View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
This is why I’m not convinced 4 or more QBs will go in the top 5. It depends on how the teams evaluate them and how they come off the board. Would you trade significant draft capital for the 4th rated QB on your board? Sounds like a damn good way to get fired if you ask me. Denver is a prime example. Yes they need a QB for the long by haul but do you really think they have a top half first round grade on 4-5 of these QBs? I don’t. They will take one if a guy they rank highly is there, but they aren’t going to grab whatever is leftover just because fans and media think they should. And someone trading up is the same if not worse. It’s possible they fall in a way that everyone gets a guy they believe in, but I don’t see GMs staking their jobs on a move up for their 4th or 5th choice.
But here's the rub - not everyone agrees who the 4th or 5th QB choice is. For example, if Baker Mayfield is left after 3 other QBs have been taken, it's likely that someone has him more highly rated on their board. Hence, while you're correct that Denver might not take him if they don't view him as elite, someone else (or several someone elses) might be willing to trade into Denver's slot to grab him. And they'll think they got a bargain for doing so. Without a trade, I'd agree that 4 QBs being taken in the first five is unlikely. But there's nearly always a trade when QBs are up for grabs, so I don't think that a no-trade scenario is likely.

By way of example, the Jets just traded significant draft capital to the Colts just for the opportunity to take whoever is left after the first two picks have been selected. And they don't even know who they might get to choose from. These QB-needy teams are desperate, and I think the success of last year's QB crop is fueling this somewhat

Last edited by Chaka; 04-02-2018 at 06:47 PM.