ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-06-2017, 07:47 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
You must have hated Dungy.
Dungy was an adequate HC who assembled a very solid staff and had the benefit of the best QB ever who was an Ironman for him as well as one of the best GMs for many years.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
Accountability comes from the top down. From Pagano, all you get when you fuck up is a few claps, a pat on the ass and a few "um, you know" words of encouragement. If Bray runs a kickoff out of the end zone from a few yards deep, he should get his ass reamed out, unless that's what you're coaching him to do. Anything less is basically saying, "um, you know" you gave it a shot. Better luck next time. Pagano should be ripping the Asst. Coaches when their charges fuck up and they in turn should be ripping the players. Mental errors can happen, but repeated mental errors are a coaching problem.

Quote:
You must have hated Dungy.
I felt and still do that Dungy was overrated. He had a good football mind, creating a defense that was very effective for a period of time. I don't believe he was a coach with the ability to make game time adjustments. Players loved him and most would give their all for him, but come playoff time, so did all players from all teams. It was Peyton Manning that put Dungy over the top.

Bottom line, I was not a big fan of Dungy AS A COACH. My idea of a quality HC is not a cheerleader, but a coach who gets the most from his players by demanding it. A "nobody is more important than the team" type of coach. Respect isn't given, it's earned.

Last edited by albany ed; 10-07-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Dungy was an adequate HC who assembled a very solid staff and had the benefit of the best QB ever who was an Ironman for him as well as one of the best GMs for many years.
Quote:
Quote:
Accountability comes from the top down. From Pagano, all you get when you fuck up is a few claps, a pat on the ass and a few "um, you know" words of encouragement. If Bray runs a kickoff out of the end zone from a few yards deep, he should get his ass reamed out, unless that's what you're coaching him to do. Anything less is basically saying, "um, you know" you gave it a shot. Better luck next time. Pagano should be ripping the Asst. Coaches when their charges fuck up and they in turn should be ripping the players. Mental errors can happen, but repeated mental errors are a coaching problem.

I felt and still do that Dungy was over-rated. He had a good football mind, creating a defense that was very effective for a period of time. I don't believe he was a coach with the ability to make game time adjustments. Players loved him and most would give their all for him, but come playoff time, so did all players from all teams. It was Peyton Manning that put Dungy over the top.

Bottom line, I was not a big fan of Dungy AS A COACH. My idea of a quality HC is not a cheerleader, but a coach who gets the most from his players by demanding it. A "nobody is more important than the team" type of coach. Respect isn't given, it's earned.
These posts illustrate extremely well the ridiculous standard for head coaching around here. You're both talking about a Hall of Fame head coach who averaged nearly 11 wins per season as if he was adequate, bordering on inadequate. No one here seems to understand that the next head coach could be Gus Bradley, Mike Nolan, Romeo Crennel, Jim Schwartz, Dom Capers, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike McCoy, Chan Gailey, Dick Jauron, Chip Kelly, Norv Turner, etc.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:38 PM

Thanked 4,422 Times in 2,536 Posts

Can't be worse than what we have now
Old 10-07-2017, 05:10 PM

Thanked 4,300 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
These posts illustrate extremely well the ridiculous standard for head coaching around here. You're both talking about a Hall of Fame head coach who averaged nearly 11 wins per season as if he was adequate, bordering on inadequate. No one here seems to understand that the next head coach could be Gus Bradley, Mike Nolan, Romeo Crennel, Jim Schwartz, Dom Capers, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike McCoy, Chan Gailey, Dick Jauron, Chip Kelly, Norv Turner, etc.
You have no standards for the hc. In your mind they aren't needed and do absolutely nothing
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
You said I must have hated him. I didn't, and I'm grateful that under him the Colts finally won a Lombardi. I said he had a good football mind, but was not strong on game time adjustments. I want the Colts to succeed, and if that's a ridiculous standard to hold for a Head Coach and the players, then, I'm guilty. You may be satisfied with a good regular season and a losing record in the playoffs, but I'm not. And I'm certainly not satisfied with a team that makes the same mental mistakes game after game. Give me a smart QB, a mean defense, and a coach that won't accept stupidity, and certainly won't accept repeated stupidity.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:38 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Can't be worse than what we have now
If you don't think Gus Bradley would be worse, there's no hope for you to be rational.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
You have no standards for the hc. In your mind they aren't needed and do absolutely nothing
I have realistic standards. I don't expect the coach to go out on the field and execute for the players like most of you here do. I also don't expect him to be a raving lunatic demanding perfection on every play from the sidelines, because that's how you get the Josh McDaniels led Denver Broncos.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:07 PM

Thanked 4,422 Times in 2,536 Posts

Quote:
If you don't think Gus Bradley would be worse, there's no hope for you to be rational.
The difference between the two is Andrew Luck played for one and not the other.
omahacolt (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I have realistic standards. I don't expect the coach to go out on the field and execute for the players like most of you here do. I also don't expect him to be a raving lunatic demanding perfection on every play from the sidelines, because that's how you get the Josh McDaniels led Denver Broncos.
I don't think anyone is looking for a raving lunatic. The game is played by humans and humans make mistakes, but coaches like BB, work hard in practice to limit those mistakes. To me, if a team continues to make mental errors, game after game, it's a lack of solid coaching. You seem to limit coaching style to either cheerleader or raving lunatic.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to albany ed For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (10-07-2017), FatDT (10-08-2017), IndyNorm (10-08-2017), Racehorse (10-07-2017)