ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-18-2022, 08:54 PM

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,489 Posts

They don't need a complete rebuild. They have good pieces.

Unfortunately they need upgrades at really critical positions. Still, a better QB and LT (yeah, I know, might as well wish for an unlimited supply of coke and hookers) and this team could turn around real quick.
Racehorse (12-19-2022), Spike (12-20-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 06:29 AM

In my opinion, we are far from needing a complete rebuild.

I think a top quality coach, could have done wonders with the current roster.

Every team has weaknesses, and a good coach would make sure that we try to cover up our own problems as much as possible. Has Matt Ryan played great, of course he hasn't. Is he serviceable as an NFL QB, i think that is still a definite yes. But not if you have the Oline that we have had this year with pass protection. You have to realise, that he is a statue, and you might need to simplify the offense and have a quick short timing based offensive scheme, so that the ball is out of his hands quickly, much like Brady has had most of his career. I don't want to be limited in this way next year, so i do agree we need a new QB, and interior OL upgrades.

The defense has generally been really good throughout the year. Happy enough with the overall performances, they have been really hindered, by the offenses ineptitude for most of the season. Even the Minny game, was in my opinion, mainly down to the offense, and not the defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 07:29 AM

Players i am happy to retain for 2023
QB - Ehlinger
RB - Taylor, Jackson, Moss
TE - Alie-Cox, Granson, Woods, Ogletree
WR - Pittman, Campbell, Pierce, Dulin, Strahan
T - Smith, Raimann, O'Donnell
G - Nelson, Fries
C - Kelly, Pinter

So that's a total of 20 guys. With me wanting a new starting QB, starting RG, swing tackle, mid round RB.

DE - Paye, Ngakoue, Odeyingbo, Lewis
DT - Buckner, Stewart, Cowart, Johnson, Brooks
LB - Leonard, Okereke, Franklin, Speed, Domann
CB - Gilmore, Rodgers, Moore, Flowers
S - Blackmon, Thomas, McCleod, Cross

A total of 22 guys, with the entirety of our starters coming back. I would like another pass rusher and a corner.

McLaughlin, Sanchez, Rhodes

That's 3 guys returning, hopefully with no issues for Rigoberto. Chase has at least for now proven he deserves another chance next year.

All in all, i have a total of 45 guys returning, who i wouldn't be unhappy if they made the opening day roster for 2023.

I have said i want upgrades at 6 positions, which in my mind is a possibility.
In the draft
1 - QB
2 - RG
3 - T
3- DE
4 - RB
5- CB

Double up on the offensive line, by picking up a free agent G and T. And then we need to find an upgrade to replace our depth at CB in free agency as well.

We need to seriously upgrade at QB, and on the offensive line. Do that and i think we have enough talent at RB, WR and TE, to make a major leap and be competitive. It might take another year, for the rookie QB to settle in and then maybe in 2024, we can think about adding a stud WR to the mix. But i actually quite like Pittman, Campbell and Pierce. Think if we have enough time to have a well rounded passing game, that they are all in a position to flourish, with deeper routes. I think we also need to be using the TE's a LOT more than we have. I would like to see the targets to TE's increase by 50 or even 100%. As a team we have only had a total of 66 receptions for 726 yards, with 5 TD's. With the offensive struggles we have had, you would have thought we would have tried to utilise the TE's way more in the short to intermediate passing game. The RB's have had 84 receptions for a meagre 490 yards.
CletusPyle (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Did you see the way the Cheats lost today? It was hilarious!
I loved it, and there were a couple of other teams that did mini Colts collapses. Brady's bucs and the cowboys
Racehorse (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 08:58 AM

If I am being honest...we will have to make a number of key acquisitions prior to the draft if we are going to even come close to retaining any of our own free agents let alone attracting any decent ones to Indy after this Dumpster fire.
Start with the coach- get that one right and we may be able to move forward maintaining our talent- otherwise nobody will come here unless we vastly overpay which, as we know, Ballard simply will not do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeSayDayo For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (12-19-2022), Oldcolt (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 01:56 PM

Thanked 4,300 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
I'm done watching this year. I'll play Soda's picks but I'm done. Better things to do. Colts suck
thats dumb
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-20-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 01:58 PM

Thanked 4,300 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
We don't need a complete rebuild.

Ryan, Kelly and Moore have to go. I'm leaning toward MOC as well. He's slow his blocking has declined and when he's in the game the opponent loads the box in most cases.

Draft 2 QB's. One in the 1st rd and another in a later rd. Maybe O'Connell, Rattler, Nix or McKee.

Draft an OL early and snatch a quality OL in free agency.

Find a true difference maker at WR.

Frankly I want all the starters back on defense. Bradley as well. I'm not depending on Cross making the jump until he makes the jump.
do we pay ngakoue? i sure as fuck wouldn't

good post though
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post

good post though
Depends on what he wants. If he is sick of playing for a new team every year and is willing to take 5-7 million per year then sure?

Doubt it. He could get 10 per year from a better team (one that has a coach for example), in a warmer city, with the potential to pay less taxes.

I am certain that every single one of our upcoming FA's run, and run fast. It sucks. Like I said, overplay or don't play this year as it pertains to free agency.

Only the immediate hiring of Jim Harbaugh or Sean Payton will change that.

Having said that, we may be active post draft if we bring in a nice prospect at QB.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:51 PM

Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post

good post though
I'm kind of meh on Ngakoue.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:29 AM

I agree, he hasn't exactly set the world alight, but he hasn't been terrible either. Happy to sign him for another year, if the money is right. I don't think i would want to sign him to a multi year deal on big money though. Can only see that ending up being a bad contract in future years.

I also think we have something with Paye and Dayodingbo, worth developing, and giving full playing time to both.

I think Banogu has finally proven he doesn't fit any scheme with the Colts, and don't see any way he will be back.
Racehorse (12-20-2022)