View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 09:18 AM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Just curious, what level of team performance would it take for you to change your mind on Pagano even the slightest bit? 12-4? 13-3? Deep playoff run? I'm actually curious as to the level of bias here.
Hmmm...that is an interesting question.

IMO, I would want to see a couple of things in order to have my mind "eased" as to Pagano's ability as a Head Coach in the NFL.

#1 = Winning record and winning the AFC South. This is very achievable with the roster we had in 2016 and I expect that the 2017 roster will be better. If this is not achieved, then the team has not achieved.

#2 = Game starting game plans that are effective. So often, it feels like we have zero clue that the opposing team is going to do what they have been doing all season long! "What? The Titans are going to run the rock with 2 RBs? Who knew?!?" I don't feel like we attack weakness very often; we just "do what we do."

#3 = Effective halftime adjustments. See Point #2 above but, again, we don't seem to attack identified weaknesses very well. "We do what we do."

#4 = Having the team play DISCLIPLINED football. Throwing for 40 yards on a 3rd down and 1. Committing unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on opposing team failed 3rd down plays. Offside penalties. Chronic drops on 3rd down pass plays. Any delay of game penalty. Just about any pass interference penalty. Catching the ball 7 yards downfield on 3rd down and 9. Ever getting caught with too many men on the field. Having to burn a timeout because someone is not on the field for a special teams play. Those are all the result of an undisciplined team.

#5 = Pure Head Coaching decisions. Use of timeouts. Decision to go for it on 4th down. Decision to kick a FG or continue an offensive drive. Decision to play "prevent" defense. Decision to continue an attacking offense or go time eating "ball control." One point conversion or two point conversion? Those used effectively greatly enhance a team's chances of winning a game. Used poorly....

Those are the criteria that I would use when evaluating Pagano in 2017. While point #1 has quite a bit to do with player talent, NONE of the other points depend on that; they depend on a coaches ability to lead their team.

Cheers,
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (01-31-2017), Dewey 5 (01-31-2017), mluntz01 (02-02-2017), njcoltfan (01-31-2017), omahacolt (01-31-2017), OneVoice (01-31-2017), Racehorse (01-31-2017), whtwudusay (01-31-2017), Wyatt (01-31-2017)