Thread: Edgerrin James
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
So you think LT is in the top 5 all-time?
As an all around back of the SB era, yes

There are two pure runners, one pre-SB area and one in the SB era, that stand out just as pure running backs. Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. I never watched Jim Brown, plus it was a whole different era with less passing and pass blocking for RBs, so I don't know how good he was outside of running, or in other words catching and pass blocking. ANd Sanders was a great runner, but there were better all around back as well

IN terms of all around RBs in the SB era, you have LT, Emmitt Smith (he benefitted from a great line and great team more than the others), Marshall Faulk, Walter Payton. You can argue what order they go in, but that group stands out I think from the others.

ANd if Edge had not been injured, he would have been added to that group as well. With his injury and considering his whole career, not quite up to that level. I guess that is only 4 in that group, but then after those 4 you can go to guys like Adrian Peterson, Marcus Allen, Tony Dorsett, I suppose you could add Gore and Curtis Martin in there though I think Edge was better than those two

The real key with RB ratings is always going to be
1. Are you looking at all around back or just as a runner AND
2. Are you considering their peak career or overall career, those things often vary quite a bit

As an all around back at the peak of his career, pre-injury, I would agree Edge was as good as any of them.