View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Disagree. New York Giants under Parcells- that's what a friend characterized us as in this new version, and it fits perfectly. They had Phil Simms at QB, he was never asked to be Dan Marino, he was asked to play good football and make great decisions and to rely on the strength of the team around him, call it game manager if you need, but he constantly put the team in a position to win. They were a constant SB threat behind a brilliant coach, a great running game and a tremendous D. You can't name a WR from that era, they had a great TE in Bavaro but never had a standout WR for Simms to throw to but time and time again their coach proved he was better than the others in the league. I think that's exactly what we have in Frank.

I fully believe a tandem of Ballard and Reich are the perfect guys to construct a team that is contrarian to the current cheat code offenses proliferating the landscape, a team that just imposes their will. Without the massive investment at the QB position you can build up a lot of skill in different areas. I loved the arcade level excitement of the Manning years throwing the ball all over the field, but all that top end offensive expense, it got us one title.
I'm not saying it can't happen, but has any team in the last 15 years won a SB with that strategy?
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (10-08-2019)