Thread: Draft 2021
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 10:44 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,681 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
We have had one championship in the last 49 years. We have been signing big time free agents since Will Wolford. It has not led to dominance. This is the first time I can recall when we have someone who values line play above all else. Ballard said when hired that he would build the lines and a defense that could stop the run. Every freaking GM seems to say that. He actually has done it. Our pass rush isn't there yet but does anyone believe Ballard thinks it is? He just builds a team his way. He has done enough already that I have confidence he will get it done.
There is no right way or wrong way to build a team. There is just effective and ineffective. The Bucs went FA at the most two important positions and had a great draft and won again this year. We had our recent golden age primarily through the draft. But it was a FA (a trade specifically) in Booger that pushed that team over the top. I’m ok with having whatever theory a GM supports, as long as it is effective.

Ballard and team are top five drafters, so I’m good with it. Grigson was a horrible drafter, that’s why the core of the team went downhill. But there is nothing wrong with complimenting your roster with FA. Everyone liked the Xavier Rhodes signing right? Denico Autry? Houston? It seems the attitude is we don’t need FA’s except when we actually sign one. Unfortunately pass rushers are highly in demand, they go early in the draft, they go early in FA. And I’m not saying blow our cap on FA’s, no one is saying that. But would it hurt to bring in a young pass rusher in case Turay, Lewis, and Banagu don’t work out? Seems a wise precaution.

As for beefing up the run defense. It’s nice, but besides our division rivals, this is a passing league now. We play with five defensive backs the majority of the time, we play with six defensive backs more than our base 4-3. It’s just the way the league is trending. Having a strong run defense almost belongs 30 years ago than now.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 04-20-2021 at 12:25 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (04-20-2021), rcubed (04-20-2021), rm1369 (04-20-2021)