Thread: Rivers Retiring
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
If the reports about Ballard inquiring about Love are correct then this was not based on the Colts decision. The only way you say no to Rivers, especially this early, is if you already have something in place that’s an improvement. I do not believe Ballard is that big a gambler- or that irresponsible.
That’s a good data point to add to the mix, and I agree with your interpretation if the Love inquiry is true. I kinda question that report, though, since why would the Colts think the Packers would be willing to trade Love at this point, after the Packers have invested a year of development? The Packers drafted Love when they already had Rodgers in the fold and playing at a high level, so nothings really changed except Rodgers is a year older. And I really don’t see the Colts going into next year with an inexperienced QB at the helm, particularly one coming from another organization.

It is also possible Rivers sensed that the Colts were going to find someone else, and just decided to retire now rather than to drag it out. I would think the Colts would want to keep the appearance that Rivers is in play for as long as possible, so potential trade partners / free agents would not sense any urgency or desperation. So I suppose that works against my theory as well. I just have a hard time believing that Rivers had an abrupt change of heart on something as significant as retirement in a little more than a week.