Thread: Rivers Retiring
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 11:38 AM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
This is surprising. I was fairly positive he'd be back next season based upon his comments at the end of the season about how much he loved the season and the team, and how he felt like he'd be up for another season. And let's not forget that he was pushing the Colts for a two-year deal last offseason, and that he said something at the time to the effect that even though he signed a one year deal, he thought he'd play multiple seasons for the Colts.

With all this considered, my suspicion is his retirement is due to one of two things: (1) the Colts let him know they were planning to go in a different direction, or (2) his wife/family convinced him to call it quits.
I'm surprised as well. Figured by everyone's comments that he'd be back for another year and then we'd be handing the reins to Eason/early draft pick for the '22 season.

I wonder if his foot injury played into it as well. He may have gotten a few medical opinions on it with the consensus being that he'd have to have surgery and extensive rehab to play able to play next year vs. rest and rehab if he retired.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (01-20-2021)