View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Let me be clear - I’m not faulting Ballard. You don’t have to blame him to deal with reality. The Colts are in the same position a lot teams find themselves in. Last off season he chose to continue building the roster instead of solving the QB issue. That’s fine. It’s not an easy issue to address and may take more than one offseason. I said last year that if he didn’t see his future QB in the that draft he should push the the #2s to this year (they typically bring a #1) to have more trade ammo to move up for his guy in this draft. That obviously has consequences. So does not having a QB. We’ll see how he handles it this offseason.

My only point is that any team building a roster that doesn’t prioritize the QB position is taking a risk. I like Ballard, he’s made some great moves. But he’s also going into his 5th offseason and the team has no QB, no LT, huge questions at edge rusher, and no playoff wins. So I’m not going to suck his dick. It’s not entirely his fault, but if at some point he doesn’t realize QB is not just another position then all his other work likely won’t matter at all. That’s simply reality.
Not really seeing it the way you do on the QB issue. Luck retired unexpectedly, so year one post-Luck he's forced to go with a wild card - Brissett - and quickly brought in an experienced backup (Hoyer). Not surprisingly, things didn't click.

Year two, he brings in Rivers, an older but certainly above average QB, on a one-year deal. He resists Rivers' overtures for a two-year deal, presumably because he think better options may become available and doesn't want to be locked in to Rivers for more than one year. He also uses a mid-level pick on a highly rated but project QB (Eason) - giving the Colts at least a year to see what he can do, and also providing a potential low-cost replacement for the expensive Brissett as a backup QB.

Now we are in year three post-Luck, and I don't think anyone outside the organization really knows what his QB plan is, but he's said quite clearly in interviews that he understands the importance of the QB position but won't be pressured into making the wrong move. I believe him - he's held firm on his vision so far despite howls of protest at times, while demonstrating that he's not afraid to make a decisive move if the opportunity presents itself (Buckner). He's also put the Colts in a good position via the cap to make such a move.

Whether that move is Wentz, Darnold, Trubisky or someone else, I don't know. I really don't think it will be a draftee though. We will have an experienced QB at the helm when the season starts. And whoever it is, given Ballard's demonstrated restraint, I'll be fairly confident that he's been vetted thoroughly and is likely to succeed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (02-11-2021), Racehorse (02-10-2021), rcubed (02-10-2021), Spike (02-15-2021)