View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 09:17 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

In the 1st half, the Colts came away with 0 points on their first possession of the game after going for it on 4th down deep in Titans territory.

In the 2nd half, the Colts failed to score on 4th and goal from the 1 yard-line on their opening drive ...... but the Colts' defense held the Titans deep in their own territory, and allowed the offense to have great field position to put it in the end zone soon afterward anyway.

These are the kinds of things that can often break a bad or average team within the scope of a single game, but good teams will more often than not overcome them. I'm not necessarily proclaiming the 2020 Colts to be a good team, but it certainly was reassuring for me as a fan of theirs to see them have 2 potentially very big failures in a crucial game and still find a way to be patient, not panic, and outplay their opponent for the victory.

o
o

(1 Weeks Later, vs. PACKERS)

Wow ....... there were numerous situations this week which might have turned the Colts back. And I admit, when the Packers went up by 14 points TWICE in the first half, I was pretty worried.

The fumble early in the first quarter, immediately after our own defense caused one of their own.

The missed 50-yard field goal attempt, which was arguably a 10-point swing. In addition to not getting the 3 points, the miss gave the Packers a short field and helped them drive for a touchdown.

The ensuing INT on the Colts' next possession, which Rodgers and company converted into another TD and a 14-point lead.

The Packers TD just before halftime to reclaim a 14-point lead (aided by a pass-interference call on a bomb.)

And of course, the failure of the offense to put the game away late in regulation ...... all of the holding calls and incomplete passes allowed the Packers to save one of their timeouts. Plus, the Colts had a field goal in their pocket which they blew by going backwards. That allowed Rodgers and the Pack to only need a field goal to tie the game (as opposed to needing a touchdown if the Colts had had a 6-point lead.)

Finally, just losing the coin-flip in OT sank the hearts of many Colts fans, as they projected the likelihood of Aaron Rodgers methodically working his offense down-field for the winning TD.

The Colts stood tall through all of that, and still had the intestinal fortitude to find a way to come away with the win.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (10-26-2021), Racehorse (11-23-2020), Spike (11-23-2020), TheMugwump (11-23-2020)