ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Simon is a SAM LB. Sheard is a pass rush and for the most part so is Mingo. And Ayres They replaced Walden and Mathis. If an old Walden can generate 12 sacks or what ever it was on this bad defense just think of what a younger, faster, stronger Sheard can do. Simon is going to be very very good. And I think that Spence will be a lot better than what we have. So what I am saying is that unit is improved. Not perfect, but much improved on paper.

I have said it before, We dont need the 85 Bears D to win this division. We need to get to an above average and work our way up. He wasn't going to solve all the issues in one yr. And there are more very important areas other than ONLY Pass rush. We need 2 CB's and a NT a real NT to make this thing work.

If you dont think this LB unit has been upgraded then Ballard needs to be fired for spending 50 million dollars on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
Spending the money we have on Sheard and thinking that he is not meant to be a difference maker is absurd. I personally am not convinced that he is that much of a difference maker, but in the eyes of management that is the marque signing, and their major attempt to upgrade the position.

The glaring need for the Colts is CB, we just don't have any bodies, let alone starting quality players besides Davis. We need to acquire at least 2 if not 3 players who are better than Melvin as he is not a starting quality corner, he should be our 4th or 5th option.

We also need to bring in a NT and an ILB, but this might have to happen over a two year period. Pass rush and corners go hand in hand, better pash rushers mean the corners have less time to have to cover a receiver, whereas a quality corner can provide a pass rusher that extra half a second to disrupt a play. In my eyes the reason why Freeney was such a dominant player for the Colts and why he was light years ahead of Mathis, was that he of course got a large number of sacks, but on almost every single pass play he caused disruption, he forced the QB to make a hurried pass, or to move from his primary target to a check down play or at the very least forced the offensive line to always double team him, creating mismatches for others.

Drafting a couple of corners at the top of this draft could very well make Sheard look a lot better than he might otherwise do, fail to address the corner position and even Freeney might struggle to look anything other than mediocre in his prime, as our corner situation is that dire at the moment.
The contract given to Sheard does not imply that they expect him to be a difference maker. They can get out of the deal next year with marginal impact if they want. Total $ does not equal real $ in NFL deals.

Counting on Simon to be anything more than a stable rotation piece is folly. Maybe he'll surprise, but you can't count on him to make a substantial difference.