View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 AM

Thanked 1,197 Times in 528 Posts

From his NFL.com draft profile:
Quote:
STRENGTHS Releases cleanly and accelerates into patterns. Outstanding athletic ability and receiving skills. Threatens every level. Advanced route runner. Pierces the seam and is a mismatch vs. man coverage -- regularly bested defensive backs. Terrific quickness, agility, balance and body control. Catches cleanly off his frame. Makes one-handed grabs look routine. Wide catching radius. Catches on the move and has an extra gear to pile up yards. Excellent production. Will be a 21-year-old rookie.
WEAKNESSES Lacks ideal bulk. Can improve as a blocker, both in-line and on the move -- could stand to improve technique, physicality and finish. Not equipped to lock horns with NFL defensive ends. Inconsistent adjusting to and fitting on moving targets. Could stand to play with more consistent intensity and focus. Makes the occasional concentration drop. Ordinary touchdown production. Can be loud, boisterous and overly egotistical, which will rub some people the wrong way.
DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1
BOTTOM LINE Highly athletic, highly productive "F" tight end loaded with upside and mismatch capability. Possesses the speed, movement skills, hands and run-after-catch skills to emerge as a playmaking weapon in the pros, though has room to continue developing as a blocker.
DRAFT ANALYSIS People ask me to compare him to Vernon Davis. He's not as quick or as twitchy as Davis, but he's a better athlete with better hands. Everything this kid does is easy. He is one of best athletes I've seen at that size. When you combine him with (the Lions' other tight ends) Joseph Fauria and Brandon Pettigrew, all of a sudden Matthew Stafford has a lot of weapons on that offense. -- Mike Mayock
First set = Eric Ebron. Second set = Jack Doyle's last 4 years.

2014 / 49 targets / 25 receptions / 51.0% catch rate / 022 targets / 18 receptions / 81.8% catch rate
2015 / 69 targets / 47 receptions / 68.1% catch rate / 014 targets / 12 receptions / 85.7% catch rate
2016 / 86 targets / 61 receptions / 70.9% catch rate / 075 targets / 59 receptions / 78.6% catch rate
2017 / 86 targets / 53 receptions / 61.7% catch rate / 107 targets / 80 receptions / 74.7% catch rate

Ebron has talent coming out of his ears. If he can allow himself to be led by Jack Doyle's example and improve his blocking and catch rate, he should excel in the type of offenses that PHI and SD uses (which is what I am assuming will be installed here).

Jack Doyle had the 6th best run blocking grade of all TEs in 2017 according to PFF. Ebron was the 36th ranked run blocker. If he can be led....

Honestly, I think this was a good signing. He has talent and now that we might have coaches.... It was a position of need for another quality body and we have a guy who has produced and started a lot of games in the NFL. He has averaged 45 catches, 500 yards and 3 TDs a season in 4 years.

I also agree that it will be interesting to see him where he is not "the guy" and just "a guy." The kind of pressure that can come with being drafted #10 overall, only TE drafted in 1st round and 3rd offensive speciality player picked (after Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans) could be pretty overwhelming.

Price is higher than I would have expected but then so are almost all the contracts that lower tier guys are getting. Moncrief at up to $11.5m for 1 year? Really?

Good signing.

Walk Worthy,