Thread: Gerald McCoy
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 11:06 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Sitting on $55m in cap space as an expected solid playoff team is not a good balance to me. This thread in particular is about McCoy who it doesn’t appear the Colts were even really in the running for. And if I remember correctly you have been big on Suh. Would Suh (also not in the running for) or McCoy not have helped this D? Both of those guys signed one year contracts so let’s not pretend the only options available to Ballard is what he has done or completely mortgaging the future on ridiculous contracts like those given to Flowers and Collins. If you are happy with Ballard’s balance then great. But it’s certainly not crazy to believe he’s putting to much into the future at the expense of today.
I honestly believe Ballard is as big on culture, locker room, and making sure a player is a good fit with the team as he says he is. Some GMs pay lip service to those concepts as they go out and blow huge chunks of cap on mercenaries that have the opposite effect. Ballard seems to evaluate each player on the basis of how he'll fit the team both on and off the field. I don't necessarily always agree with his decisions, and I do think McCoy could have potentially helped the team on a 1 year deal, but I can also see the argument against it from a football perspective (he's 31 and his numbers have been on the decline), I have no idea how his off the field fit factored into the decision, and it's possible that Eberflus is telling Ballard that he doesn't want any 300+ pound DL and he feels his scheme works best without them. I also think Montez Sweat would've been a better use of the 26th overall pick than trading down 20 spots and only getting a 2019 2 for the trouble, but Ballard has made enough smart moves thus far to get the benefit of the doubt from me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (06-13-2019), Racehorse (06-13-2019)