View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 01:08 PM

Thanked 1,197 Times in 528 Posts

Dang....

I was doing research on the potential hiring of Josh McDaniels and found a few tidbits.

From this article on a Cheats board (Pats Pulpit....here), they looked at McDaniels' offense from 2006 - 2014 and who got the ball (touches) and who gained the most yards.

This period includes McDaniels' 1st time as Cheats OC (2006 - 2008), Denver HC (2009 - 2010) and St. Louis OC (2011) before returning to the Cheats for a 2nd time as OC (2012 - 2014).

What did he find?
Quote:
Running backs have accounted for 63.3% of offensive touches and 41.3% of the offensive yards from scrimmage.
Quote:
Roughly 30% of the touches will go to the wide receivers, as will 45-50% of the yards from scrimmage.
So, through the majority of his time as OC or HC, his offenses have featured his RBs followed by his WRs with his TEs coming in dead last.

I did some spot analysis of the Cheats 2016 / 2017 numbers and they are in line with the above figures.

So, to bring that back to this thread.

Fact A = Ballard says that he drafts BPA pretty much exclusively (obviously, not at QB but otherwise...).

Fact B = Under a McDaniels' offense, the RBs average touching the ball on 63% of the offensive plays (run or pass).

Fact C = The Colts RB corps for 2018 currently is underwhelming. Even if they re-sign Frank Gore, they are still, at best, NFL average.

Fact D = Penn State RB Saquon Barkley is considered by many to be the best player in the 2018 draft and completely NFL ready to start and succeed from day one. Obviously, the combine and the vetting process may change this assessment but as of now....

Ergo, if McDaniels' is the next HC of the Colts, Barkley will be our pick at #3 overall in the 2018 draft. Need plus BPA marry up on this one.

Further, if McDaniels' is the next HC of the Colts, I fully expect that at least 2 "monster" free agency contracts signed by us will be offensive line.

Sigh....not the way that I want it to happen. I like Barkley but our O-Line / Defensive Front-7 are not stocked well enough for us to pick a "luxury" pick of RB at #3 overall, IMO.

But, he will be Andrew's "Edge" and that will make Irsay and McDaniels very happy.

Walk Worthy,

Last edited by sherck; 01-12-2018 at 01:10 PM.