View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
What Dam said. The author says Luck "looks like a different QB." I say, he could always do this. The difference is that he's only now being asked to do it.
I think to some degree both are true. The previous schemes and, to a lesser degree, talent level required the Favre like gun slinger, “its all on me” mentality. They won and lost almost solely on his individual brilliance. His ability to throw a guy open, his ability to deliver a perfect throw as he’s being crushed by a defender, or his toughness to tuck the ball, run, and lower a shoulder to get that extra yard if necessary. It worked until it didn’t. And over time it becomes a bad habit that can limit a QBs ceiling. Luck was on that path.

Reich’s scheme places Xs and Os over individual brilliance. He puts guys in position to make plays. He understands what a player brings to the table and uses it to stress the defense. There is an article out there about the Colts use of Ebron that mentions Reich’s pitch to Ebron. The basic pitch was that Reich understood Ebron’s unique skills and how to utilize them. He wouldn’t be an every down player, but when he was used it would be as a difference maker. I don’t think anyone can argue Reich hasn’t done exactly that. And you see it with most of the other offensive players. And that includes Luck IMO. Instead of being the entertaining and brilliant sole member of a one man band, Luck is becoming the boring, but no less brilliant conductor of a much larger orchestra. Luck has always had it in him - he’s a smart unselfish player - but I think it’s also a mistake to believe Luck isn’t becoming a better player under Reich’s leadership.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (11-16-2018)