View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Chaka, I don’t really dispute anything you’ve said. I just question if continuing the vet approach at QB is the right approach. I understand that going the rookie route is risky and probably expensive. However, rotating through reclamation projects has costs as well. I want them to identify their guy and go get him. I don’t see QB as a position where you keep plugging in reclamation projects until one sticks. We will see where he goes with it.

But I’ll be clear again - I like and support Ballard. I just don’t believe he’s beyond questioning in this area.
Yeah, I hear you. Ultimately you have to play the cards you're dealt though. In this sense, Ballard is a victim of his own success, since he's otherwise built a quality roster. So even without a high-end QB I suspect we're going to perform well enough to always be drafting at the back end of the first round. Given this fact, he has three choices: (1) go the free agent/trade route, (2) take a flyer on a late first round QB and wait for him to develop, or (3) mortgage the future to trade up for a high first round QB pick.

The free agent/trade route seems the most logical to me in light of our current roster. We have the cap room to take on a large contract and someone like Wentz seems like a natural fit assuming Reich is on board. We'd have him locked up for four years, but we'd only be committed for two. In the meantime, the Colts can continue to work with Eason, perhaps elevating him to a backup, or if he's not working out take another mid-round lottery pick to develop. I just don't see the Colts going the draft route unless its in conjunction with the separate signing/acquiring of a quality veteran QB.