ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-27-2018, 11:04 AM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcase448 View Post
With Kelly and Nelson there might actually be a pocket for Luck to step up into when needed.
And when we need that 6" for the first down we've never been able to get consistently..
I'd rather have seen Chubb but this is a good pick
Totally agree. Wanted Chubb 1st, but Nelson was my 2nd choice. Not fucking disappointed at all.
Pez (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
https://twitter.com/DakotaCrawford_/...89641929338880

Just look at this gif. The recognition, mobility, and physicality are unreal. A perfect example of why thinking Nelson doesn't improve the other spots on the line is flatly incorrect.
Nelson loves to hit people. Can't find the one gif where Nelson actually body slams one defender, reminded me of the WWE. Fucker is a beast.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:22 AM

Maybe someone can help me out and explain why it makes perfect sense to “overpay” in the draft for a guard at #6 but it’s not OK to overpay for a known commodity at guard in free agency. It’s a serious question because last night I was told I was to stupid to respond to because I value a high draft pick more than cap space on a team lacking talent but with loads of cap space. With the current lack of talent on the team I don’t see players being cap casualties anytime soon because you over paid for a top young guard in free agency (Norwell or Pugh), but I see the selection of Nelson immediately costing the team a defensive anchor. Seriously - what the hell am I missing?
Old 04-27-2018, 11:29 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Maybe someone can help me out and explain why it makes perfect sense to “overpay” in the draft for a guard at #6 but it’s not OK to overpay for a known commodity at guard in free agency. It’s a serious question because last night I was told I was to stupid to respond to because I value a high draft pick more than cap space on a team lacking talent but with loads of cap space. With the current lack of talent on the team I don’t see players being cap casualties anytime soon because you over paid for a top young guard in free agency (Norwell or Pugh), but I see the selection of Nelson immediately costing the team a defensive anchor. Seriously - what the hell am I missing?
I completely get where you're coming from, but you're looking too micro here. You're evaluating this from a 2018 perspective, but Ballard isn't.

Ballard has a three year strategy of building through the draft. He has said that he wants to draft the foundation of this roster before supplementing through free agency. It isn't necessarily right or wrong, but it's his strategy and we can't just do a simple evaluation of transactions and how they affect the 2018 team. For example, he could come out in 2020 UFA and sign a stud 27 year-old free agent because of the decisions made in 2018. Spending that cap space now would make the Colts better. Spending that cap space in 2020 could make the difference in elevating the Colts from a contender to a championship.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 04-27-2018 at 11:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-29-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:30 AM

Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote:
Nothing

Your point is valid
Old 04-27-2018, 11:40 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
We didn't "overpay" for Nelson. He was an elite prospect in this draft and would have been chosen within a couple of picks of where he went. That's not overpaying.

It would have been nice to get Norwell, but we don't even know what chance the Colts had in getting him. He may have not wanted to come to the Colts. It certainly would have free'd up a need, but we didn't get him. Since we didn't, it was addressed in the draft, with a guy who is an absolute beast. We got a great player, stop being a pansy and complaining.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
Spike (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:41 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,609 Times in 935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Go watch tape of this guy and you may change your mind.
I did. It didn't. No. Guard. Is. Worth. The. 6th. Overall. Pick. In. Any. Draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Every analyst gave the Colts an A grade for this selection and I agree with them.
I'd rather go back to the Polian days of getting C or C+ draft grades from analysts and winning the division year in and year out.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Spending that cap space now would make the Colts better. Spending that cap space in 2020 could make the difference in elevating the Colts from a contender to a championship.
Assuming there are difference makers to spend it on, right? I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that in 2020 Nelson and Norwell (or hell, even Pugh) will be closer in total game impact than Smith (especially) or Edmunds will be to the best free agent LB available that year. Look at the three names you compared Smith to previously and tell me how likely they are to hit free agency in their prime at 26 or 27 yrs old.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:45 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I'd rather go back to the Polian days of getting C or C+ draft grades from analysts and winning the division year in and year out.
You mean the years when we had a good offensive line who protected the QB? Me too. Can't win the division with your franchise QB injured every year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-29-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:52 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,615 Times in 2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I get what you are saying and I don't necessarily disagree. The anti-Nelsons on this board have made some good arguments why the pick was bit of a reach. However, I don't think that he was a reach in the traditional sense that no one else would have selected him this high, as I suspect he would have been chosen no later than 8 had the Colts taken someone else.

As to your argument that the opposing team could neutralize his effect by focusing on other areas of the line, wouldn't that thinking apply equally to an OT selected this high? I only ask because it is fairly commonplace for OTs to be taken in the top 5 or 6 picks, and I've never heard anyone use your argument to say that's a mistake. So is your criticism more about selecting an offensive lineman rather than a defensive player? I realize that OTs generally have to deal with better athletes at DE and OLB, but there are lots of tough DTs around too and Nelson should provide an immediate upgrade to our anemic run game.

While I would have been more excited about selecting Chubb, I personally like that we are adding someone who is expected to start and play at a high level from day 1, as I think (barring further Luck problems) that we will compete in 2018.
The difference is tackles usually face the teams best pass rusher who the majority of the time comes from the outside bc he doesn't want to get caught in the trash in the middle. The flip side of that is the rise of 3 tech tackles like Aaron Donald who specialize in taking away the interior of the pocket and not allowing the QB to step up. I think one of the strengths of this draft is the interior oline which is why so many went in the first. But also oline play has deteriorated around the league. Teams are desperate for players to protect their investments (QB's) which has driven the need up. This has lead to shorter passing games and spread concepts. The NFL training camp reports around the league last year were the same every week, teams are desperate for good oline play and especially good tackle play.

Ten years ago, or even 20 I wonder if Nelson would have been taken this high.

We still have a lot of draft left, but I guess next year I can hope for that defensive stud.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Spike (04-27-2018)