ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-14-2022, 12:00 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Excellent point rm1369. I misunderstood and agree with you on this completely.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I believe in his idea of investment in the lines - that’s not the issue. The issue is his constant focus on the future. The modern NFL, in my opinion, is about maximizing 2-3 years windows. Not being pretty good for 10-12. I find your complaint about the past ironic because that’s exactly what I compare Ballard’s methods too - Bill Polian. And I’ll add Ted Thompson. Teams that have had the most important part (QB) in place and under achieved.

The methods are slightly different but the goals are the same - long term consistency. Long term very goodness. When you are overly concerned about 4 years from now you don’t maximize this year. But you are competing with teams who do. You go in to every season then at a disadvantage for the ultimate goal. Irsay is not going to get his goal of multiple championships in the next decade without taking risks. He didn’t get it with Peyton freaking Manning. He’s sure as hell not going to get it playing it safe every year with Carson Wentz, Jascoby Brisett, or Philip Rivers’ cadaver. Ballard is going to give really good talented teams that always fall short.
What would have you done at QB?
Luck4Reich (01-14-2022), Racehorse (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 01:48 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Oh you know... Pluck one from that big ass Quarterback tree all the other teams are getting their Elite QBs from

Seriously not many teams have good to great QBs... Rarely do teams like the Colts get them back to back.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Puck (01-14-2022), Racehorse (01-14-2022), Spike (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 01:53 PM

In hindsight maybe we should have gone all in on Stafford.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:57 PM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

I said it elsewhere and I’ll say it here-literally nothing else matters but solving the quarterback position. If it takes trading Q and Darius to get it done, that’s what has to be done.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:13 PM

Thanked 1,670 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I believe in his plan. We tried it the 'modern' way with great QBs and not putting resources into the lines. We had a good run but got one championship in 20 or so years with Manning/Luck.
I don't know. Maybe I'm the weird one, but...

Let's look at 1999-2015 (from Manning to Luck falling apart). I much prefer that I was a Colts fan as opposed to a Giants fan. We went to two Super Bowls and won one. They went to three Super Bowls and won two.

But... the Giants also missed the playoffs 10 seasons in that span. Seven losing seasons, two more 8-8 seasons. Reached double-digit wins 6 times. That's a lot of time wallowing in irrelevancy. We've had 4 of those seasons since 2015 (arguably 5) and they're awful seasons to sit through.

In contrast, I had a blast watching the Colts basically every season during that span aside from 2001 when both Edge's knee and Mora's brain blew out and then in 2011 when Manning's head got too heavy. Aside from those seasons, the Colts we're among the elite teams year in and year out.

Again, maybe I'm the weird one.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Let me be clear - my point isn’t to criticize what Ballard has done at QB. Lucks retirement screwed him. My point is only that in my view, his method has shown that, even with a dominant QB, not risking the long term for a better short term peak hasn’t been extremely successful. So how is it going to work on a team that likely won’t have that level of QB? It won’t, IMO.

To answer the question though, my position has been that they identify who their guy is and go get him. No BS half measures of mediocre guys while they look. Pay the price for who you want. Two off-seasons ago I suggested trading one or both of their seconds for future firsts to help build ammo for a trade up last draft. That means either no Pittman, no Taylor, or both. Steep price, no doubt. This off-season I said I’d have traded for Darnold - cheaper and less injury prone. Almost certainly a bust here as well though.

I won’t pretend I have a sure fire answer, although in hindsight I like either of my two solutions better than theirs. But again, I’m not criticizing Ballard for Wentz being QB. They did what I suggested - went and got their guy. I’m criticizing him for the rest of the roster building. The one that had a pass rush with no one with double digit sacks for their career. The one that is leaving a huge hole at LT even though we’ve seen the issue coming for several years. The one where it feels like year 10 of being under manned at WR. Those are moves that are indicative of his building style. Place holders until he can draft a permanent guy two years from now. Where free agency is only used to pick through left overs or sign a “no risk” one year vet.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:56 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discflinger View Post
In hindsight maybe we should have gone all in on Stafford.
In hindsight the cap money may not have worked out.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:30 PM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

I think the Colts best option is to build a team that mirrors the 2012 Ravens, strong defense, strong running back, serviceable QB...Flacco was smart, didn't usually beat himself, but he was not elite in my opinion. The Colts are closer to that model than trying to build from the QB down. Colts need a Flacco type and add a stud or two on defense, and they can win it all!
Old 01-14-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
In hindsight the cap money may not have worked out.
Without a doubt they could make the cap work if they wanted to. There is a lot of flexibility in the cap. They just would have paid for it in later years. A trade off Ballard won’t make. I’m not judging if it would have been worth it or not. I’m just saying it was a choice they made.