Thread: Draft 2021
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 08:39 PM

Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
There is no right way or wrong way to build a team. There is just effective and ineffective. The Bucs went FA at the most two important positions and had a great draft and won again this year. We had our recent golden age primarily through the draft. But it was a FA (a trade specifically) in Booger that pushed that team over the top. I’m ok with having whatever theory a GM supports, as long as it is effective.

Ballard and team are top five drafters, so I’m good with it. Grigson was a horrible drafter, that’s why the core of the team went downhill. But there is nothing wrong with complimenting your roster with FA. Everyone liked the Xavier Rhodes signing right? Denico Autry? Houston? It seems the attitude is we don’t need FA’s except when we actually sign one. Unfortunately pass rushers are highly in demand, they go early in the draft, they go early in FA. And I’m not saying blow our cap on FA’s, no one is saying that. But would it hurt to bring in a young pass rusher in case Turay, Lewis, and Banagu don’t work out? Seems a wise precaution.

As for beefing up the run defense. It’s nice, but besides our division rivals, this is a passing league now. We play with five defensive backs the majority of the time, we play with six defensive backs more than our base 4-3. It’s just the way the league is trending. Having a strong run defense almost belongs 30 years ago than now.
I am glad you acknowledge that Ballard actually does sign quality free agents. Most critics of his free agency approach ignore those.