View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Not my point - only saying that when you sign one of your own free agents to a big contract, at least you have the security of knowing the player well. When you trade for someone else's player and then pay him big bucks, there's an added element of risk because you just don't know other teams' players as well as your own.
Exactly. And how well they fit and produce in your scheme. I don’t think there is much doubt Buckner will be the best DT on the Colts roster and an improvement, but will he still be All Pro level with the changes? It’s one of the major reasons free agency is so risky - so much in the NFL depends on scheme and the players around you. This is riskier than a big FA signing because not only did Buckner get paid, the team gave up the 13th pick in the draft. It’s a huge risk, for admittedly a hugely talented player at a position of need. Still a huge risk though.

For the record, I’m not saying Buckner was a product of the system or anything. Just pointing out the concern with projecting other teams players.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (03-18-2020)