View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 08:35 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,663 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I understand that's how it USUALLY works, but Holder is saying otherwise in this case, so I'm working with that info for the moment. You are assuming something else. Nevertheless, I acknowledged that it was confusing to me.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Do you mean that there BOTH options and buyouts in the same contract in other sports? If so, I still don't see what relevance that observation has here. The point is that this is nothing like an option as you had originally said.

But it begs the question of whether we should have signed him at all. By this logic we could "increase" our cap space by $18.5 million if we didn't sign him at all.

Please stop using the Colts cap space as an excuse for the contract. It's not a good one as I've explained in countless prior posts. If he's worth the money, he's worth it regardless of our cap space.
You should read up on contracts, options, and how the NFL salary cap works, because your comments here are reflecting a poor understanding of these concepts.

Point by point:

1) Roster bonuses are only ever guaranteed if you're on the roster on the day the bonus requires. This money is always referred to as guaranteed when the figure is reported, but it isn't actually guaranteed unless the team decides to keep the player on the roster.

2) Yes, options have buyouts. That's what makes them options, the team has the OPTION to pay the full salary and keep the player, or pay a lesser amount, the buyout, and terminate the contract. It's structured a little differently in the NFL, but the functional effect is the same.

3) No, it doesn't. Justin Houston is a very good player who could still possibly produce at an elite level. Considering the player and the position, the Colts got a very good deal.

4) I still don't understand why you believe this contract is bad, or at the very least not good. You haven't really explained that well. If you think Houston is washed up, you're entitled to that opinion, but you're arguing against his production in that case, and he's actually produced quite well in the past 2 seasons. I see no other logical reason why anyone could consider this contract a not good contract.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (03-27-2019), Racehorse (03-28-2019)