ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-08-2024, 03:07 AM

Thanked 1,670 Times in 798 Posts

If there is a top-end WR you can realistically get, get him. But if not, I don't sweat our WR room. Our 1,2,3 will almost certainly be intact. I'll eat my own face if we don't re-sign Pittman. These guys will all have more opportunity with AR's arm talent and overall impact.

With Pass-Rusher... over the years I've just become reserved to the fact that there just aren't many of them. I'm talking about the guys that OC's have to gameplan directly against. It's like winning a scratch-off. Most of the time they're gone with premium picks (and most of the time even those picks don't pan out). And if any do happen to make it to free-agency... why? They're either low character, injured, or unrealistically expensive.

Aside from that, seems to me that the best shot might be to have an underrated kid fall slightly in the draft. And not even like a TJ Watt falling to #30 overall. But like JJ Watt or Demarcus Ware or Dwight Freeney... all three of these guys were taken at #11 overall instead of top-3 or top-5 like they probably should've been with hindsight.

So do you use your top pick on a scratch off? Or do you roll with your DL that isn't spectacular, but is solid/deep... and use that pick elsewhere? I don't know.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:45 AM

Thanked 4,425 Times in 2,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
If there is a top-end WR you can realistically get, get him. But if not, I don't sweat our WR room. Our 1,2,3 will almost certainly be intact. I'll eat my own face if we don't re-sign Pittman. These guys will all have more opportunity with AR's arm talent and overall impact.

With Pass-Rusher... over the years I've just become reserved to the fact that there just aren't many of them. I'm talking about the guys that OC's have to gameplan directly against. It's like winning a scratch-off. Most of the time they're gone with premium picks (and most of the time even those picks don't pan out). And if any do happen to make it to free-agency... why? They're either low character, injured, or unrealistically expensive.

Aside from that, seems to me that the best shot might be to have an underrated kid fall slightly in the draft. And not even like a TJ Watt falling to #30 overall. But like JJ Watt or Demarcus Ware or Dwight Freeney... all three of these guys were taken at #11 overall instead of top-3 or top-5 like they probably should've been with hindsight.

So do you use your top pick on a scratch off? Or do you roll with your DL that isn't spectacular, but is solid/deep... and use that pick elsewhere? I don't know.
I would like to see us add a CB to our mix. Anything to get Baker off the field. That could be the first or second round. That said, BPA in round 1, at position of need.
Indystu2 (02-04-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:47 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post

Look at the sack leaderboard list. Aside from seeing why Justin Madubuike is about to get PAID, you'll see that many of those players were drafted much later than the top 15. Lots are actually late 3rd/early 4th round picks, oddly enough. Maybe it would be better to pay Danielle Hunter and draft Malik Nabers, if he's available, that is.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:42 PM

Thanked 1,670 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Look at the sack leaderboard list. Aside from seeing why Justin Madubuike is about to get PAID, you'll see that many of those players were drafted much later than the top 15. Lots are actually late 3rd/early 4th round picks, oddly enough. Maybe it would be better to pay Danielle Hunter and draft Malik Nabers, if he's available, that is.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. Although, the thing for me is... well a couple of things...

For one, as I've said a bunch of times on these boards: I think sacks can be among the most misleading stats in football. Not that I think they're useless. I just think they require a lot of context.

Especially if we're looking at a single given year. We see guys all the time have an outlier year and then return to their own status quo. If I looked at the leaderboard last year, I'd see 3rd-rounder Alex Highsmith with 14.5 sacks. He came back to Earth this year and now 3/4 of his seasons of 2, 6, and 7 sacks.

But, anyway, to your point... Guys like Hendrickson and Crosby are 3rd/4th-rounders that are yearly problems from OC's. Those are the guys that worry you, just like the scary 1st-rounders. Even Chris Jones was a 2nd-rounder. So they can be found. But the odds are low even for 1st-rounders, so it's only less likely you find the next Hendrickson. But shit, even Hendrickson didn't blow up until year-4.

Just for shits... a quick count from the top 23 sack guys (the double digit guys)... I think I counted 14 1st-rounders, with 11 of those being top-15 (maybe top-13, can't remember) guys. Like two 2nd's, five 3rd/4th's, a 7th and an undrafted. For whatever that's worth.

When I look into it, I usually end up in the same place... these fuckers are hard to find.