Thread: Recipe thread
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 12:26 PM
Accidental Administrator

Default Asian Meat Monday

Yea, cultural appropriation. It's got soy sauce so it must be Asian. This is a simple recipe that is a go to on school nights. Can be done end to end in about 30 mins.

Note, it's super easy to get this too salty, do not add salt to anything until you get to the end and taste it. Not all my recipes are complicated.

Note on meat. This recipe is originally made for beef, but can be chicken, pork, even (very firm) tofu, hell it might be good with hamburger and served as a side over veg. I think the best beef for this is a cheap sirloin. The meat ends up being braised, so it gets tender even if it's not one of the best cuts. Once we ordered a whole strip loin and cut it into steaks. We had over a pound of meat scraps leftover and cooked it on an Asian meat Monday. This is a great way to get rid of that one steak you have in the freezer etc.

Asian Meat

1 lb. beef
3 T. Sugar (less if you are not a sweet meat fan)
2 T. Sesame oil (yea, this makes it tend toward Thai food, but it's a great flavor)
1 T. Sesame oil (another for later)
3 T. of soy sauce (low sodium if you have it)
3 T. of Oyster Sauce (if you don't have this, use more soy. In general, 6 T. of an asian sauce, primarily soy. If you use the full 6 T. of full sodium soy, this will be too salty)
2 Pinches of crushed red pepper
2 green onions, chopped thin on a bias (a quarter of a regular onion is fine)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 T. Flour
1/3 C. water (for later)

1. Start cooking 2 cups of rice, we use sushi rice... I'm not going to tell anyone how to cook rice, just that you need to start it now as you will be done in about 25 mins.
2. Cut the beef into thin slices, about 1" x 2" x 1/4". I cut whatever beef I'm using into 2" wide strips and then slice it thin. Put the slices in a medium sized bowl.
3. Add remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the water and the single T. of Sesame oil.
4. Let marinate at least 20 mins.
5. Add reserved sesame oil to 10" lidded skillet. Heat over high-medium heat.
5. Once hot, dump the bowl Into the skillet.
6. Cook until meat is just browned. Longer if you are using chicken or pork.
7. Add the water and wait until it boils.
8. reduce heat to Low, cover and simmer 20 mins.

Serve over rice.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (11-25-2019), Spike (11-25-2019)