ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,416 Posts
Default IndyStar on Rigoberto Sanchez 7/30

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ing/842585002/

Quote:
WESTFIELD -- Rigoberto Sanchez couldn’t be much different than the guy he replaced.

Sanchez is a quiet and reserved 23-year-old, keeping to himself and going to bed around 9 p.m. every night. Pat McAfee … well, he wasn’t quiet. And may not have gone to bed around 9 p.m. on most nights.

Sanchez tries to “not pay attention too much to social media.” McAfee has more than 1 million followers on Twitter.

McAfee quickly became one of the most recognizable names on the Colts roster. Sanchez came into the organization last season as an undrafted free agent out of Hawaii, and few expected him to even win the punting job in camp. That was supposed to go to veteran Jeff Locke. Sanchez was thought to be just another practice leg.

Yet it didn’t take long last year for Sanchez to make a big impression in the midst of a forgettable Colts season. He set franchise rookie records for total punts (84) and punt yards (3,764), being named to the Pro Football Writers of America’s (PFWA) 2017 NFL All-Rookie Team and ranking fourth in the league with a 42.6 net punting average. His 44.8-yard average was the 20th best by a rookie in NFL history. He also handled kickoffs and holding duties for Adam Vinatieri.

And that was when he was still finding his footing in the league. Heck, even the sport. He only started playing football in high school after switching from his first love, soccer.

“I want to be better than I was last year, more consistent,” he said of the upcoming season. “That’s the goal. Every single kick matters, no matter what the situation is, whether we’re winning by a lot or losing by a lot. I come out there and perform and do the best I can do.”

Sanchez got to work with his predecessor early last season, getting some tips from McAfee on holding. But he was never hesitant about replacing one of the biggest personalities in the locker room.

“I don’t really worry about those kinds of things. I just try to come out here and perform the best I can,” he said. “It’s an honor to be in (McAfee's) shoes now. I see it that way. People know he had a big personality and know I’m a more quiet guy, but I do what I need to do and help the team as best I can.”

With a season under his belt, don’t expect Sanchez to become an overpowering presence in the room. But his comfort level entering this season is worlds apart from where it was a year ago.

“Last year I was competing with myself, but there was someone else right there that had their situation going on and they had already played in the league for a while,” he said of Locke. “Last year and this year is very different.”

Sanchez might be one of the only players on the roster say “the whole year was a highlight for me” when referring to last year’s 4-12 campaign, but memories of the Snowmaggedon game in Buffalo and the team’s trip to Seattle come to mind. And with experience comes confidence.

“I used the platform I had from last year,” he said. “I’m using that experience and putting it into play this year. I feel like that can help me.”

Of course, it helps to be in the same position as one of the most prolific kicker in NFL history. Sanchez calls Adam Vinatieri “a wise guy,” and there’s plenty of football knowledge to glean from the player who made his NFL debut before Sanchez turned 2 years old. But there’s also fishing and hunting to discuss.

“I’m really thankful to be learning off of him,” the Colts punter said of Vinatieri. “He’s seen a lot of things throughout his career.”

And of course, he’ll have the support of McAfee too. It took all of two games into Sanchez’s career for him to send a tweet praising his successor.

“This Rigoberto kid is talented,” McAfee tweeted during the Colts’ Week 2 loss against Arizona, when Sanchez averaged 42.4 yards on seven punts.

“57 yard bomb from Rigoberto... Dude is incredibly talented,” McAfee tweeted during the team’s Week 6 game in Tennessee.

Sanchez sometimes hears from friends and family when McAfee gives him a shoutout, but he doesn’t go searching on his own.

“It’s pretty cool, but I try to not pay attention too much to social media,” Sanchez said.

Whatever he’s doing, it’s working. Just a year ago, he was in the unenviable position of having to replace one of the most vocal fan-favorites in the league. Now, his leg is saying plenty. And he expects even more of himself going forward.

“The expectations are always going to be very high,” Sanchez said. “That goes for everybody on the team. Nothing changes from last year, other than getting better.”
Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 AM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Here is hoping that Ballard can pluck an undrafted rookie gem out every now and then who performs at high levels.

Finding someone who could be a long term starter from UDFA land is just pretty darn special and helpful to a team.

Jeff Saturday. Gary Brackett. Terrence Wilkins. Dominic Rhodes. Ryan Lilja. Melvin Bullitt.

Polian had a pretty special gift for bringing in UDFAs who ended up contributing.

Here is hoping that Ballard has picked some of that up. He hit a pretty good one in his rookie year as a GM; hopefully, the trend will continue.

Walk Worthy,
Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Here is hoping that Ballard can pluck an undrafted rookie gem out every now and then who performs at high levels.

Finding someone who could be a long term starter from UDFA land is just pretty darn special and helpful to a team.

Jeff Saturday. Gary Brackett. Terrence Wilkins. Dominic Rhodes. Ryan Lilja. Melvin Bullitt.

Polian had a pretty special gift for bringing in UDFAs who ended up contributing.

Here is hoping that Ballard has picked some of that up. He hit a pretty good one in his rookie year as a GM; hopefully, the trend will continue.

Walk Worthy,
If Ballard has drafts that are as productive as this year's has the potential to be (IMO there is potential for six starters and eight players who see a lot of playing time from this draft class), he won't need to hit on UDFAs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (07-31-2018)