder if there seems to be so many good LTs this year because all of the good pass rushers went last year, making it a mirage.
Technique is technique. You can see if someone can kick slide, mirror, what their reaction to speed is, what their reaction to power is, how they recover when beat initially, how well they anchor, how well they recognize blitzes and pick them up, etc. Good or not, speed is still a problem for less athletic OTs. Vera-Tucker is an example of that. His kick slide looks belabored, and a pure speed rusher wins reps against him frequently, see the Oregon game. I don't know who #5 is on Oregon, but he's fast, and he gave Vera-Tucker fits.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:19 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Being reported we are signing Chris Reed OG last played on Panthers to a one year contract. Offensive line depth is becoming a strength. Not sexy but nice team depth building going on here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Spike (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 10:23 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 814 Posts

I think I read that ballard saw his OL depth as a fail last year and doesnt want that to happen again.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:55 AM

Thanked 1,570 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
What tape did you watch? I watched 3 games from 2019 (from what I can tell he sat out 2020). The biggest thing that stood out to me was that he struggled against Bradlee Anae quite a bit, lost a lot of the reps against him. He also lunged at opposing pass rushers quite a bit, mostly by bending at the waist, all of which caused him to get off balance and made it easy for a technically sound pass rusher to beat him. To me he's basically a big body that needs a lot of coaching, much like Nate Solder was. It worked out for Solder, but to me the bust factor is huge.
If you can find tape of it, look at Arizona State from 2019.

And remember, he's only 21, and the kid won the Outland Trophy at age 19! He only played two years of college ball, so yeah, he has some rough edges, but with NFL coaching, he's going to improve that technique.

Again, if you're right, then huge props. I am not betting on him to fail though.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMugwump For This Useful Post:
Spike (04-01-2021)